8 o'Clock Closing!

Just got a call from my wife. She is at our downtown office and walked down to the 8 o'clock Superette and they are not serving lunch back there anymore and will be closing the establishment. I hope they can find a buyer or someone to carry on the tradition. I know the owner recently died and this may be a part of the reason they are closing but they have had a lot of well to do clientele who would hate to see it close. Maybe one of their "well to do" clientele can invest in it, do some basic improvements and keep the community feel. Just thought I would get the word out there before it this Greenville institution totally went under and only remained in the history books.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to see someone do this. A mini Earth Fare or Whole Foods. Play up the 8 O'Clock Superette logo and name in a current, modern way. Great location to take advantage of the Augusta Street area demographics. I respect what it was to many Greenvillians, but also feel the place failed to change and progress with the times. The last time I was in, it wasn't much more than a glorified convenience store.

Let Soby get hold of the place and put his spin on 8 O'Clock Superette......turn it into a something that could become a small chain or franchise. The bones are there....build on them.

It makes me wonder if a grocery store of any kind should open here. The development that's being discussed for the corner of University Ridge and Church Street is suppose to have a Super Bilo. While there is no set timetable for the development, it'd be quite a risk to open a small store at the back door of a full service supermarket. No matter what replaces the 8 O'clock, it won't be the 8 O'clock.

I'd rather see a mixed-use development that would compliment Alta Vista, the University Ridge Condos, The Savory Corner, and the Church St/ University Ridge development...

It makes me wonder if a grocery store of any kind should open here. The development that's being discussed for the corner of University Ridge and Church Street is suppose to have a Super Bilo. While there is no set timetable for the development, it'd be quite a risk to open a small store at the back door of a full service supermarket. No matter what replaces the 8 O'clock, it won't be the 8 O'clock.

I'd rather see a mixed-use development that would compliment Alta Vista, the University Ridge Condos, The Savory Corner, and the Church St/ University Ridge development...

Slightly off topic but One Cleveland Street a couple of blocks up (at the corner of Camperdown and Cleveland) has has a significant offer put on the building (It's the current building I am renting office space). The talk around the place is the developer wants to make it a mixed use development. I get the impression it would be similar to Poinsett Corners with Apt. living and retail along the ground floor. Of course the current building would more than likely be demolished as well as the entire landscaping being redone. Rezoning hearing notices have been put up around the building.

Archived