Carolina Panthers 2008/2009 Season

Andyc545

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree toz, we didn't make the playoffs this year. Or at least Jake Delhomme didn't.

Considering at least two of the drives he threw interceptions on had touchdowns written all over them, this game was 1000% Jake's undoing. I knew our pass defense would let Warner walk all over them, but I figured our offense would make up for that slack. This game was Carolina's until we forgot how to put pressure on Kurt Warner for a quarter and a half. When the turnovers started, I had visions of the Oakland game flying through my head. Only this time there was a capable team on the other side of the ball. Then, for some reason, Fox kept trying to give Delhomme a chance to redeem himself when we have one of the best outside rushing offenses in the league. Has any player in the history of the NFL given up 6 turnovers in a playoff game before tonight? The answer, this makes 2.

Oh well, at least the Titans and the Colts are out too. Now its the Giant's season to lose. Although I'd love to see an Eagle's - Chargers Super Bowl.

Now it's time to change our focus on how to improve our roster and who to keep. I have defended Jake in the past, even after he threw up four interceptions in the Oakland game; but it is now my undeniable belief that we need to be eying free agency and the draft for at least a decent backup quarterback (who can prove his worth next preseason.) Also, we definitely need to fix up our pass defense which fell apart at the end of the year. I'm also pretty sure that a third major receiver on our squad would help out our offense a great deal, if our B-team boys don't get better in the offseason. I'm personally happy with our lines and delighted with our RB's. Any thoughts?

I just don't get what happened last night. It appeared we were beaten at all phases of the game. Obviously our QB was awful - he seemed totally confused out there. The running game never got started. On defense, we couldn't cover their receivers despite the fact that their other starting WR was out hurt, we couldn't pressure the QB and missed lots of tackles. We appeared to be outcoached - their gameplan was better than ours, and we committed tons of bad fundamental penalties.

It was a fun season but what a way to end it. Obviously, Fox is really on the hotseat next year. Expectations will be supremely high and I think anything short of an NFC Championship appearance and he is gone. If he is pushed out, I see NC resident Bill Cowher getting the job in 2010.

I just don't get what happened last night. It appeared we were beaten at all phases of the game. Obviously our QB was awful - he seemed totally confused out there. The running game never got started. On defense, we couldn't cover their receivers despite the fact that their other starting WR was out hurt, we couldn't pressure the QB and missed lots of tackles. We appeared to be outcoached - their gameplan was better than ours, and we committed tons of bad fundamental penalties.

It was a fun season but what a way to end it. Obviously, Fox is really on the hotseat next year. Expectations will be supremely high and I think anything short of an NFC Championship appearance and he is gone. If he is pushed out, I see NC resident Bill Cowher getting the job in 2010.

Baffiling. I just don't know what else to say. Trying to pass, over and over, when it obviously wasn't working had everyone surrounding us screaming RUN THE BALL...!!!! It was dismal, nothing else. I feel a game like that is to be blamed on coaching, bad plays by Delhomme for sure, but attempting something that isn't working when we have such great running backs?

There were many problems the team had but the absolute #1 problem with the Panthers is(was) Jake Delhomme. That was the worst performance by a QB I have ever seen, bar none.

If the Panthers insist on keeping Jake then look forward to more humiliating games in the future just like last night. If this isn't a wakeup call to start shopping for a new QB by now then I don't know what is.

I was at the game on Sat, so I'll share my thoughts...

While everyone is focused on the lousy play of Delhomme, one of the other blunders of the game by the Panthers was allowing AZ's best player, Larry Fitzgerald, to nearly single-handedly beat them in the first half. Boldin, their other top receiver, was out, so that left Fitzgerald as the obvious weapon. For the life of me, I have no idea why they allowed the other team's best player to go for 150+ yds in the first half when it was obvious to everyone that he was their #1 target. The #1 rule of defense is to take away the thing the other team does best and make them beat you in some other way. They didn't come close to doing that.

It's was obviously an awful way to finish the season.

I want to express my disappointment that so many people left before the end.....this was a playoff game and it wasn't even raining once the game got out of hand until the last 4 minutes or so. For people to leave in the 3rd quarter is shameful, more shameful than the way the team played.

The second pick by Delhomme was the worst. I couldn't understand the lack of running up until that point, but after that horrendous throw, it was obvious that would have to win it on the ground. We played opposite of the way we do all season, trying to set up the running game by throwing it. It didn't work, and Fox felt desparate so stuck with the passing game to save the clock. The Cardinals used OUR game plan and stomped us with it...they ran old man James and slant routes and then just found Fitzgerald, which wasn't hard, because he would be Cardinal with NO Panther near him.

I've seen criticism of our O-Line, but I think they played a hell of a game considering the play calling (pass pass pass) They are built to open up holes for the run.

I hope Peppers comes back, but he wasn't even the threat of a factor. Usually he can at least make a QB nervous...he was consistently getting pushed 5-10 yards off his line of attack.

Finally, I like Mark Jones, but his kick-off returns were dismal. We were playing with a long-field all night, and giving them a very short one. Honestly, had we just gone to the Wildcat formation for every single offensive snap and a nickel D package, this game probably would have been decided by less than a touchdown.

^ FWIW, I stayed until the bitter end when there might have been 5,000 fans left (incl. a few hundred Cards fans). From my vantage point in the upper deck, the mass exodus began with ~12min left in the 4th after Jake's last (or 4th?) INT IIRC. Until then most people were still there. Yes, its disappointing, but I would not blame people for leaving early, given the way the team played (worst effort this year) & how much money some people spent on those tickets. I met quite a few people who traveled long distances to see the Panthers play... they probably felt cheated out of their time and money.

