Wrecking Ball for the "Big 4"?

JPKneworleans

Demolition of the "Housing Developments"  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Will the City Council vote to support HUD/HANO's plans to bring down the "Big 4"?

• Yes, but the council vote will split 4-3 down racial lines.
    • Yes, and the majority will be greater than four, and therefore demonstrating that the issue is not necessarily a racial one as many portray it.
    • No. The measure will fail.

The City Council faces a very difficult question on Thursday, December 20, when it votes on the issue of whether to allow the demolition of the city's four largest housing developments. The measure is thought to have the votes to pass. However, a 4-3 vote along racial lines would not be good for the city's image. What do you think will happen?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent all council members an email urging them to approve the demolition of these crime-ridden cess pools. None answered me, except for Fielkow... from his blackberry. Here's what I sent...

"Please have the courage to do the right thing and APPROVE the demolition of the

big 4 housing projects. Thursday's meeting might get ugly, but have the courage

to stick to your convictions and improve living conditions for that less

fortunate segment of society. Do not return them to the squalor and hopelessness

of the old model of low-income living. Do the right thing for this city's future

and approve the demolitions. Remember, for every person in the City Council

chamber protesting these demolitions, there are 100 other hard working New

Orleanians watching and waiting for you to do the right thing and approve these

demolitions. Stay strong and hold firm to your convictions for the future of

this city. These people deserve a better life... not the life they had before.

Approve the demolitions."

Arnie replied with this...

"Thanks. I agree!"

So there you have it. I think we'll have two "no" votes on Thursday... Hedge-Morrel and Cynthia Willard Lewis. Take it to the bank.

I felt the same way about Hedge-Morrell. However, I am now not so quick to place Hedge Morrell in the "no" category. She has ZERO constituents in the St. Bernard project (it is closed) and plenty of them in the neighborhood. An interview with area neighbors, both black and white, indicated that they want the suckers to come down. Residents were talking about how peaceful it now is that the development is closed.

One black gentleman who previously resided in the St. Bernard project many years ago indicated that he cannot understand how anyone with a right mind would want to live there under the conditions that existed prior to Katrina.

As for Reverend Willard-Lewis, you know she will vote NO, even though, hypocrite that she is, she wanted to place a moratorium on "apartment complexes" in the east. Why can't people see through her??

I think the Big 4 will eventually come down, but it will be met with strong opposition and potential violence. As insane as it may sound, but some project residents don't want to do better. They enjoy living in decrepit, crime-infested housing projects. The 3rd Ward may be peaceful when Magnolia & Calliope come down but the residents will most likely go to the Melph. By Magnolia & Calliope project standards, St.Bernard was one of the city's safer projects.

And a circus it will be! I think I'll skip out of the office in the morning to go down and see the circus. As for the votes, I had a feeling Hedge Morrell would see the light. Gentilly/Ponchartrain Park is heavily owner-occupied. A couple of residents from the area voiced their support for demolition. One of the people was a prior St. Bernard development resident and could not comprehend people who actually wanted to continue living there.

If you haven't heard, the New Orleans City Council unanimously voted to demolish 4 housing projects slated for redevelopment and renewal. I was expecting them to come down, but I am surprised by the display of unity on the city council. Several stipulations have been placed on the demolitions, and some buildings will remain (read the T-P blog entry for full details). I'm curious about the details of the redevelopment plans which sound as they have been nebulous thus far, though two developers intend to retain the same number of public housing units at Lafitte and C.J. Peete respectively.

If you haven't heard, the New Orleans City Council unanimously voted to demolish 4 housing projects slated for redevelopment and renewal. I was expecting them to come down, but I am surprised by the display of unity on the city council. Several stipulations have been placed on the demolitions, and some buildings will remain (read the T-P blog entry for full details). I'm curious about the details of the redevelopment plans which sound as they have been nebulous thus far, though two developers intend to retain the same number of public housing units at Lafitte and C.J. Peete respectively.

Congrats New Orleans.

Getting rid of those crappy, old-world gov housing is the first step to a recovery that has needed to happen for decades. It's a shame they couldn't remove them when they removed Desire.

I am glad that this issue wasn't held back by racism. I don't think that the volence that occured is really representative of New Orleans, and I am glad the council voted for a future.

I can't wait to see what comes out of those properties after they are rebuilt. Having good, affordable housing in New Orleans is going to be a huge boom in bringing the city back stronger than it was before.

So now that we know the future of the Big 4, what is next for New Orleans? I've heard the plans to replace some of the projects, and I'm extremely exited about what could be coming to the city in the next few years.

What do you guys think about what you've heard so far? What would you like to see?

The projects should be replaced with mixed income, mixed-use development. I'd love to see the mid-city area developed with more mid-rise buildings which would extend the urban core to the lakefront. Transportation issues are paramount in helping this to happen. Does anyone have a sense that the issues of light rail and so forth are being adequately addressed?

All I'm gonna say is R.I.P. to Magnolia & Calliope projects. The homes of the city's most notorious hustlers & gangsters but also some successful celebrities have come from those projects. I won't lie, they were decades old and were heavy contributors to New Orleans' horrendous murder rate. Not a day went by you didn't hear machine gunfire or police sirens.

Archived