Things We Might Do Under I4

spenser1058

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with building under freeways is the same as building next to them - noise and vibration. The skatepark is a good idea - those are compatible. But with a busy highway such as i-4 I think most ideas wouldn't really fit. You either have to find a group that has no problem with the noise and vibration, or some way to totally isolate the event from the noise. Personally, I think parking is often a very good idea.

How about cleaning it up first? It needs a good pressure washing and some paint to brighten it up. Have local artists cover the walkway from top to bottom with painted art to make it more interesting. Despite new lighting and benches, it still has that gloomy parking garage feel to it. Create an cool archway on both sides of church st, and reserve a lane along the perimeter of the pedestrian walkway for food truck parking & street vendors to serve food after events at the arena. The pillars aren't tall enough as they are in Miami to give it an airy feeling. Plus I'm always worried the overpass will pancake me if I hang out under there for too long.

• 6 months later...

Two thoughts on this:

1) The columns were wrapped with banners for the NBA All Star Game. I think they looked pretty cool. The fact that you can put a life size person on the column on a banner is pretty cool. Obviously cooler when they are NBA sized. Anyway, for Church Street, why not have Magic/Predators/Lions/Solar Bear players up there year round depending on the season. That is a corridor that connects Amway to the Citrus Bowl so the athletic vibe could be cool. Could also be switched out with stuff signifying Orlando's sports history etc.

2) The Livingston overpass is going to be completely redone with a lot of touchscreen stuff produced by Harris for Creative Village. If successful, I could see it replicated to other areas, especially if advertising could be done and generate revenue.

2) The Livingston overpass is going to be completely redone with a lot of touchscreen stuff produced by Harris for Creative Village. If successful, I could see it replicated to other areas, especially if advertising could be done and generate revenue.

Double edged sword. Done right, it could be great - a creative driver for the city, give people something to look at and make it stand out. Done poorly, however, this could be a dsiaster, just anoher billboard but even more intrusive. In that case it would seriously damage the creative village, signalling that it is more a commercial marketing venture than a real creative village.

Archived