zman9810

Went and saw Avatar in 3d and think it was one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. I was so engrossed that I lost all sense of time. The special effects were great and the classic story of the oppressed rising up against their oppressors made for a very enjoyable experience. The message may have been a bit hokey and over done but overall positive and uplifting. It is a classic bit of escapism and fantasy that is the hallmark of most great movies.

So what is up with all the criticism of the film? Seems everyone from from the Vatican to various minority groups are jumping on a bandwagon of negativity about this movie. Is it simply because it is so big and successful? or is the criticism justified? Often times it seems various groups wait for any opportunity to make a statement in support of their positions regardless of the intent of the director, writer, etc.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen the movie yet, but that doesn't mean I haven't wanted to go. I just can't stomach paying $30 for my wife and I to go see a movie (this is to see it in 3D). I'm assuming they'll release the 3D version onto Blu-Ray...I'll just get it from Netflix. :)

I'm guessing the biggest part of the fuss is just because how popular the movie is becoming. The Vatican is fussing that it is trying to make 'being one with the planet' and a religious alternative (or something along those lines) and racial groups are complaining that once again the white man comes to save the oppressed (again.)

I think this is one of the most visually stunning movies to EVER come out of Hollywood, if you go see it you must see it in 3-D; no exceptions! The story is one that's been used in Hollywood to one degree or another and will be used again.

The one thing that has surprised me are the groups of people who are depressed and suicidal from not being able to get enough of Pandora and feeling guilty for what humans have done to the characters there. This is a fictional movie, if you are a grown adult and a fictional story can cause you this much trauma, you best lock yourself in the closet or prepare to spend a lot of time and money with a therapist!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but that doesn't mean I haven't wanted to go. I just can't stomach paying $30 for my wife and I to go see a movie (this is to see it in 3D). I'm assuming they'll release the 3D version onto Blu-Ray...I'll just get it from Netflix. :)

The one thing that has surprised me are the groups of people who are depressed and suicidal from not being able to get enough of Pandora and feeling guilty for what humans have done to the characters there. This is a fictional movie, if you are a grown adult and a fictional story can cause you this much trauma, you best lock yourself in the closet or prepare to spend a lot of time and money with a therapist!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived