The Good News Report

atlrvr

Los Angeles-based GEO Plastics will be opening their first east coast operation here in Charlotte. It will immediately employ 15 people to start off with, and hope to at least double in the next few years.

Additionally, Charlotte-based Wyndham Capital Mortgage plans to add 75 new employees this year.

This may not mean a lot in terms of the "Good News Report", but thought it was interesting that today Wells Fargo announced it was moving their head of corporate communications to Charlotte. If anything, it further solidifies the company's commitment to Charlotte especially considering this is Wells Fargo's largest operation with ~20,000 employees.

The CBJ print edition this week reported that AREVA (French based nucleur contractor) is likely to expand in Charlotte. There was a hint that its US nuclear operations may shift to Charlotte from Lynchburg, VA.

They already have a sizable presence up in University City, but it sounded like additional groups may join them there. No official announcement, but a company representative confirmed there are plans to expand in Charlotte.

Ally Bank is preparing for an IPO to help repay the US Govt for saving it. No additional word if it will sell its wholesale auto lending business to GM. If it did, I would think the likelihood of relocating the corp HQ to Charlotte would make more sense. None the less, it looks like the company will survive and grow.

Also, in general, the big 4 auditors and smaller firms have been expanding their advisory businesses in Charlotte at a pretty aggressive rate lately.

The Areva news is great. The article even mentioned that some manufacturing operations may be located in Charlotte.

One thing I am particularly excited about in the New Energy Capital initiative is that the possibilities are so numerous. Everything from HQs and back office ops, to R&D, to manufacturing can be part of the new initiative. Additionally it can be spread to multiple different types of energy...Nuclear, NatGas, Wind, Solar, etc. can all be part of the new initiative.

Hopefully at some point, the ENN HQ announcement will happen.

Going forward, I think that much remains that the city can do to help push it's energy initiative further. One major improvement would be the addition of Nuclear Engineering and Chemical Engineering departments at UNCC, as well as an Environmental Engineering department separate from the Civil Engineering department. Adding these departments could bring with them an associated engineering degree and engineering technology degree for each department. (Also adding Aerospace, Biomedical, Ocean, Manufacturing, and Petroleum Engineering would be great, but not necessarily for the energy initiative). Another idea would be to revamp University Research Park to be Energy's equivalent to the RTP or creating the Waxhaw Energy Research Park.

Edited by cltbwimob

Nuclear engineering will not happen at Charlotte from what I was told.

I was told that for every nuclear engineer that graduates, there are 20 other engineers needed to support them. These are the engineers that The EPIC building at Charlotte will be training.

I do hope we get to see some of the other engineering disciplines you mentioned however.

I'd also love to see ENN move their US HQ to Charlotte. I work in solar at the moment for one of the larger companies on the east coast and would love the opportunity to get on with a company back in the Charlotte area.

• 2 weeks later...

Combi USA is moving from Ft Mill to Charlotte and will double their workforce to 45.

Celgard is adding another 32 million dollar expansion to the Charlotte facility. Although there are no official numbers on the number of jobs this will bring, I would guess that there will be new jobs as a result.

The big news of the day-Diamler Trucks will be adding 628 positions to their Mount Holly and Gastonia plants. http://www.foxcharlo...-116180889.html

This actually belongs in the "ambiguous (but big) news report"

Activist investor Nelson Peltz has made an offer to purchase Family Dollar. He apparently has a reputation for shaking up firms.

http://online.wsj.co...ction#printMode

The 35% premium being offered would certainly give the Levines a larger wad of cash -- might be good for the community, then again they have already done more than their share.

Can't really see the point in moving the HQ post sale either.

EDIT: The above comment was made when there was only a hedge fund bidding for the company. The rumored bid from dollar general would clearly have different implications for employment in Matthews.

A sale would make me feel like we lost a strong corporate citizen -- but I guess most of the community outreach is from the family and not the firm.

Like I said, ambiguous.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

CBJ is reporting that Veteran's Affairs is planning a major medical complex (295,000 sqf) in Charlotte with a price tag of up to $200m and that would employ several hundred. It has two sites in the Charlotte area under final consideration but declined to name them.

Edited by Urbanity

Center City Partners have called a 2:00 p.m. press conference at the International Trade Center (5th/College) for a "Major Economic Development Announcement".

I'm uncertain what o make of this as if it was a major employer making a relocation here, it would certainly be the Governor or Mayor calling the press conference. Whatcha y'all think?

CCP's interests are in things like retail/public impression. Where as the Gov/Mayor's interests are dictated by political will and social opinion, ie. manufacturing and business.

Makes me think CCP will announce something that makes the city look good - retail?

EDIT: Green/City Market....?