After the opening TD drive, and AZ's drive, I thought both teams would light it up, but the Cards started stacking the line of scrimmage with 8 guys to stop the run and daring Jake to throw... which he did. If Jake could have mustered some modest passing attack to keep the AZ defense honest, things would have been different, I think. In the end, the Panthers defense was exposed as being average, at best, and Jake had one of the worst games of any NFL QB in the postseason. Out of all the defensive players, only Thomas Davis and Chris Harris excelled in any way. Peppers had a few good plays, and Beason had the late INT, but mostly they were non-factors. The defensive line got almost no pressure on Warner and the secondary was burned all day long.

I wonder if there will be any major coaching or personnel changes as a result of this loss.

^Lol. While I agree that there were mistakes on all sides of the ball, I still think Jake is the most to blame. Players have bad games, but this was one of the worst in NFL history by a quarterback in postseason. The interceptions were almost all directly to defenders, its not like they were amazing catches. Even the double tip interception, the first Card player to tip it should've had it. 2 interceptions were in the red zone, the fumble was deep in our end. Think of how many points the Cards had off of turnovers!

Even if the team played better as a whole, we never had a chance with those turnovers!

I'm not sure that it isn't well deserved though, this is the second important playoff game I can remember that Duhlomme has almost singlehandedly blew it, the first being the game against Seattle a few years ago.

And I am mystified by the number of people who think he has been good this season, other than the last minute heroics against San Diego in game 1. He simply hasn't had to perform much lately with our two pronged running attack, which fell apart against a strong QB/receiving threat in Arizona that forced us to pass the ball more and more the worse it got. IMO he should have been replaced years ago, here's hoping for the best in the offseason. :blink:

I'm not sure that it isn't well deserved though, this is the second important playoff game I can remember that Duhlomme has almost singlehandedly blew it, the first being the game against Seattle a few years ago.

And I am mystified by the number of people who think he has been good this season, other than the last minute heroics against San Diego in game 1. He simply hasn't had to perform much lately with our two pronged running attack, which fell apart against a strong QB/receiving threat in Arizona that forced us to pass the ball more and more the worse it got. IMO he should have been replaced years ago, here's hoping for the best in the offseason. :blink:

The schedule (no dates yet) just came out according to the O. Next year we have the hardest schedule I have ever seen for the Panthers.

First, we get to face off against the two toughest divisions in the NFL outside of our own, the NFC East (Redskins, Philly, @Giants, and @Cowboys) and the AFC East (@Patriots, Miami, @Jets, and Bills.) Oh yea, and need I remind everybody that we're still in the hardest division period, which we get to play twice each. Plus, we have some extra games to add to that fury: two more division champion match-ups against Minnesota and @Arizona.

Of the 11 other teams that made the playoffs this year, we get to play 6 of them (and another that should have.)

So let's see, assuming the performance of each team stays the same from year to year (obviously only hypothetical,) the Panthers will be facing the three hardest divisions in the NFL before the playoffs. So, the great news: we'll have a LOT of big games next year! The down side: luck can only go our way so many times if we're facing teams who combined for a 151-104 record this season (playoff games not included, ATL, NO, & TB counted twice each.) We'll be facing only one team that had a losing record this year, and that's Buffalo with a 7-9 record.

So, here's wishing the best of luck to the Panthers next season if they don't improve their passing game by either replacing Jake or finding another quality WR to help Steve and Moose.

At least the top seeded Titans and Giants losing takes a lot of focus off the embarrassment of the Panthers game, at least outside of Charlotte.

To be fair, the Seattle game was a pre-ordained disaster as soon as Nick Goings got a concussion in the first quarter (one week after Deshaun Foster broke his leg in the divisional playoff against Chicago). The Panthers literally had no running game after that play. Seattle pinned their ears back and everyone watching knew Jake was going to pass. Until that point, the Panthers were competitive.

Peppers says he wants to leave. I would have thought I'd be more upset about this, but I wonder if we've become too dependent on him. Tyler Brayton did a great job this year as well. I also remember the horrible year Peppers had last year. Regardless if we don't keep him it might open up some better things for us. I've always felt that if a player didn't want to be somewhere they should go -- i can't believe you'll get 100% from anyone that isn't happy.

Peppers says he wants to leave. I would have thought I'd be more upset about this, but I wonder if we've become too dependent on him. Tyler Brayton did a great job this year as well. I also remember the horrible year Peppers had last year. Regardless if we don't keep him it might open up some better things for us. I've always felt that if a player didn't want to be somewhere they should go -- i can't believe you'll get 100% from anyone that isn't happy.

It's a bit sad that Peppers wants out as his roots are here in NC through college and now the NFL. He is way too expensive though to keep and if he's not even into playing for the team anymore, that could only speak wonders of how he may play next year. I'd rather take the absurd amount of money (17 million for a year?) and invest it into the future defense of the team.

Well, don't look now but Mike Trgovak the defensive coordinator is opting out of a 2 year contract extension offered by the Panthers, although he has had no firm offers from other teams yet. This comes after several assistant coaches have left for better jobs across the league including the quarterbacks coach and the linebackers coach.

I am worried about some of this. When your star defensive player and your defensive coordinator both inexplicably quit within a week of each other it makes you wonder what the hell is going on there. Is this a sign that others are going to jump ship before it's all said and done? Or, could possibly, if the Panthers brought in the right defensive minded coach that likes the idea of having a 3/4 instead of a 4/3 keep Peppers around for a couple more seasons? It looks to be a very intriguing offseason for the Panthers.

Archived