Downtown ballpark proposed by Rockford Construction

GRobserver

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Devos has said many times he would not move or disband the rampage, they haven't been very good, but if they continue this upcoming season how they ended last years they could challenge for the division, for the next few years a least. If the team is winning, more people are likely to go, no one wants to go and pay their hard-earned to see their team lose. The front office overhauled the roster and got a new coach before last season, leaving only 4 guys from the season before. now they're getting chemistry and seem to have a bright future, i'm a big fan of the AFL if you can't tell, especially my Hometown team.

i heard rumors of the Rampage leaving, but i think now the headed in the right direction,and the rumors will die down, and if they start good, they could sell out once or twice, for sure against the Rush. they were a glorified expansion team last year, so this year could be another 6-10 season or it could be a 10-6 season or better. I'm highly optimistic.

My only worry about a downtown park would be suburbanites scared to go into the big scary city, and attendance could be low to start. but who knows people are very unpredictable.

a downtown ballpark with serious improvements would mean serious chances to have, rather then a short season, rookie A ball team, having a AAA team. the funding coming down from the mother club would be much more. grand rapids should not have a single A ballclub. it should have a AAA ballclub. but that will never happen with the crapy ballpark they have in comstock park. that place is a dump. it really is.

a downtown ballpark with serious improvements would mean serious chances to have, rather then a short season, rookie A ball team, having a AAA team. the funding coming down from the mother club would be much more. grand rapids should not have a single A ballclub. it should have a AAA ballclub. but that will never happen with the crapy ballpark they have in comstock park. that place is a dump. it really is.

The current ballpark is far from a "dump". It's not fancy, and I think it's in a crappy location that comes with lots of its own traffic problems after a game. But, it's a perfectly servicable place, and for some people on the north side, I'm sure it's more convenient than a downtown location would be.

I would love to see a ballpark downtown, and I would probably go to 8-10 instead of 1-2 games if it were there because it would be more convenient to me (without using a car) and it would be a lot closer to things to do before and after the game. However, I don't know if I want taxpayer dollars, other than Ren Zone and/or brownfield credits that other projects in these areas get, to fund the stadium and I think that GRDad's remarks might have crossed the line a bit. What's up with the snarky responses? Let's keep it civil.

Well assuming the underground parking ramp would take up most of the same footprint as the current lots/streets do, it seems like a one story underground parking ramp would suffice to replace the DASH system lots (or pretty close). And cars could take Cherry to reach the highway. I used to have a view of Oakes St at a previous workplace and there's hardly ever any cars on that section of Oakes, ever. There are now over 10,000 parking spaces in the city's inventory downtown, not including on-street metered spots and ramps/lots owned by Ellis and other private operators. There's plenty of parking.

It's hardly crazy. People would adjust. The only thing that would hamper that location would be the actual dimensions and getting a baseball stadium to fit. However, good architects are hired to come up with creative solutions.

The entire Area 4/5 "behind the arena" parking lots are such a waste of good downtown land. This idea would be pretty awesome, and would help fill in all the "missing teeth" along Ionia and other parts of Heartside.

I'm shocked that this is still being talked about, its a pipe dream. grand rapids sports scene is dead. people here are still enamored with detroit and its ghetto sports culture to get any kind of sports movement downtown, just look at the griffs and the rampage attendance.

I'm shocked that this is still being talked about, its a pipe dream. grand rapids sports scene is dead. people here are still enamored with detroit and its ghetto sports culture to get any kind of sports movement downtown, just look at the griffs and the rampage attendance.

"I'm shocked that this is still being talked about, its a pipe dream. grand rapids sports scene is dead. people here are still enamored with detroit and its ghetto sports culture to get any kind of sports movement downtown, just look at the griffs and the rampage attendance."

Were are you getting that from? Last time I went to a Griffins game, the VAN was packed to the rafters with screaming fans. The last time I went to a whitecaps game the ball park was jammed with screaming fans. Even the Rampage game I went to which was not quite packed like the grifs and caps still made allot of noise. If GR's sport scene is dead then why are these teams have enthused fans willing to go see them play and why would Rockford construction company propose the idea of a DT ballpark?

I've been to a Griffins playoff game and the Van Andel was only 1/3 full. This was on a Saturday night, and I think there was a Pistons playoff game on the same night. But even so, when you can't sell out for the playoffs...

Though, I think even the Red Wings have had problems selling out for some of the playoff games last year.

I've been to a Griffins playoff game and the Van Andel was only 1/3 full. This was on a Saturday night, and I think there was a Pistons playoff game on the same night. But even so, when you can't sell out for the playoffs...

Though, I think even the Red Wings have had problems selling out for some of the playoff games last year.

"Huge" doesn't think it's a pipe dream, he's very optimistic, for a pro team, and looking toward the future, starting with our high school football state champs. I think that's an OK summery of the article.

EDIT: link didn't work, it's on MLIVE in The Huge Blog, Bill Simonson is the author. The title is ' Football part of Michigan's Bright west side story.

I read around and couldn't find a solution to make it work, do I have to have more posts or be a premium member to do it?

"Huge" doesn't think it's a pipe dream, he's very optimistic, for a pro team, and looking toward the future, starting with our high school football state champs. I think that's an OK summery of the article.

EDIT: link didn't work, it's on MLIVE in The Huge Blog, Bill Simonson is the author. The title is ' Football part of Michigan's Bright west side story.

I read around and couldn't find a solution to make it work, do I have to have more posts or be a premium member to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived