Any iPhone campers in the area?

fsubelch

Haven't had a chance to get out tonight...Was wondering if there were any fanboys camping out at the local AT&T stores for the new iPhone coming out tomorrow? I am gonna stop by the stores after work to see how long the lines are, but I am planning on ordering mine online.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just returned for San Jose (Capital of the Silicon Valley as they like to bill themselves) anyway, folks are being paid upwards to $300 dollars (plus the cost of the phone) to stand in-line for people to get a iphone. As I understand, they won't be releasing the iphone until....is it 6pm EDT?....so that all sales throughout the country start at exactly the same time. This way the east won't buy them up before the west has a chance. However I'm already sick of the iphone after spending two weeks in NorCal. You couldn't escape the hype from it...buses, malls, BART stations, billboards and the local media out there are all advertising the iphone in one way or another.

I will admit, the hype is a tab much. I am a long time apple user, so i can't wait to see these things in action. It will be interesting to see how things play out with this phone.

Would love to know if anyone is camping out here in Tallahassee.

The news just reported a crew of college students is waiting outside the AT&T on Thomasville Road right now. I for one think the devise looks too complicated to use. I have no interest in suscribing to AT&T for service and I'll probably never get one of these things. Heck, I'm still trying to justify spending $250 for my iPod. Money is to hard to come by these days to stand in line everytime Steve & Co. have a new idea. I wish them all the best, however, because the quality of their product is second to none in the personal electronics market.

I usually buy tech-toys as soon as they are released, but I think that I am going to wait for the next batch of iPhones to roll out. I have been hearing reports that although its a GREAT phone, it still has a few quirks that need to be ironed out. This was even confirmed by Steve Jobs. IMHO they are taking a big risk using AT&T as a carrier. I have some "hook-ups" in South Florida that can eventually get an Unlocked iPhone, which means that you can apply any carrier to it and not AT&T. The only draw back to this is that some of its features will be disabled as they are specific to AT&T, which ones, I am not sure.

But this is supposed to be the most user friendly phone ever. I remember when I got my Razor, the book for it was the size of the bible. The iPhone instruction manual is 1/4 that size. One thing though that I thought that was really cool was that there are no pull-down menus in the interface what-so-ever!

I have no doubt the iPhone will be remarkable and fun to use etc...I am just remembering when the iPod first came out and how it was relatively expensive and bigger than its current iterations. I guarantee you that smaller less expensive versions will pop up. I guess it doesn't matter though because they still will be with AT&T. It's long term contract with AT&T is troubling because of their bottom of the barrel customer satisfaction, service, etc...

Best thing about the iPhone is how it will force other companies to rethink their phones. You will start to see more phones with touch screens. LG has already made one for Prada.

I think its crazy that people would tack on early termination fees just to switch over to a lesser carrier for a superior albeit way too expensive phone. I will stick with Verizon and their $100 credit towards a new phone every two years. It seems to work for me because about every two years there is the newest latest most stylish phone around so I don' t need to jump on the hype wagon. Of course, Verizon won't get the iPhone. Darnit :)

^ It's a very cool unit but I won't be standing in line for this product or paying that much for one. BTW, Motorola already has a 2nd generation competitor to the iPhone they've developed in conjunction with Microsoft that they hope to have released by Early 08 or possibly by Christmas 07. It will be able to work on multiple carrier formats...not just AT&T.

On another note, The European market is also going crazy over the iPhone & British carrier Vodaphone looks like it will win a bitter war to be the exclusive distributor over there like AT&T is here. Most Europeans say they wouldn't spend more than $100 max for a phone no matter what all it does. Vodaphone is doing a cost analysis to determine how deeply they will have to subsidize the true cost of the unit. Like AT&T, they fully expect the iPhone to generate a higher revenue per user so they feel they can justify these up front subsidies.

Also, Research in Motion (RIM), manufacturer of the Blackberry devices, has gained approval to start selling it's devices in China & they're going crazy over there for the release of this product in their Country. :wacko:

I'm still waiting for my opportunity to buy a Razr! LOL! I've been with Sprint for years and when I got my last phone they didn't have Razr's, now they do. A phone is a phone to me. I don't need to check e-mail on it, send pictures on it, surf the web on it, watch tv on it, listen to music on it... I just need to talk on it... and send my unlimited text messages. There's no way, on God's beautiful Earth I'd spend that type of money, for something that will likely require me to spend more money to use and enjoy.

You buy it for $600. Then you think "Ah... I need to get a case so it doesn't get all scratched up" then you use the services that AT&T will provide to maximize the utility from your phone and next thing you know, you've got the highest phone bill ever. Good luck with this one.

I'll be using my $175 rebate that Sprint gives me every two years to get my new phone... and it won't be a big bulky one.

We went to Books-A-Million at around 1:00 and there were indeed probably 20 folks lined up outside. It took me a second to figure out what they heck they were doing and then I realized it had to be the iPhone. Funny thing is though, it was mostly young teenagers, I would have liked to had $500 to waste on a phone when I was that age.

Just returned from the AT&T store that is behind Gov Square mall. I decided not to get a phone for myself, but I did pick one up for my parents. I was about the 60th person in line and got the last 8gb (bigger of the 2) phones. I was surprised at the diversity of the crowd. Big mix, and to my surprise lots of older gentlemen. Can't wait til I get my own iphone, but you can stop in the store and play on the display....its really neat.

The sad thing is most of the people will probable put it on a Credit Card and go further indebt. I buy all of my phones used off of eBay. I just refuse to stay on a contract with any cell phone company. The good thing with Alltel is you can call and activate any Alltel by just giving them the ESN number. I have a Motorola E815 coming in the mail for my wife. I only paid $60 bucks for it off of eBay.

Archived