Richmond CenterStage

burt

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't strike me as odd... she didn't even attend the downtown charrette even though it's in her district...

After criticism about her absence, I believe she did appear for the closing session. I saw a picture of her on one of the blogs.

After criticism about her absence, I believe she did appear for the closing session. I saw a picture of her on one of the blogs.

She must have heard about the free cookies and sodas.

Queen of the free lunch!

From what I have read of the 2 papers submitted, one of them; Ord. No. 2007-234, is for the transfer of title to the City for the Carpenter Center building. The deed attached to the ordinance appears rushed and incomplete. I would like to see the property transferred back over to the city but I cannot believe that the City of Richmond survey department could not provide a proper description of the property or a plat that accurately shows the property and I cannot believe that the city attorney is letting the garbage that they have attached to the deed as "exhibit A"; the description of property, get through the process. If you are going to do something, do it right!

She must have heard about the free cookies and sodas.

Queen of the free lunch!

From what I have read of the 2 papers submitted, one of them; Ord. No. 2007-234, is for the transfer of title to the City for the Carpenter Center building. The deed attached to the ordinance appears rushed and incomplete. I would like to see the property transferred back over to the city but I cannot believe that the City of Richmond survey department could not provide a proper description of the property or a plat that accurately shows the property and I cannot believe that the city attorney is letting the garbage that they have attached to the deed as "exhibit A"; the description of property, get through the process. If you are going to do something, do it right!

Have you seen and studied the lengthy proposals and PPEA's prepared and submitted to the city by the foundation's lawyers? They have countless renderings and descriptions of the properties and have been submitted to the Mayor and City Council for perusal.

In addition to Ord. 2007-234 there is also Ord. 2007-235, a voluminous document that has many attachements.

Ryan Ramsey at RCW reported that the CPC unanimously granted the Carpenter Center item yesterday. I'm not quite sure what CPC is, but believe it's the city agency where Ryan works.

Anyway, City Council will vote up or down either Monday night the 10th or Monday, Sept. 24th, and if approved heavy construction work will begin soon after.

I have learned that CPC means City Planning Commission.

Will Jones of inRich reports that contracts were signed yesterday by RPAC, the public/private partnership that will develop and manage Richmond Center Stage, and Gilbane Christman construction company.

The Chairman of RPAC, Thomas F. Farrell II, said that none of the subcontractors had backed out eventhough some of their quotes had expired.

The contract total is $58.1 million.

"We're certainly delighted to hit this milestone," said Jerry Samford, Chairman for the Alliance for the Performing Arts, a coalition of more than 30 local arts organizations.

The Richmond Symphony, Richmond Ballet and Virginia Opera can now program their seasons for the anticipated opening in 2009

I believe Gilbane Christman Construction did the recent renovation and construction at the State Capitol.

I'm glad the existing brick on the old stage house is being dismantled carefully and salvaged. It will be the facing for all but the topmost part of the new stage, and therefore, will match the brick in the rest of the building.

The new stagehouse will probably be very close to 100 feet high, or at the least 75 feet, which is standard for fly grids in theatres. The depth of the new stage from the proscenium arch to the back wall will be 49 feet, almost double its present depth. And considerable wing space will be added stage left (that's to the audience's right and to the actors' left.)

Eventhough the Construction update on the home page is listed as 9/11, click it and you'll see new photos dated 9/18. They're removing some of the panels on the Grace Street facade of the Thalhimer building to allow space for windows along the top of the structure (see rendering as it rolls on the home page to see where the windows will be.)

Inside the Carpenter Theatre, excavation work continues on the current stage and enlargement of the present orchestra pit.

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com/index.php

Fotos from today show what's happening to the former shops along Grace Street frontage of the Carpenter Theatre:

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com

They are today removing the brick work behind the concrete blocks they removed last week on the top level. They are also doing some excavation along Grace and 7th st's for the basement.

• 2 weeks later...

Coupe, if you remember, will you pull up next week's construction update and post it? I will have very limited time for the computer while in Richmond?

RSC usually puts it up on Wednesdays.

Thanks.

Burt,

Ive got you covered. here is this weeks construction update... looks like they have removed most of the pit...

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com/index.p...0&Itemid=45

• 2 weeks later...

Eventhough they have not changed the date on the home page, RCS construction update for Oct. 23rd is up.

It show a pile driver on 6th Street, but there is no explanation. DC thinks it may be for generator or power facilities.

According to on-scene observers, sidewalks along the Broad Street frontage have been completed.

Archived