Concord in the midst of major changes?

Neo

well. While it would be interesting to see the impact in the grand scheme of things, I can't see how this could ever be a good thing. Concord/Cabarrus's economy is taking a giant hit from Philip Morris just after the huge hit from Pillowtex/Cannon Mills. Taking away another cash cow like LMS from Concord is like taking BoA or Wachovia completely away from Charlotte. Sure it will survive without it, but it would have an enormous impact on the future of the city were it not there. So much in Cabarrus revolved around those three companies that growth in Cabarrus has seemed to slow a bit. Granted a lot of that is the county not allowing as many mega-culdesac neighborhoods as they used to to help control growth in the school system, but a lot of it also has to do with these shots to the local economy.

Cabarrus is going to be in a very difficult position if the track is moved (though I'm inclined to think it won't). Though there has been a lot of residential growth in the past couple of decades, that growth has occurred mostly as the city becomes a bedroom community for Charlotte -- the people moving into those subdivisions are new to the county. They aren't creating that many jobs in Cabarrus as they arrive, especially if you exclude minimum-pay positions at gas stations and restaurants.

The tens of thousands of locals who worked at Philip Morris, Pillowtex, and the race-related industries are feeling the brunt of all this. If the track moves, the county's last big economic resource disappears. It will undoubtedly continue to be a desirable place for new residential development due to the number of commuters to Mecklenburg County, but the county's internal economy will be screwed all to pieces. Considering most workers at track are probably not carrying a large amount of savings, and are generally not going to be able to find living-wage work elsewhere in the county, they will either have to go on the dole or move out of Cabarrus altogether to find work.

All this because of a spat between small-town amateur politicians and a billionaire egomaniac?

Im watching all of this drama play out from DC at the moment. I have lived in Concord for 12 years and personally I think the county of Cabarrus should look at this a great opportunity. I know the races bring in alot of money but they also bring in alot of problems. Drunk driving, lewd activity, traffic nightmares. Other then the restaurants and gas stations all of the people do next to nothing for retail in Cabarrus County. The races are designed for people to spend money at the speedway property. I realize that Cabarrus has taken a major hit with PM and Pillowtex closing but look at what has happened to Kannapolis. I dont think even we here on UP have grasped how huge the NC Research Campus is going to impact the area and our national reputation. With Charlotte growing as it is I think Concord can afford to lose LMS. I for one would not want to be doing business with someone as arrogant as Bruton Smith anyway. Within ten years I think this whole mass would be a distant memory.

Maybe this is just my tunnel vision working here, but I think 3 nights (three Sprint races) of (increased) drunk driving/lewd behavior/traffic woes is worth the hundreds of millions of dollars the area would not see otherwise.

In reading through the offers under consideration, I think my least favorite is the widening of 29 further down to Pitts School Rd or Liles Pkwy. Sure sure it helps the race traffic, but it will otherwise destroy what's left of the hopes for this area/corridor to one day be more pedestrian friendly, not that there is much hope now. Adding the perimeter road from Mallard Creek Rd to Speedway at the camping center will be a nice addition, but I really wish they would do is build another exit on 85 for Mallard Creek Rd next to the 485/85 interchange a la Statesville Rd at 77/85.

Not that there was ever a whole lot of doubt of this outcome, I am now interested in just what a $60 million drag strip looks like considering I think I read that the most expensive one in the entire country was only $30 mil. Also, with Concord's promise to build sound barriers, I can't help but wonder what exactly these barriers will be. Muting the sudden bursts of chaos is like trying to mute an airport. It should also be interesting to see whether or not Concord/Cabarrus plans on speeding up the progress on Liles and Rocky River.

Its interesting (and ironic) that absolutely nothing has changed about the basic situation from 6 months ago regarding LMS.

They are still going to build the drag strip, LMS is still there, and the improvements to the facilities are still going to be made. But now Bruton Smith is making out with $80 million worth of incentives, and Concord is paying for sound barriers that LMS should have been building to start with AND losing money from tax breaks. Bruton Smith is an ass and a bad corporate citizen.

Politicians will spin this is a major win for the region but the only winner here is Bruton Smith.

I should add that Concord and Cabarrus did the right thing. I just hate it when people like Mr Smith strong arm others into situations like this and create drama when then is no need for it. He could have very easily just asked for most of those things to start with and I suspect he would have gotten plenty of cooperation.

^ Maybe, but the process would have taken 6 months longer and he would probably not have gotten so much in concessions. Smith made it unmistakably clear that Concord needs him more than he needs them. I am rather shocked at the speed and sincerity with which Concord caved in to his threats of leaving.

One thing i came to realize today while driving into concord for thanksgiving at my parents' was that he got a lot of free advertising out of this, he made it seem like the city NEEDS him (which all in all is sadly true,) and he gets these incentives in place for himself without actually asking for any of them. Like you guys said, he could've asked for this stuff and might've eventually gotten it, but not without a much harder battle which wouldn't have been worth his time considering the amount of wealth he has. He could've just done all this himself, at least the things that actual DO have an effect on the speedway.

In a weird way though, it's a little nice to have a city recognize that it needs its businesses and is willing to go out of the way to keep them. It's like giving a company breaks or incentives for moving to the city and then just hoping they'll stay, which often times they don't. Instead, cities should, from time to time, thank businesses that truly bring a lot to their economy. In my opinion, Concord and Cabarrus pulled one over on Smith claiming the $30mil of the $70-80mil for the extension of Liles which has A. nothing to do with the speedway and B. would have been built regardless. Having that extension will only slightly improve traffic flow from the speedway, but not so much that would make an enormous impact. The improvements to 29 to make sense, and they are additions that are deserving of Bruton's attention like widening further down, burying the utility lines, building tunnels and bridges, and putting up traffic masts.

It's a shame it had to happen this way, but the outcome overall was good imo. The city looks smart for keeping the tourism industry alive in cabarrus and bruton looks like a hero for deciding to stay. At least this is how the media is beginning to twist the story to the oblivious mass public.

One thing i came to realize today while driving into concord for thanksgiving at my parents' was that he got a lot of free advertising out of this, he made it seem like the city NEEDS him (which all in all is sadly true,) and he gets these incentives in place for himself without actually asking for any of them. Like you guys said, he could've asked for this stuff and might've eventually gotten it, but not without a much harder battle which wouldn't have been worth his time considering the amount of wealth he has. He could've just done all this himself, at least the things that actual DO have an effect on the speedway.

In a weird way though, it's a little nice to have a city recognize that it needs its businesses and is willing to go out of the way to keep them. It's like giving a company breaks or incentives for moving to the city and then just hoping they'll stay, which often times they don't. Instead, cities should, from time to time, thank businesses that truly bring a lot to their economy. In my opinion, Concord and Cabarrus pulled one over on Smith claiming the $30mil of the $70-80mil for the extension of Liles which has A. nothing to do with the speedway and B. would have been built regardless. Having that extension will only slightly improve traffic flow from the speedway, but not so much that would make an enormous impact. The improvements to 29 to make sense, and they are additions that are deserving of Bruton's attention like widening further down, burying the utility lines, building tunnels and bridges, and putting up traffic masts.

It's a shame it had to happen this way, but the outcome overall was good imo. The city looks smart for keeping the tourism industry alive in cabarrus and bruton looks like a hero for deciding to stay. At least this is how the media is beginning to twist the story to the oblivious mass public.

To me, the opposite- the city looks incredibly stupid, IMO, and Bruton Smith showed that he has the upper hand. Truly a slap in the face. Nonetheless, for the ending situation that Concord was in, they made the right decision to give incentives to keep him here, at least this will keep some money staying in the city in the long run and hopefully the improvements will attract new businesses. I still believe that Smith said he was going to move all as a stunt, and honestly had no intentions of leaving.

^I agree with this. I was at a pre-Thanksgiving dinner in Concord, and when this subject came up the prevailing opinion of those in attendence, was that Smith played the city council like a banjo. This was mostly people who live right in the town itself. There was also some concern that these incentives along with some others the city has promised is going to result in a property tax increase for the people there.

I would say that everyone involved looks worse than they did before: the city council comes off as half-incompetent, half-corrupt; Bruton Smith comes off as a petty, self-entitled brat; Concord comes off as the kind of backwater burg where this type of thing is even possible.

I've explained this situation to a few non-North Carolinians and all of them have expressed amusement at how "Mayberry" the whole situation seems, even considering the billions of dollars at stake. I'm just glad that the national news-comedy outlets seem to have overlooked the incident so far.

^ Initially I was also crossing my fingers hoping the news-comedy outlets would overlook this, until it hit me that this kind of thing is pretty common everywhere, and perhaps the NASCAR angle is becoming too mainstream to be satire-worthy. Otherwise it seems Jon Stewart and Conan [at a minimum] should have blitzed us already. Or perhaps they're waiting on something...

As far as Mayberry, perhaps in terms of smaller towns, but not a southern thing, I have been on the research end of "courting" small towns across this country and others. Or is it that Bruton Smith bears an uncanny resemblance to Boss Hog? :shades:

Edited by nowensone

Apparently it was all smiles and lollipops at the press conference today, with Smith stating that he'd be in Concord "forever". From what I understand, everyone present basically tried to act like this whole incident was a par-for-the-course negotiation between the city and a private business (as opposed to a flagrant money-grab that will cost the taxpayers tens of millions in unnecessary losses).

So I guess the precedent is now set: if you have big money and live in Concord, you can say and do whatever you damn well please and the county will pay you for it!

Please tell me this isn't true. Apparently the rubes on the Concord city council and Cabarrus county council have decided to give Smith the final say in road building priorities in the county that will be funded by public money. Smith I might remind everyone is not an elected public official.

If true I find this absolutely outrageous and one of the worst examples of a corporate sell out that I have ever seen.

Oh and BTW, Speedway Blvd is to be renamed Bruton Smith Blvd. Remember I mentioned they might as well re-name Concord, Brutonopolis.

Please tell me this isn't true. Apparently the rubes on the Concord city council and Cabarrus county council have decided to give Smith the final say in road building priorities in the county that will be funded by public money. Smith I might remind everyone is not an elected public official.

If true I find this absolutely outrageous and one of the worst examples of a corporate sell out that I have ever seen.

Oh and BTW, Speedway Blvd is to be renamed Bruton Smith Blvd. Remember I mentioned they might as well re-name Concord, Brutonopolis.

Had the rezoning never taken place, none of this would have ever been an issue... Dont blame Bruton.. Blame the County council.. The screwed us...

And Bruton is doing what any powerful business man would have done... (or should i say smart)

Had the rezoning never taken place, none of this would have ever been an issue... Dont blame Bruton.. Blame the County council.. The screwed us...

And Bruton is doing what any powerful business man would have done... (or should i say smart)

Is that the case? My impression was that the problem started when Bruton began moving dirt for the drag strip without first getting a building permit. When Concord reminded him of that, he got huffy and the whole pi**ing contest started. Yes, it's his land, but he chose to ignore the city when they told him he must get the building permit in place first. Correct me if I'm wrong in that sequence of events.

It just seems to me that Bruton Smith has a history of not playing by the rules and feels he's above them. I cite the incident a few years back when his people "accidentally" cut down the trees that he was told to replant and he refused. But as we all know, there's more than enough blame to go around in this whole ridiculous fiasco.

Is that the case? My impression was that the problem started when Bruton began moving dirt for the drag strip without first getting a building permit. When Concord reminded him of that, he got huffy and the whole pi**ing contest started. Yes, it's his land, but he chose to ignore the city when they told him he must get the building permit in place first. Correct me if I'm wrong in that sequence of events.

It just seems to me that Bruton Smith has a history of not playing by the rules and feels he's above them. I cite the incident a few years back when his people "accidentally" cut down the trees that he was told to replant and he refused. But as we all know, there's more than enough blame to go around in this whole ridiculous fiasco.

My understanding is that Bruton started moving dirt without a permit, people started asking the city council what was going on, and then the council rezoned the land to ban a drag strip in a private meeting. That is what ticked Bruton off. And I don't blame Bruton for what the city is doing, I blame the city officials for completely bending over backwards for Bruton.

My understanding is that Bruton started moving dirt without a permit, people started asking the city council what was going on, and then the council rezoned the land to ban a drag strip in a private meeting. That is what ticked Bruton off. And I don't blame Bruton for what the city is doing, I blame the city officials for completely bending over backwards for Bruton.

Rezoning to ban a drag strip is a slap in the face... I know he needed a permit, but they could have went about the halt in a different manner... They should know better than to piss off someone of this magnitude... And I agree that we shouldnt have to do this for Bruton... But we do have to realize he has never received any funding or breaks that im aware of.. And our Bobcats which i support and our panthers have both received funding.. (LOOOOOTS of IT)

Im not trying to be a suck up to a powerful man.. Im just saying I really believe the Officials screwed up on this one. They prob. should have just let it be.

