Notable Quotes

gs3

A new thread for quotes that you hear, read, etc (good or bad) that concern Greenville.

Thought this one was excellent:

"Greenville has a special quality of its own that's not evident in other towns I write about. It's got a sense of can-do cooperation on big picture items." John Villani, author of "The 100 Best Art Towns in America". Quote published in the Greenville Journal.

http://www.arttowns.com/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I wrote this down immediately after the pilot said it so I could remember.....

"Our initial decent into Atlanta will take us over the mountain community of Asheville, North Carolina, just north of the beautiful city of Greenville, South Carolina and over the lakeside town of Gainesville, Georgia before we begin our final approach".

It wasn't a domestic pilot. It was an Air France pilot at the end of an 8 1/2 hour flight. :thumbsup: I like that an Air France pilot somehow knows Greenville is beautiful. :)

I wrote this down immediately after the pilot said it so I could remember.....

"Our initial decent into Atlanta will take us over the mountain community of Asheville, North Carolina, just north of the beautiful city of Greenville, South Carolina and over the lakeside town of Gainesville, Georgia before we begin our final approach".

It wasn't a domestic pilot. It was an Air France pilot at the end of an 8 1/2 hour flight. :thumbsup: I like that an Air France pilot somehow knows Greenville is beautiful. :)

• 1 month later...

On WYFF's evening news, they had a story on the new North American headquarters for redi-Group. The spokeswoman was a German and listing the reasons they chose Greenville (I-85 between CLT and ATL, lots of Europeans companies, etc, etc....all the usual comments). What caught my ear was her reference to downtown. She called downtown "a pearl". Liked that. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

A funny story and a good quote.....

Leaving a midsized southern city this past week (city to remain nameless), I boarded a small CRJ 200 regional jet. I was seated in 1B, so right there when the flight attendant started his speech.....

He said, and I quote, "Smoking is not allowed on any Delta or Delta Connection flight and this inlcudes dippin and spittin...." I looked up at his face to see if he was joking.....he wasn't.....deadpan serious. Had a good chuckle....had a good flight.....arrived in Atlanta to connect and I was the first up and waiting by the lav / galley for the door to open. The flight attendant was standing there, so I asked about the "dippin and spittin" comment.....he said he wasn't joking....he said for certain southern cities he adds this because he has seen too many people using chewing tobacco. He asked where I was headed, I said GSP, and he said, "Now that is a good route. Educated travelers." I asked if he had ever used the "dippin and spittin" comment on GSP routes, he said, a bit flamboyantly "Lord no". He then asked if I was headed to Greenville for business, I said I lived in Greenville, and he smiled and said "I'm jealous. You live in a beautiful place." The door opened, I said bye.

Anyway......across the South in a couple of hours.....from "dippin and spittin" to Greenville. :lol:

A funny story and a good quote.....

Leaving a midsized southern city this past week (city to remain nameless), I boarded a small CRJ 200 regional jet. I was seated in 1B, so right there when the flight attendant started his speech.....

He said, and I quote, "Smoking is not allowed on any Delta or Delta Connection flight and this inlcudes dippin and spittin...." I looked up at his face to see if he was joking.....he wasn't.....deadpan serious. Had a good chuckle....had a good flight.....arrived in Atlanta to connect and I was the first up and waiting by the lav / galley for the door to open. The flight attendant was standing there, so I asked about the "dippin and spittin" comment.....he said he wasn't joking....he said for certain southern cities he adds this because he has seen too many people using chewing tobacco. He asked where I was headed, I said GSP, and he said, "Now that is a good route. Educated travelers." I asked if he had ever used the "dippin and spittin" comment on GSP routes, he said, a bit flamboyantly "Lord no". He then asked if I was headed to Greenville for business, I said I lived in Greenville, and he smiled and said "I'm jealous. You live in a beautiful place." The door opened, I said bye.

Anyway......across the South in a couple of hours.....from "dippin and spittin" to Greenville. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived