Amtrak Accident

NorthEnder

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amtrak train, No. 371 from Grand Rapids, Mich., struck the rear of the parked freight train around 11:32 a.m. at 48th Street and Shields Avenue, Fire Department spokeswoman Eve Rodriguez said. The passengers on the bi-level coach train suffered a "very hard stop," said Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.

The train was scheduled to arrive at Union Station at 10:30 a.m.

My mother was on the back car of the train with a large group of friends. My understanding is that there was no warning and nearly everyone did a face plant into the seat in front of them due to the abrupt stop. Ambulances on the scene took the significantly injured people to different hospitals. The worst of the injuries in the back car was an older woman my mother was with who apparently was concussed and/or in shock. There were a lot of facial bruises, etc. Needless to say it sounded like it was terrifying.

Now they're trying to gather together and figure out whether to have people pick them up or taxi to their hotel and take the train back in the morning. Not a dillemma anyone wants to deal with. Considering the situation though, I'm thankful that the news isn't any worse.

My mother was on the back car of the train with a large group of friends. My understanding is that there was no warning and nearly everyone did a face plant into the seat in front of them due to the abrupt stop. Ambulances on the scene took the significantly injured people to different hospitals. The worst of the injuries in the back car was an older woman my mother was with who apparently was concussed and/or in shock. There were a lot of facial bruises, etc. Needless to say it sounded like it was terrifying.

Now they're trying to gather together and figure out whether to have people pick them up or taxi to their hotel and take the train back in the morning. Not a dillemma anyone wants to deal with. Considering the situation though, I'm thankful that the news isn't any worse.

Through this story i again hear the depressing statistics about amtrak's less than stellar performance. This has probably been discussed before, but what do we as citizens/voters/transit consumers push for. Does amtrak need more funding? Do they need their own line or improved infrastructure? Do they need better sense of accountability or oversight? What do the armchair transit experts out there think?

• 2 weeks later...
Through this story i again hear the depressing statistics about amtrak's less than stellar performance. This has probably been discussed before, but what do we as citizens/voters/transit consumers push for. Does amtrak need more funding? Do they need their own line or improved infrastructure? Do they need better sense of accountability or oversight? What do the armchair transit experts out there think?

Part of the issue of performance has to do with the fact that they are on other companies rails. My understanding is that Amtrak is supposed to take precedent over any other traffic but I find it hard to believe sometimes. When riding the train to Chicago it stops at various sidings all the time. I don't claim to be an expert but my best friend is an engineer for Amtrak in Florida so I get my info from him.

It's getting to the point where the conductors are quick to point out when another railroad makes them late. On a recent trip to Chicago we were an hour late getting into Union Station "Courtesy of the Norfolk Southern Railroad" as the conductor pointed out.

Frankly, there's no way Amtrak could support having its own trackage. That would be the end of Amtrak in a heartbeat.

Archived