Where did you hear this? In all that I've read and heard I have yet to hear that Bruton Smith will get to choose the priority of the projects. If it is indeed true then I too find it outrageous. The incentives were based on a "wish list" from Bruton Smith though so perhaps that already contained priorities for projects. Could it be that some of the projects must be completed first so that certain aspects of the track renovation and drag strip construction can begin?

The renaming of Speedway Blvd. is complete ludicrous IMO. There really is no need for this. Roads in this area are already confusing enough but now we've got Concord Mills Blvd, Speedway Blvd, and Bruton Smith Blvd for people to refer to?

Where did you hear this? In all that I've read and heard I have yet to hear that Bruton Smith will get to choose the priority of the projects.

WSOC reported that on their broadcast last night. Coincidentally, "rubes" is exactly how I described them when I heard that.

I was under the impression you didn't have to have a permit to do the grading part. Can anyone that knows about the building process confirm this?

I have to agree though that all the City counsel had to do was simply give Burton a call about their concerns and work it out. If I had built a billion dollar enterprise with Cabarus county largely benefiting from it, and had done it with out ever asking for any tax incentives, paying for half of Speedway Blvd. (which can be used by anyone) Then have the City Counsel go behind closed doors to redo the zoning on his property to not allow him to build a Drag Strip on land that he owns. That was intended for a rack track to begin with. All because some neighbors got concerned with noise, yet they live next to a Dirt Track and a Race Track. Whom which those neighbors are from the words of the Mayors mouth "Now okay with the dragstrip being built & understand the economic impact it would have on Concord should the track go elsewhere". That to me just spells dirty politics. I know Burton used his leverage to get a little break with incentives, but I kinda feel he actually deserves it. His hand in the Nascar world employees a lot of people in the Charlotte Metro including me, and I'm not even a Nascar fan. That equates to a lot of tax money being pumped back in to the local economy. I could see how he could be originally hurt by the city/county. I'm not saying the neighbors don't have a right to have there concerns about noise addressed. I just think Concord is paying for a very costly mistake with tax payer dollars that could probably have been resolved with a simple talk and a few hand shakes.

Edited by fulcrumsf

I will note that Cabarrus County was already looking at ways to fund transportation projects since NCDOT is completely corrupt at this point and any NCDOT funded projects are very slow to complete if they even get started. IMO it is worth a little extra sales tax to get some projects funded and completed more quickly such as the George Liles Blvd. extension. Speedway Blvd. could most certainly benefit from a project to help relieve congestion regardless of Bruton Smith though I despise the way that area has been built up as a prime example of bad development.

I will also point out that a definitive answer as to where the extra funds will come from have not been decided and may very well come from an increased hotel tax for example which would not put the burden on residents of Cabarrus County but on those who visit and actually use the resources that the tax will go to pay for.

I agree, just as Meck was able to rely on the hotel tax to help land the NHOF, Cabarrus could use the same tax to fund these projects. I mean, why not? Their hotel occupancy rates are becoming some of the best in the region (excluding uptown of course.) Why not capitalize on that? I actually think that Gaston, Iredell, and Cabarrus could all rationalize this tax as their size and growth are creating great stress on their infrastructure. Capitalizing on a tax that won't cost its citizens hardly any (if any) money would be a smart move on their parts.

^ Initially I was also crossing my fingers hoping the news-comedy outlets would overlook this, until it hit me that this kind of thing is pretty common everywhere, and perhaps the NASCAR angle is becoming too mainstream to be satire-worthy. Otherwise it seems Jon Stewart and Conan [at a minimum] should have blitzed us already. Or perhaps they're waiting on something...

As far as Mayberry, perhaps in terms of smaller towns, but not a southern thing, I have been on the research end of "courting" small towns across this country and others. Or is it that Bruton Smith bears an uncanny resemblance to Boss Hog? :shades:

Except that with the writer's strike, there is no more topical comedy.

Cabarrus Couny = Hazard County? hmmm.... could be.

I think that was irritates me most about this whole thing is the renaming of the street for Bruton Smith. I think that you shouldn't name a street after someone who is alive for one thing, and doing so will have absolutely no bearing on the actual speedway or any projects around it.