Plan to double size of Evergreen Walk....

redbaron

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plan to double size of Evergreen Walk includes more retail, apartments, offices. Article in the Journal Inquirer

To think Hartford has trouble building 100,000 square feet of retail...

Wow, unbelievable... and with housing!! Just goes to show you can't fight market forces - suburbs YES, downtown NO (at least around here)

Didn't they drop the housing portion of the first Evergreen Walk plan? Why would they think that housing would actually get built the second time around?

I believe the town shot down the idea of 500+ apartments and settled with the smaller number 200. There is a definite demand in the area, if only those people would consider Hartford...

South Windsor sucks, IMHO. I grew up there and have no desire to go back. Its a town with no character, just a sea of identical houses. I guess if you like the suburban type of thing, it is for you. Not for me. To each their own I guess.

While on the subject of housing, anyone know of any good spots in Hartford (close to downtown?) that one could purchase a condo or townhouse for 200K or less? I'll be in the market in about 6 months, and I have wanted to live in Hartford for the longest time, but I don't want to rent anymore. I know there won't be much in downtown for 200K or less, but maybe something that is adjacent to downtown? Any thoughts are appreciated.

South Windsor sucks, IMHO. I grew up there and have no desire to go back. Its a town with no character, just a sea of identical houses. I guess if you like the suburban type of thing, it is for you. Not for me. To each their own I guess.

While on the subject of housing, anyone know of any good spots in Hartford (close to downtown?) that one could purchase a condo or townhouse for 200K or less? I'll be in the market in about 6 months, and I have wanted to live in Hartford for the longest time, but I don't want to rent anymore. I know there won't be much in downtown for 200K or less, but maybe something that is adjacent to downtown? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Try Newington or Cromwell, both have a ton of condos. When I was looking in 2004, Newington had a zillion for sale well under 200k. Now that's it's 2007, I'm sure there are less, but I'm sure you can still find something for a good price....

Try Newington or Cromwell, both have a ton of condos. When I was looking in 2004, Newington had a zillion for sale well under 200k. Now that's it's 2007, I'm sure there are less, but I'm sure you can still find something for a good price....
Newington or Cromwell, he not into a subarb area, he wants urban area or the inner city area :huh:

I was looking about a year ago, found some decent ones on Congress street, beatiful historic street, great potential, a little bit of a sketchy neighborhood though.... The linden usually has a few for sale as well as the Bushnell Tower, and if your lucky occasionly some of the smaller brownstones on capitol pop up in the 200 k range.... There are some small ones at the Metropolitan that are in the low 200's. I had my hopes on the capewell but that seems to be going nowhere... Most of the new buildings are apartments, I really had trouble finding a condo in Hartford that I liked. I ended up purchasing in a converted factory in Windsor....

My co worker's grandfather is selling one of the brownstone units on Capitol. I'm not sure what he's asking but I'll ask on Monday.

The old American Airlines Building on Main and Pratt that David Nyberg is converting may have some Condos in that price range.

• 3 weeks later...

If he finds S.Windsor bland he might gauge his eyes out living in Newington; Newington make S.Windsor look cosmopolitan.

There are plenty condos in Hartford for <$200,000, check out Imlay Street which is in walking distance to downtown. I forget the name of those historic home off of Capital Ave, they were around $199,000 at one time.

Nyberg is planning on renting those (at least for the time being). But there is a one bedroom listed for sale at Farmington Place on Imlay Street right now.

I just worked on Imlay Street yesterday, good call. College Street LLC is buying up some buildings there and refurbishing them. I'm not sure what they plan to do with them (rent or condo), but it could be a start....

How about Woodland Street? Woodland Street has some condos that are constantly for sale, and are decent buildings. I know that former Councilman Michael McGarry is selling his, but it's because he has a psycho neighbor, so you probably don't want that one.....

• 3 years later...

Apartments finally headed to Evergreen Walk. Standard Garden Apartments that are pretty common around the Buckland area now. Nothing special, but good for the area nonetheless. Mixed use developments and increased density are always good even when they are cookie cutter suburbia in my opinion. There is also a Hotel component.

Hartford Business Journal

The Town Square at Evergreen Walk will include a 121-room hotel totaling 71,550 square feet; the 200 apartments in the two four-story buildings; 9,800 square feet of retail space; and 28,405 of office space.

the biggest thing about this in my opinion is that the apartments are the first apartment built in South Windsor in 40 years.

so the zoning change and the mentality change is pretty significant, and likely will lead to other apartments in the future. As a town, South Windsor seems very lightly developed still.

the biggest thing about this in my opinion is that the apartments are the first apartment built in South Windsor in 40 years. so the zoning change and the mentality change is pretty significant, and likely will lead to other apartments in the future. As a town, South Windsor seems very lightly developed still.

I agree. I think towns are finally realizing that single family homes on large lots are not something that can be built infinitely. In order to compete now and in the future successful towns will have a wide variety of housing options. What we are seing planned here and in Windsor is surely just the beginning for Greater Hartford. In the short term it could drive investment away from the city, but as a region we need to have healthy growing suburbs in order for the city to have any future hopes anyway so I'm fine with it personally.

Really, I am not a huge fan of suburbanization, but this will help bring more live and energy to the quetest spoke in the Hartford wheel of influence.

A South windsor with 28000 residents is fine and dandy, but in 10 years when its 35000 and there are many more office and retail jobs (there is a lot of office space approved at evergreen) and the NE of Hartford continues to fill out, you will see a stronger region, we will see towns further afield being concidered part of metro Hartford.

Archived