COMPLETED: Main and Temple Development (Sage-Allen Project)

Cotuit

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm with you. Delays, hassles, whatever, whether it was difficult or not, it wasn't handled in the right way. Are we grateful the space was finished? Sure. Are we glad the facade was kept, absolutely. But please don't tickle our asses with feathers and nice pictures with wrought iron railings then give us suburban condos.

Just so nobody gets the idea that this is bait and switch, there are more photos on the link and the interior shots are of the loft building, not the townhouses.

By the way, rowhouses are actually a city thing and were based on a measurement called a perch or a rod which is 1/4 of a chain or 16 1/2 ft. These units are about 10% narrower than a perch for anybody that cares...

I've never seen a downtown townhouse project done like this before, where townhouses are essentially built on the roof of a totally separate building. I don't think they look that bad- just- different. I wonder how the college students are going to treat that empty space between rows. Will it feel like a desolate alley and get trashed? Or a nice cozy little courtyard?

This shows that not every project has to be a 26 story tower (although some should be). It would be great if we could tuck more little residential communities like this one into downtown here and there, and increase the population.

I've never seen a downtown townhouse project done like this before, where townhouses are essentially built on the roof of a totally separate building. I don't think they look that bad- just- different. I wonder how the college students are going to treat that empty space between rows. Will it feel like a desolate alley and get trashed? Or a nice cozy little courtyard?

This shows that not every project has to be a 26 story tower (although some should be). It would be great if we could tuck more little residential communities like this one into downtown here and there, and increase the population.

I guess all I can really say is that I respectfully disagree with the assessment of the projects appearance. While I'm truly glad there isn't a surface parking lot in this location and the injection of youth in the center of the city is awesome I just don't like the way it looks. I realize it's just my opinion and preference and everyone is going to have a different take but some of the things that jump out at me:

-I don't think the original facade and the new structures on either side of it mesh well. I really don't like the contrast in colors between the two. One being quite ornate, the other very bare (maybe I should take up a collection!?!)

-The townhouses don't match anything else in the development. One of the photos in which all three portions are visable comes across as a mish-mash of colors and styles, I actually found myself saying "what the hell is that?"

-I feel as if the courtyard is going to become the equivalent of an urban cul-de-sac. A nice out of the way, invisible gathering spot for students. Maybe its more attractive to potential buyers if these units are ever sold, but I don't see it helping the "people on the street" feel which the city needs.

-Opening Temple Street to traffic, coupled with the townhouses back end facing the street actually makes this less pedestrian friendly than having the mix-master. I now see very little difference between Temple and Talcott Street. Maybe development of the lot behind the Richardson can fix this but when Constitution Plaza was built this was supposed to be the path connecting Main Street and the Plaza.

I don't want to be a buzzkill but I don't like the outside appearance of the building and while the inside might be what sells the building I won't be one of the 200 or so residents enjoying that aspect. Rather twice a week I'll be looking at a structure I just don't find asthetically pleasing. In spite of that I wish the project success and if the public loves the project all the better.

Archived