Movies in the Park

Spartan

An article in the HJ highlights a fun new event for Spartans to enjoy.... movies in the park. A new group called Hub City Church will host movies that will play in Barnet Park. Its free to everyone, so I think this will be a great thing for Spartanburg. This is the type of event that creates more "things to do" in the city. Right now there are 4 movie dates planned. Hub City Church says it wants to make this a regular summer event.

Movies in the lineup so far:

May 17, "Bee Movie"

June 21, "Evan Almighty"

July 19, "Shrek the Third"

Aug. 16, ________

I would personally like to see this grow into a more than once a month event. Maybe twice a month, or even weekly at some point.

HJ Article

http://www.hubcitychurch.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny because I was up in Nashville for the Country Music Marathon a few weeks ago. The others with me were also from Spartanburg and I was telling them how they have movies during the summer in Centennial Park (where we were at the time) and how that would be a neat thing in Barnet Park. Alas, I get back and see the flyers up during Spring Fling for none other than movies in the park! Doesn't Greenville do something similar?

I think they do some movies in Falls Park or something, or maybe on the Piazza Bergamo. I'm not sure... maybe someone from Gville can share. I'm glad that other people are excited about this too. Its little things like this that make me wish I were still in Spartanburg so that I could participate and boost the numbers :)

I think they do some movies in Falls Park or something, or maybe on the Piazza Bergamo. I'm not sure... maybe someone from Gville can share. I'm glad that other people are excited about this too. Its little things like this that make me wish I were still in Spartanburg so that I could participate and boost the numbers :)

^Thats a good point. I can't say which I'd rather have though. Morgan Square would be an ideal, central, location for this to happen, but the capacity there is much more limited than Barnet Park. The Park is not central at all, and is another instance of good things in Spartanburg being too spread out...

But the Park will be central to the new business school, won't it? Why doesn't Spartanburg begin to build around Chapman, Barnet Park, and the new GDJ School of business? There are several old buildings next to Papa Sams that could be used as well as all kinds of vacant land down there. Is there anything in the master code for retail/restaurant down that way?

Yes, you're right. Supposedly that "new urban" village is coming to Renaissance, and combined with Upstate's project, it will eventually be a destination unto itself. It remains to be seen how all of that "other" stuff will play out.

An article in the HJ highlights a fun new event for Spartans to enjoy.... movies in the park. A new group called Hub City Church will host movies that will play in Barnet Park. Its free to everyone, so I think this will be a great thing for Spartanburg. This is the type of event that creates more "things to do" in the city. Right now there are 4 movie dates planned. Hub City Church says it wants to make this a regular summer event.

Movies in the lineup so far:

May 17, "Bee Movie"

June 21, "Evan Almighty"

July 19, "Shrek the Third"

Aug. 16, ________

I would personally like to see this grow into a more than once a month event. Maybe twice a month, or even weekly at some point.

HJ Article

http://www.hubcitychurch.com

Archived