History of Charlotte

city123

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to offer a *very* unpopular opinion--so no need to let me know that everyone disagrees!--but I don't really care for the style of the old train station, so it's one lost historic structure I can live with with (which is saying A LOT, for me). I most hate the tower, which is more prominent in the other views I've seen taken from the other vantage on Trade. Minus the tower, I don't dislike it so much.

I admit it's a personal prejudice, but I just don't really care for specific, regional architecture outside its native region, as a rule. I know the Mission style evolved and was hugely popular in the Midwest, but especially this iteration, I just think, "belongs in California or Colorado."

IMHO--and would accede to the majority and advocate for it to be saved if it were still here!

But SAVE HALL HOUSE!

Edited by ertley
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

One of those founders (maybe both) were involved in another Charlotte based food franchise prior to BoJ: Der Wiener Haus. Hot dogs in many fashions, toppings and sides. The DWH units had a deck on the front for dining outside. Tacos Nevado on South Boulevard just before Woodlawn is an existing building remaining from that franchise chain. I *may* recall that DWH was at S Tryon and West where the first BoJ was/is. DWH  lasted for a while but the profit margin on hot dogs was so slim it was destined to fail. Thus a new concept-spicy Cajun Chicken. 

I was at the Tryon and West BoJ today at lunch. 25 minute wait due to drive through only. No eating inside.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, Third Strike said:

Old CATS logo. I wonder if CATS will ever update the current one. 

663D8550-A1A0-479A-9C39-A3F895BF8531.jpeg

They are on their 3rd logo since this one... Pick something well designed and stick with it. All downhill after this one in my opinion.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My grandparents and great grandparents lived in Providence and Sharon and Pineville the township names and that is how their address was as it was not really Charlotte.  

My family history book that my brother is working on with my help has many references to Sharon or Providence including draft cards and so forth. 

• Like 1

I took an earthquakes seminar in college (science credit for this liberal arts major!) and one of the little nuggets of trivia/wisdom? I learned is that it's far better to have earthquakes occur with regular frequency , to relieve the tectonic pressure when it's not too intense, because it just continually increases with time, and so (obvs) the longer the duration between events, the worse they are when they come. 

WAY before the fantastic article in the New Yorker a few years ago--I highly recommend seeking it out, if you didn't read it, about the nearly-certain next Pacific Northwest earthquake that's a few years overdue, and thus is predicted to be mega, MEGA and hugely destructive when it hits--there was a piece in New York magazine, I think, that also talked about the fact New York City sits over/near several faults, and late 20th century forensic geologic science revealed that area has a history of 'seismic events' and that, as well, it's overdue for one, based on the geologic record. The biggest problem with both areas is that so much of their infrastructure and major buildings were built before any awareness of their seismic history and risk, and each and every structure built before, say, 1990, is going to be extremely vulnerable. Apparently large swaths of Seattle and Queens, built on reclaimed land, are expected to basically liquify if the next earthquakes are anywhere near what are feared.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:47 PM, KJHburg said:

Here is a history and explanation of the earthquake in Sparta NC from a leading scientist 

https://temblor.net/earthquake-insights/magnitude-5-1-earthquake-rattles-southeastern-u-s-11546/

Interesting reading for sure, but wonder why "Figure 26" doesn't reflect the Eastern Carolinas' quakes?  After all, Charleston's was pretty violent causing buildings to collapse.