NASA Scientists to announce stunning news about Mars

cityboi

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2133475.ece

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479997,00.html

NASA scientists have now stated that large amounts of methane have been foun on Mars. The source of methane comes from organisms. Because there appears to be no life on the surface, it is suspected that life would be under the surface where tempertures are warmer and where there also may be liquid water.

"Methane is a product of biology. For methane to be in Mars' atmosphere, there has to be a replenishable source,"

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2133475.ece

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479997,00.html

NASA scientists have now stated that large amounts of methane have been foun on Mars. The source of methane comes from organisms. Because there appears to be no life on the surface, it is suspected that life would be under the surface where tempertures are warmer and where there also may be liquid water.

"Methane is a product of biology. For methane to be in Mars' atmosphere, there has to be a replenishable source,"

I was very excited to hear this. While they can't say for certain that "life" is the cause for the methane, that is obviously the most likely culprit. Isn't it exciting!? This just makes me feel so much better about my thoughts on there being other intelligent life somewhere out there. If any kind of life exists on Mars, our celestial next-door neighbor, this shows that intelligent life may be closer to us than most people thought.

Absolutely! This discovery, IMO, paid back every penny we have spent on Mars thus far. I am also amazed at Spirit and Opportunity continuing to run and collect data, not to mention sending back stunning pictures of the martian landscape. We have gotten far more than our money's worth in data from those 2 rovers and they have no doubt become a model for future rovers. Phoenix continues to collect data as well, past its estimated life. We are finally having a lot of success with Mars and I fully support their next rover they want to send that is about the size of an SUV. We are really living in amazing times and I'm happy we have a president that is very supportive of the space program :) .

NASA engineers have reported a "glitch" in the Mars rover Spirit's recordings. Apparently several days went by without anything being recorded or sent back to earth.

Think I believe that? Too much is going on with Mars exploration, and this seems like a cover up to me. With the recent exciting discoveries on Mars, we can't discount the possibility that the rover might have recorded a Martian city---- who knows? I don't trust my government to tell the truth.

NASA engineers have reported a "glitch" in the Mars rover Spirit's recordings. Apparently several days went by without anything being recorded or sent back to earth.

Think I believe that? Too much is going on with Mars exploration, and this seems like a cover up to me. With the recent exciting discoveries on Mars, we can't discount the possibility that the rover might have recorded a Martian city---- who knows? I don't trust my government to tell the truth.

yea its always a good explaination NASA uses in covering up senstive discoveries. looks like things are slowly being revealed though. Its almost like these "discoveries" that are being covered up contradics the biblical account of the creation story. The effect on world religions in my mind is the biggest reason of the cover-up. What if you were to wake up one morning and found out your religious beliefs were based on a myth or your interpretation of your religion wasnt factual. It would cause panic and fear. If people lost faith in their religions they would question what happens to them when they die. If you stopped believing in God, you then would believe there is no heaven or hell and that when you die, your conscience cease to exist forever. It would be as if you were never born and never knew all the love ones in your life. That really freaks you out when you think about it. Its why everyone is afraid of death.

• 2 years later...

NASA makes announcement about evidence of liquid water currently on the surface of Mars near the equator. What next? send a rover to those water flows to see if there are organisms.

http://lightyears.bl...ater/?hpt=hp_c1

It's an awesome find, even if there isn't life. I would wager that they will definitely find life in some form there if there is water.

It's an awesome find, even if there isn't life. I would wager that they will definitely find life in some form there if there is water.

The interesting thing is that there is evidence that Mars was much like Earth in its distant past. From the evidence Mars has had rivers and the red oxidation on the surface indicates that Mars atmosphere was primarily oxygen. That being said, its very likely Mars was abundant with life in the far far distant past and who knows. Some of that life may still exist in the form of small organisms. Even if we find a few organisms up there, its proof we are not alone and that life exist all through out the universe.

I think that even if the water on Mars isn't pure water and instead something like arsenic water, there is a possibility. Look at what they found in the lake in I think it was CA, organisms that were made of materials that scientist previously believed were impossible for life to consist of, thus disproving the "fact" of the basic building blocks of life. There could be something there like nothing we have ever seen before!

I think that even if the water on Mars isn't pure water and instead something like arsenic water, there is a possibility. Look at what they found in the lake in I think it was CA, organisms that were made of materials that scientist previously believed were impossible for life to consist of, thus disproving the "fact" of the basic building blocks of life. There could be something there like nothing we have ever seen before!

NASA found bacteria living in arsenic which is deadly to us. That alone is evidence that water doesn't always equal life. We breath oxygen but what if a mammal species on another planet breaths carbon dioxide? I think life adapts to their environment.

There is something a lot of people have not noticed about NASA announcement of possible liquid water on the surface of Mars ;) It totally contradicts what they have said in the past. NASA said in the past that it was impossible for liquid water to exist on the Martian surface because of the nature of its atmosphere. Its not oxygen (so we are told) and the atmospheric pressure is so low that any water on the surface boils away and escapes into space. This tells me that NASA knows more about Mars than they are letting on. This is a NASA image which shows what looks like vegetation on the surface. NASA says its frost but frost clearly doesn't leave shadows on the ground!

mars_trees1_lg.jpg

I believe I read (wish I could remember the source) that the water/ice on Mars is so salty (way saltier than our ocean water) that it is able to "melt" despite the still subzero temperatures during Mars' northern spring and summer months. However, it is because of this salinity that the water does not instantly evaporate/boil into the vacuum of space.  As for that picture, I'm at a loss.

I believe I read (wish I could remember the source) that the water/ice on Mars is so salty (way saltier than our ocean water) that it is able to "melt" despite the still subzero temperatures during Mars' northern spring and summer months. However, it is because of this salinity that the water does not instantly evaporate/boil into the vacuum of space.  As for that picture, I'm at a loss.

those "trees" on Mars look a lot like banyan trees here on Earth. Of course NASA will say its an optical illusion just like everything else on Mars like the "face". These are clearly "trees" are rising above the surface. You can tell because of the shadows. And its not just the shadows but there is a light source reflecting on the surface and its going in the same direction of the shadows

Couldn't frost get a height enough to cast a shadow? It seems reasonable to me. :dontknow:

The "trees" cast shadows from light but if you'll notice there are shadows on the edges indicating some tree like formation. Add to the fact that there is a branch formation like trees. Its certainly intersting.

here is NASA's filtered version of the face (NASA admitting removing data from the image for "technical reasons")

mars_face_nothing_1998_02.jpg

here is the actual face after the computer triangulated positions and shadows based on several NASA images of the face taken from different angles. Remeber there is no human interpretation in this image. Just a computer using existing data from NASA's own images.

FaceMars.jpg

Archived