Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

I think I picked it up off a random photo editing site. When atlrvr mentioned it looking like a model train, the opportunity seemed obvious.

And I'll also add: dang, I can't wait until those west tracks continue on beyond 7th street.

Photoshop > unfocus layer. Both Look good, btw. While you had the train selected you could have also multiplied the layer and drained the color to black and white to set the train back in the days of the original trolley, or just set the mood... :thumbsup:

Edited by Andyc545

post-a5247-Lynx-at-7th-1.jpg

I love this photo Tozmervo! Just like so many of the really good miniature models, it's cute and eerie at the same time. Memory and fantasy cohabit in an airy but airless mental world. Uncanny, isn't it, how the real and the surreal seem to confront each other here, as the futuristic and the old are juxtaposed. As I've learned from years of lurking on UP, the blend of old and new is one of the things that and lend urban atmospheres a special magic. You've beautifully evoked the impending unfolding of that here.

Dreaming of the future: In the decades to come, increased density will mean more and more foot traffic for this area and for others along line. :yahoo: A background filled with people actively milling around or strolling (like the couple near the monument in the present photo) would make the static look of a model a little harder to achieve. Just think of all the bustling shoppers and errand-running residents future photographers will have to edit out of their pics in order to get a similar effect!

Edited by ArtCritic

I won't make much of this - someone with a tighter zoom than 3X could do better. But FYI, this is from the shoulder of Independence in front of Keffer Hyundai. There is also an embankment a little farther out by the tire store, which looks like it would work for taking long distance shots.

post-4915-1216520010_thumb.jpg

Edited by MZT

I won't make much of this - someone with a tighter zoom than 3X could do better. But FYI, this is from the shoulder of Independence in front of Keffer Hyundai. There is also an embankment a little farther out by the tire store, which looks like it would work for taking long distance shots.

Great shot, even though its kind of depressing. Imagine how great that should would look had two ten trade actually been a part of it.

Awesome shot Mo!

I just found this; I took it last week of a Ferrari going South on 77 but was able, due to the contours of the treeline, capture our two banking corporate headquarters together and alone. Not bad for a cell phone full on digital zoom while driving.

IMG000092.jpg

I can't remember a single deragatory comment about the Betchler's architecture (on UP). Is this a unanimous grand slam?

I'm usually not a big fan of modern architecture, but I'm just loving this one. I can almost envision the Betchler being one of Charlotte's most famous landmarks.

I can't remember a single deragatory comment about the Betchler's architecture (on UP). Is this a unanimous grand slam?

I'm usually not a big fan of modern architecture, but I'm just loving this one. I can almost envision the Betchler being one of Charlotte's most famous landmarks.

It's a grandslam for many reasons... We now have a good art center in Charlotte that will likely over time become well recognized globally, we have a globally recognized architect doing the design, the structure is something you don't see in Charlotte and would stand out in even well developed cities like NYC or Chicago, the material choices are original and nothing we really have in this city, and the design and outcome so far are above expectations, very diverse, very striking, and has a huge impact for a small building being surrounded by skyscrappers. Whether you hate its design or not, modern architecture or not, or art or not, I think everyone in Charlotte will have something good to say about this strucuture and it will become a major draw from the outside and those paying admission to view the galleries.