Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

Not that you'd admit anyway. :P

Ha! Now, what did I find on live maps but a surface parking on that triangular lot behind GRPD. Where did that beautiful building go? An art supply store on the front point on the first floor was in that building, I think for all the years I lived in GR. I loved that building.

Very interesting inside also. When I was in junior high, my friends and I would serve dinner to large groups of Masons for a few bucks. We always spent time running around the whole building, up and down elevators, etc. If it leases office space, I hope they have not destroyed the interior.

Had my wedding reception there. Great facility. Good time, good sound, good kitchen.

I am curious about the building featured in this shot: CSA

Didn't Cutler Sports Apparel go out of business years ago? The sign above the door still has the CSA logo. I drive by here nearly every day and puzzle over this. It finally dawned on me to ask the UP crew. I see cars parked there and people going in and out and wonder what company is in this building and why don't they take that sign down?

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious about the building featured in this shot: CSA

Didn't Cutler Sports Apparel go out of business years ago? The sign above the door still has the CSA logo. I drive by here nearly every day and puzzle over this. It finally dawned on me to ask the UP crew. I see cars parked there and people going in and out and wonder what company is in this building and why don't they take that sign down?

CSA has to be out of business. My mom worked for them for over a decade before they moved south of the border, and later, I think, went out of business.

Does anyone know if something is going on at the Junior Achievement building? I drove by earlier this afternoon and there were two guys working out of the second floor window on the corner. They looked like they were building the framework for some sort of sign or facade on the part of the building that curves around the corner.

This just seemed like an odd place for an in ground swimming pool. I have no idea the current condition, but it looks like it was pretty nice at some point.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Anybody know what business that is to the west? I'll have to investigate this up close sometime this winter/spring.

This just seemed like an odd place for an in ground swimming pool. I have no idea the current condition, but it looks like it was pretty nice at some point.

Anybody know what business that is to the west? I'll have to investigate this up close sometime this winter/spring.

That looks like an old photo, I don't live too far away and the car in the driveway is one we traded about two years ago.

If you mean immediately to the west of the swimming pool, I think that's the Latvian Association Hall.

Re: the building to the west...

If you mean the one with the angle across Grand Avenue, I think that is Gilson Graphics, a printing company. If I'm thinking of the right building, it used to be Wace or something like that.

Edited by wingbert

Whats the deal with the Grand Rapids Public Museum? I've walked past it more then a few times and our parking lot is right up against the north walls. The Jefferson side entrance is all blacked out as are the windows on that portion of the building. So whats the deal with it? its a pretty massive building.

Whats the deal with the Grand Rapids Public Museum? I've walked past it more then a few times and our parking lot is right up against the north walls. The Jefferson side entrance is all blacked out as are the windows on that portion of the building. So whats the deal with it? its a pretty massive building.

The former museum building now contains archived records. Presumably the windows are darkened up to dissuade the public. (Seems like they were always dark.)

The former museum building now contains archived records. Presumably the windows are darkened up to dissuade the public. (Seems like they were always dark.)

I miss the old GRPM. The new museum isn't quite the same.

Edited by grrwymg

Duct tape!

ducttape.jpg

I am guessing that the sign code enforcement person noticed the awnings...

ETA: 4000 posts

Yeah, that duct tape is way less offensive than the previous situation. Boy, we sure have a cool city! I can't figure out why more businesses don't move downtown.

Edited by wingbert

Yeah, that duct is way less offensive than the previous situation. Boy, we sure have a cool city! I can't figure out why more businesses don't move downtown.

It adds "character". That's "cool", right?

This is why there are rules. If they let this go, next thing you know we'll have this:

3180370242_135f9f3fb1.jpg

< / end sarcasm>

What ARE the rules, anyways? What was covered up?

Yeah, that duct tape is way less offensive than the previous situation. Boy, we sure have a cool city! I can't figure out why more businesses don't move downtown.

I think far too few people check the rules before they make their signs/make exterior alterations. It isn't always best to act first and ask forgiveness later.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know anything about these overgrown tennis courts behind the Richmond Hill Apts?

Ehh, actually, after quickly looking at the parcel maps ( http://gis.kentcountymi.gov/website/KCParc...%20411314102021 ), all that land to the north is owned by the apartments, so they must have just decided it cost too much to maintain them. I just thought it was interesting, because it looks like a tennis court in the middle of a little forest.

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving about GR aimlessly the other day and found what looks like an abandoned (residentialized?) church on SW National Avenue just North of Butterworth. I was wondering if anyone had any info on it. Something about it just haunts me. Come to think of it, the entire near west side haunts me, but that's another story.

Edited by nurfle!

• 3 months later...