Raleigh Gems

Merboy

With the success of the Raleigh eyesores thread, I thought maybe we could talk about the features of the city that are especially attractive. So I'll begin. I love the shimmer wall. There I said it. I would make love to it. I think it's an attractive feature that adds class and identity to the city that helps make us a particularly beautiful place. I hope in the future we have more public art built into our buildings and structures.

Ok now you go.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Time + Light Tower on Capital. I love it defiantly giving the middle finger to all who despise public art as they finish the home leg of their commute down Capital Blvd every morning. It also bids them adieu as they set out on that 45 minute commute home. Really, I would like to bring it downtown where it will be appreciated. Maybe on the little island where Edenton and Hillsborough St come together. It would get nice afternoon and evening sun there.

City Plaza...without a doubt. The feature that I love the most are the light towers. Originally I thought that these would just be simple incandescent light towers. I was thoroughly shocked when they added the colored LED lights, not to mention the variable coloring. It turns simple light towers into an innovative work of art.

I also like the glass pavillions. These things really make Raleigh stand out and sceams creativity and class.

You know, I really like the light and time tower too, and I think you're right. If it were put somewhere downtown where one might expect to see something like its kind then people would be less inclined to think "are those solar panels? what is that?" and appreciate it more. But I also think as downtown develops and flourishes, it may creep up capital and bring its culture and art along with it. Hopefully at least.

You know, I haven't even seen the plaza yet. I need to go have a walk through soon. Is the city still hoping to encase the area in tall buildings? I bet the Edison will look absolutely grand from the plaza.

I think one that's often overlooked is the old Durham Life building (now Wake County offices) on Fayetteville Street. It's the only major office building Raleigh has of the Art Deco style.

Less known than Durham's Suntrust tower or Winston's RJR tower, since it's shorter than those two...but it does have all the main Art Deco style features that you expect in that sorta building. I'd like to see it cleaned up a bit more on the outside and maybe some spotlights along its grooves to make it more noticeable.

Did ya'll know that Harrelson Hall really IS on the endangered list? I'd heard that for years and always dismissed it as wishful thinking of those who actually had to attend class in it (as I did in the late 80s), but I was talking to one of the deans in PAMS at NC State the other day, and I believe he told me that it's demolition and replacement is now on NC State's official campus development plan (or whatever the heck they call it)

• 2 weeks later...

The CapTrust tower at North Hills represents a new concept for Raleigh...contemporary highrise architecture. On a serious note, I really do think that this bldg is both unique in design, innovative, and somewhat iconic. Now hopefully the trend will continue in Raleigh.

Archived