More buildings to be torn down in the LaGrave/Sheldon/Cherry St area

GRDadof3

So has anyone seen the rendering for the new building? Chris Knape has it in his blog: Plans for Grand Rapids' Heart of the City Health Center unveiled by Design Plus

It's ugly and doesn't have a tenth of the character that The Perry has!

It looks like the typical suburban shlock that you would find in Cascade Twp. Granted, the services performed in the building are the most important thing, but the building they are going to do it in leaves a lot to be desired.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great design and while I will miss The Perry, I think this will be a great addition to downtown. As I recall, not many people were too positive about the design of the Catholic Diocese Building at Division and Wealthy when they were unveiled and look how great that project turned out. I say wait for the finished product and then judge. Could be worse - we could have renderings that promised an exciting, new building only to have it turn into the monstrosity that is the DeVos Children's Hospital.

I think this is a great design and while I will miss The Perry, I think this will be a great addition to downtown. As I recall, not many people were too positive about the design of the Catholic Diocese Building at Division and Wealthy when they were unveiled and look how great that project turned out. I say wait for the finished product and then judge. Could be worse - we could have renderings that promised an exciting, new building only to have it turn into the monstrosity that is the DeVos Children's Hospital.

I have the opposite opinion. I like the Children's Hospital. I think it's a large, distinctive landmark type building. Maybe my opinion will change in 10 years, but I like it a LOT better than the boring grey ugliness that the MSU Med School has turned out to be.

The new Heart of the City building...ehh, I think the renderings are very blah and uninspiring. I will admit I like the actual Catholic Diocese building better than I did from the renderings, but this new building has nothing at all distinctive about it. And it doesn't have any nice public areas and landscaping to compliment it the way that the Diocese building does.

Huh? The Children's Hospital compared to a building that would fit in on 44th St by the airport?

Let me count the ways - The HDVCH is like a bunker along Michigan and Bostwick - totally non-pedestrian engaging; that elevator shaft that runs up the south side of the building looks like an afterthought; I hate the "skin" - that trendy mottled blue glass already looks dated; those HUGE air vent things on the north side while functional, I'm sure, would have been better placed on the south, next to that horrid elevator shaft and finally, it is not a very inspired or inviting design - if Darth Vader built a home, I'm sure that it would look something like this. All that being said, I'm hoping that the addition of the pedestrian bridge spire will be so awesome that the building will just become a backdrop for it. The MSU Building across the street looks like the Taj Mahal in comparison.

Let me count the ways - The HDVCH is like a bunker along Michigan and Bostwick - totally non-pedestrian engaging; that elevator shaft that runs up the south side of the building looks like an afterthought; I hate the "skin" - that trendy mottled blue glass already looks dated; those HUGE air vent things on the north side while functional, I'm sure, would have been better placed on the south, next to that horrid elevator shaft and finally, it is not a very inspired or inviting design - if Darth Vader built a home, I'm sure that it would look something like this. All that being said, I'm hoping that the addition of the pedestrian bridge spire will be so awesome that the building will just become a backdrop for it. The MSU Building across the street looks like the Taj Mahal in comparison.

To each his own I guess.

In fact, I have some recent photos of HDVCH.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't the Dayton converted to condos? Man that sucks. Wish it was feasible to pick these buildings up and move them, but it isn't. :(

The company that purchased the two buildings on lagrave also just purchased the dayton on cherry. Hopefully they do not decide to turn it into a parking lot as well.

Wasn't the Dayton converted to condos? Man that sucks. Wish it was feasible to pick these buildings up and move them, but it isn't. :(

The Dayton was converted into condos and they bought out all the condo owners. The building is great and the condos are beautiful. Hopefully they are not planning on demolishing the building.

The Dayton was converted into condos and they bought out all the condo owners. The building is great and the condos are beautiful. Hopefully they are not planning on demolishing the building.

Where do these non-profits who serve low-income families find all this money? I believe they paid well over $1 Million for the Cherry Tree Court apt buildings. And now buying out the Dayton condo-owners? I assume for surface parking?

Where do these non-profits who serve low-income families find all this money? I believe they paid well over $1 Million for the Cherry Tree Court apt buildings. And now buying out the Dayton condo-owners? I assume for surface parking?

I swear I will cry if they tear down the beautiful Dayton for more parking. A building that's adjacent to a massive surface lot, across the street from another massive surface lot, about a hundred yards from a massive, just-built ramp, and on a wide two-lane street needs to give way for what? Like, 15, 20 spaces?

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just don't get this city sometimes. Hopefully the situation is not as it appears.

I don't get it. The math doesn't add up. Either that, or my math skills suck. ;)

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I swear I will cry if they tear down the beautiful Dayton for more parking. A building that's adjacent to a massive surface lot, across the street from another massive surface lot, about a hundred yards from a massive, just-built ramp, and on a wide two-lane street needs to give way for what? Like, 15, 20 spaces?

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just don't get this city sometimes. Hopefully the situation is not as it appears.

You might as well write that whole area off.

The wrong people got to it first.

For discussional purposes, at what point does a older building like this, hold back growth? And At what point does a building like this need to be saved? Or am I asking the right questions?

They hold back growth when all of the thousands of parking spaces around them are filled in with development, and there is nowhere left to go. Or maybe when they impede a truly A-grade project where the developer actually put forth an engaging, and creative structure.

They need to be saved when you find that they basically are the last thing standing in the way of a parking lot expansion or a bland, crap development. When craft and style are going to be sacrificed for E. Beltline budgeting.

I'm sorry, do you own the property? Did you put up millions to develop the block? Who are you to tell a property owner what they can and can not do with their property? And all of your negative criticism is based off a crappy rendering in the news paper.

Please come back with your elitist attitude when you are doing what you propose everyone else should do with their property and their money.

I'm sorry, do you own the property? Did you put up millions to develop the block? Who are you to tell a property owner what they can and can not do with their property? And all of your negative criticism is based off a crappy rendering in the news paper.

Please come back with your elitist attitude when you are doing what you propose everyone else should do with their property and their money.

GR_Urbanist was just responding to crinzema's question for discussion. If you would like to weigh in on the discussion feel free. GR_Urbanist had previously written that the wrong people got to it first - so he was just stating his opinion - nothing wrong with that. Its obvious that noone here purchased the property, but that doesnt change the fact that people can state what they wish wouldve happened.

Those are some pretty cool historic buildings with character that are going to be torn down and to put it simply ... its a bummer.

Archived