Edited by The Escapists

How is this a "Major Economic Development Announcement"? Wake Forest has been offering their MBA here for years!

Unless they plan to buy the building and make it a significant satellite campus this feels like the biggest non-event.

Edited by Urbanity

How is this a "Major Economic Development Announcement"? Wake Forest has been offering their MBA here for years!

Unless they plan to buy the building and make it a significant satellite campus this feels like the biggest non-event.

Exactly what I was thinking... "Major" economic development. Really?I want to believe there is more to the story.

It's not a major economic event, but it does make Uptown more attractive to potential employees and employers. Wake MBA is the top rate MBA you can earn in Charlotte, so locating it Uptown means that the top talent would be drawn to jobs Uptown (as it is a part time MBA) and potentially at least rent uptown. Likewise, employers who are attracted to Wake MBA talent would be wise to chose Uptown over SP or B-Tyne to make it convenient for students. It probably will affect a minimal number of students and companies, but as Uptown tries to sell itself, it is certainly a strong marketing tool.

As far as jobs go, Celgard announced another expansion to its yet to be completed lithium battery plant in Concord. They announced new plants in both Charlotte and Concord back in 2009, and have announced expansions before completion at both locations in the last 6 months. They are quitely adding almost 500 jobs to the economy.

I believe many of the job announcements over the last 2 years will actually result in the promised jobs during 2011. It would not surprise me if by the end of the year, Meck's unemployment rate is a full percent less than the national average. (Currently it is about even)

Companies hiring at a strong pace right now or have ramped up to fill promised jobs:

Siemens

Shaw

Citco

BAE

Ally

Capgemini

Westinghouse

Electrolux

Areva

Aon/Hewitt

Ernst & Young

TIAA-CREF

SPX

Even BofA and Wells are hiring more than they are still laying off I believe.

And if you have Financial Services Compliance experience, you could probably have 5-10 job offers.

Aren't some on the list you provided in the Nuclear Power field? Seimens, Areva and Westinghouse. Will the impact from the events happening in Japan have any effect on these companies hiring. I worked for Babcock and Wilcox back during the 3 mile island event and it certainly put a huge damper on all new or proposed Nuclear Plants. I don't know if any of these companies are planning to have there nuclear engineering in Charlotte. As with B & W, other divisions did not feel any impact from the event. Sorry, I know this is supposed to be Good News Report, didn't find a better forum for this.

Aren't some on the list you provided in the Nuclear Power field? Seimens, Areva and Westinghouse. Will the impact from the events happening in Japan have any effect on these companies hiring. I worked for Babcock and Wilcox back during the 3 mile island event and it certainly put a huge damper on all new or proposed Nuclear Plants. I don't know if any of these companies are planning to have there nuclear engineering in Charlotte. As with B & W, other divisions did not feel any impact from the event. Sorry, I know this is supposed to be Good News Report, didn't find a better forum for this.

I had thought the Seimens facility here just made gas turbines so it was entirely non-nuclear. (this is actually more of a question since I am not certain about nuclear applications for the turbines).

The other local 'nuclear risk' is the Duke / Progress merger. I had thought that part of its economics were driven by the need to reduce capital costs for future nuke construction.

It's not a major economic event, but it does make Uptown more attractive to potential employees and employers. Wake MBA is the top rate MBA you can earn in Charlotte, so locating it Uptown means that the top talent would be drawn to jobs Uptown (as it is a part time MBA) and potentially at least rent uptown. Likewise, employers who are attracted to Wake MBA talent would be wise to chose Uptown over SP or B-Tyne to make it convenient for students. It probably will affect a minimal number of students and companies, but as Uptown tries to sell itself, it is certainly a strong marketing tool.

As far as jobs go, Celgard announced another expansion to its yet to be completed lithium battery plant in Concord. They announced new plants in both Charlotte and Concord back in 2009, and have announced expansions before completion at both locations in the last 6 months. They are quitely adding almost 500 jobs to the economy.

I believe many of the job announcements over the last 2 years will actually result in the promised jobs during 2011. It would not surprise me if by the end of the year, Meck's unemployment rate is a full percent less than the national average. (Currently it is about even)

Companies hiring at a strong pace right now or have ramped up to fill promised jobs:

Siemens

Shaw

Citco

BAE

Ally

Capgemini

Westinghouse

Electrolux

Areva

Aon/Hewitt

Ernst & Young

TIAA-CREF

SPX

Even BofA and Wells are hiring more than they are still laying off I believe.

And if you have Financial Services Compliance experience, you could probably have 5-10 job offers.

That's a lot of good companies hiring. I will definitely take a look at some of those companies myself. All of those companies hiring is good for Charlotte. Although, I like to see a real strong SBO presence as well.