Best Southern City for Interracial Family

ewelch1

Hello, My family is looking to relocate from the Chicago area to somewhere with warmer weather and more natural scenery (hiking, etc.), as well as a fairly major city for employment options. We are an interracial family (Indian/White) and I wondered if someone could help with suggestions for cities that are diverse in the south and accepting of interracial families? We have considered mainly Tennessee and North Carolina, but are open at this point.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, My family is looking to relocate from the Chicago area to somewhere with warmer weather and more natural scenery (hiking, etc.), as well as a fairly major city for employment options. We are an interracial family (Indian/White) and I wondered if someone could help with suggestions for cities that are diverse in the south and accepting of interracial families? We have considered mainly Tennessee and North Carolina, but are open at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Sabidee...

Charlotte NC

Raleigh NC

Asheville NC

Nashville TN

Knoxville TN

Atlanta GA

• 1 month later...

Sabidee...

Charlotte NC

Raleigh NC

Asheville NC

Nashville TN

Knoxville TN

Atlanta GA

If you are mainly looking at Tennessee and North Carolina then you should consider these cities:

Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Raleigh

Smaller cities could easily include Asheville & Chattanooga

All of these cities are unique to their cultural offerings and usually provide open arms to interracial couples.

The top two for job growth and opportunity would include Nashville and Charlotte, however. These cities are seeing unprecedented growth in the commerical and retail sectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help!

Race relations in Memphis suck...Memphis sucks in total, so avoid that cesspool...people there live a bifurcated existence indeed. You said you are considering cities in TN and NC but would consider OTHERs....you said you are open, right ?

My first choice would be Charlotte if you liked the Carolinas....other smaller cities would be Huntsville AL (a very intelligent city in N AL with a ton of people from all over the globe, thanks to NASA, the MArshall Spce Flight Center, and all of the ancillary businesses)

Atlanta should not be ignored....for a big city in the south, with great suburbs too, and a great travel hub.

Avoid Birmingham at all costs.

Look at coastal NC, and coastal SC

Avoid anywhere in N GA or S GA

Jackson MS is awful

Little Rock, AR is better than Memphis TN in many many ways, but still in AR

I would not ignore Florida at all........except rednecky Jacksonville...but look at Palm Coast, Orlando is getting a bit overcrowed.....Tampa Bay (including St. Pete, Clearwater, etc) is a good bet socio-culturally.....areas from Sarasota to Naples are superb but a bit expensive but very well educated populace.....avoid Miami for now, ditto Ft. Lauderdale.....

New Orleans is a Memphis-like cesspool...avoid it

San Antonio, TX is not a bad bet

Nashville is a good bet and is head and shoulders above place like Memphis or Jackson MS....nothing is good in MS....nothing

Places near or on the Oceans have always been more enlightened...places like Mrytle Beach, Hilton Head areas

Areas around the Tri-Cities of TN like Johnson City, Bristol, etc are full of rednecks and poorazz transplants recently from people who couldn't make it in Florida...

Knoxville is above average, but still has a sort of a redneck E TN flavour

On balance, if I were an interracial couple (no matter which races), I would investigate thoroughly many cities/towns in coastal Florida or SC/NC, why ?? because in US history, the inhabitants along coasts, and in port cities have SEEN and dealt with many many different cultures

, colors, races, religions, ethnic groups of various people for over 250 years.........that can't be said for hillbillies of the inlands, or the blacks or whites in the Mississippi Delta for instance.

Look for the water !

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up a dead thread that's probably irrelevant by now, but I just noticed it and wanted to throw in my two cents. On average from what I've seen, Knoxville and Nashville are best in Tennessee. Honestly? I'd say it's better in those two cities than it is where I live now, which is Philadelphia. This city and it's suburbs is nigh on segregated, even more so than the rural county in Tennessee I grew up in, and blame for that goes to both parties. You've got politicians and community leaders in the black community that stir up resentment and race-baiting with an us-or-them attitude, and you've got old money in the white community (especially the suburban white community) that wants to keep black people isolated in the old servant communities and in "their" parts of the city.

The aforementioned part about the coasts is spot-on, too. Even traditionalist cities like Charleston are relatively progressive in race relations due to their early cosmopolitan nature. Same for much of old coastal Florida (even colonial cities like St. Augustine).

Asheville is good, but avoid Jackson, MS and Birmingham, AL. Be careful about Atlanta. It's better than many but, in my opinion, still has a ways to go, and is (also in my opinion), about to be outpaced and outclassed by up and coming cities elsewhere. Stay away from Memphis and New Orleans at all costs unless you and a few thousand friends are on a mission to gentrify.

Archived