Concord in the midst of major changes?

Neo

Bev Perdue is scheduled to make some kind of announcement at the Embassy Suites by Concord Mills this morning around 9:30AM. Any guesses as to what the announcement would be?

I saw her schedule listed on her web site and it said she would be in the Piedmont area for an economic announcement. Has that changed? No idea on who/what it could be.

WBTV pointed out that the hotel where the announcement is set to take place is also the location of the NASCAR Sprint Media Tour. Whether it's related, coincidence, or just smart planning (take advantage of media being there) I have no clue.

http://www.wbtv.com/....asp?S=11850548

Edited by Urbanity

Celguard to add 289 jobs in Charlotte, Concord

A Charlotte-based company helping develop batteries for electric cars plans to expand and add a new facility in Concord, adding 289 jobs.

Celguard now has 390 jobs in Charlotte. The new jobs will pay average annual salaries of $56,960. The company is a division of Polypore International.

Celguard stands to receive state incentives worth up to $5.3 million over 11 years if it adds the new jobs and retains the existing ones. N.C. Commerce Department officials approved the breaks this morning in Raleigh.

Gov. Bev Perdue is scheduled to announce the new jobs at a news conference in Concord shortly.

The company was considering expansion in Georgia and South Carolina. Celguard makes membranes used in lithium batteries for notebook computers, digital cameras and other devices.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/celguard-to-add-289-jobs-in-charlotte-concord

Edited by Urbanity

• 4 weeks later...

An update to the George Lyles Blvd extension from Weddington Rd to Hwy 29: the city of Concord is going to upfront the money for this project (~$10M) and it has been given a construction let date of April 2012. IMO this is very good news as it will relieve some of the bottlenecks that occur in this area, particularly during rush hours. Let's not forget that the Philip Morris property sits in the corner of where this will come into Hwy 29, so this could be very good news for helping to attract a buyer of that property.

There are updates to other roads in this general area as well and can be seen by viewing the most recent Concord City Circular.

• 8 months later...

It looks like an entertainment company is set to purchase the Philip Morris site. Unfortunately, I've never heard of them or anything they've produced. Apparently it is a movie production studio and music studio combo and from what I can tell the owner is one in the same. It could bring up to 2,500 jobs to the area though which is obviously a good thing.

Here's a newspaper article regarding the news: http://www2.independenttribune.com/news/2010/nov/01/3/company-interested-philip-morris-site-ar-501061/

Here are links to the companies:

Elevating Entertainment Motion Pictures

http://elevatingentertainment.com/index.htm

Lamon Records

http://lamonrecords.com/index.html

^^After reading the linked websites as well as reviewing what I could find as far as mentions of their two existing productions, I'm thinking this one is more hot air than substance.

To be clear, I'm loving the idea of movie/music production studios in that location and I think it is certainly is something worth pursuing, but I would be really surprised if this moved forward as proposed.

Edited by Urbanity

Apparently the movie/music/tv studios are just one part of the plan:

A Georgia entertainment company has ambitious plans for the shuttered Philip Morris USA plant in Concord, with hopes of transforming the old cigarette factory into a campus with a movie production studio, a water park, restaurants and an electric-car manufacturer.

While this addresses my initial skepticism about Elevating Entertainment being responsible for the whole project (which is what the other article implied) I agree with the one commissioner's concern about the lack of details:

Commissioner Grace Mynatt said parts of the plan as she's heard it "seem very vague." Mynatt said she had "a big question mark" about the plans to manufacture electric cars, because "you don't just all of a sudden start building electric cars."

I do think a mixed use project is a good idea though and would like to see the restaurants, and movie.music.tv production facilities move forward.

Read more: http://www.charlotte...l#ixzz14OmYaJ62

I can almost see Phillip Morris from my home and it is a sad sight to see the loss of 2500 jobs in a town Concords size. Companies love to make big announcements promising jobs and glitter and then threaten to back out unless the county or state agree to all but pay them to set up shop. So I hate to be debbie downer but I have big doubts about this one.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure that anyone mentioned the proposed flyover bridge for Concord Mills to alleviate traffic bottlenecks at the first mall entrance when coming off of I-85.. I was able to dig up a crude mock-up of the bridge (look closely):

attachicon.gifProposed-Left-Over-1-410x330.jpg

It is probably necessary, although for a $5 million project, it does nothing to address traffic in the opposite direction which often just as bad.  I'd imagine the exit at Derita/ Mallard Creek Rd will help a bit when I-485 opens up, but traffic will probably never be "good" on a weekend, holiday, or race week

They also want to put up another $4 million for an I-85 pedestrian overpass and a couple pedestrian improvements (you know, so Concord Mills and Bruton Smith will become walkable). :stop:

This almost seems like a bargain considering how much traffic goes through this area on a daily basis. 

MilZ, It WILL alleviate traffic in the opposite direction by eliminating the long left turn signal into the mall on the interstate side.  Thereby, it will nullify half the light cycle leaving only cross traffic and traffic turning left out of the shopping centers which are comparatively negligible.  Thus there won't be such a long backup of traffic being pushed back into the other lights. 

I really wish they would reconfigure the light at Thunder Road on CMills Blvd.  I can't tell you how many times I've sat at that light (heading toward the interstate) a solid two or three minutes waiting on a left turn signal from the opposite direction that is on for no reason. I really wish it were legal to run red lights when you are the only car at the intersection.

The completion of 485 will also greatly relieve traffic in the opposite direction as it is mostly people headed from the Highland Creek, Cox Mill/Christenbury, and Derita areas trying to get to the interstate.  Traffic in this area will be much more bearable in the future.

Neo, any idea on what the huge mound that is being built up on Weddington road (adjacent to the hotels and car dealerships) is for?  They appear to have been doing a lot of grading work and building some pretty sizeable walls.  But I haven't seen a peep anywhere about what is going on.

EDIT: A quick look on a surprisingly very up-to-date Google Maps shows foundation work for what appears to be apartments, if I had to guess... sigh.  Still no info though

Edited by AuLukey

MilZ, It WILL alleviate traffic in the opposite direction by eliminating the long left turn signal into the mall on the interstate side.  Thereby, it will nullify half the light cycle leaving only cross traffic and traffic turning left out of the shopping centers which are comparatively negligible.  Thus there won't be such a long backup of traffic being pushed back into the other lights. 

I know it will help traffic in the opposite direction to a degree, and I am glad they are trying to do something about it. The issue is also the fact that when Concord Mills is busy, the left turn light often does not interfere with traffic towards the interstate, because traffic across the intersection is still backed up.. Usually the left turn entering to the mall goes through its cycle, and traffic towards the interstate still cannot even move due to traffic congestion near the exit at I-85 (and people making a right out of the mall).  

Neo, any idea on what the huge mound that is being built up on Weddington road (adjacent to the hotels and car dealerships) is for? They appear to have been doing a lot of grading work and building some pretty sizeable walls. But I haven't seen a peep anywhere about what is going on. EDIT: A quick look on a surprisingly very up-to-date Google Maps shows foundation work for what appears to be apartments, if I had to guess... sigh. Still no info though
It will be 253 apartments. I was going to suggest you take a look at the recent satellite view on Google but you already figured that out. :) It is called Waterstone At Weddington. It is amazing how much construction is going on in Cabarrus County as a whole.

Concord Mills getting some renovations and new stuff (other than the aquarium) http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/01/16/concord-mills-to-debut-new-stores-complete.html

That article is so unbelievably misleading.  The only renovation is that a few stores are getting facelifts.  I was hoping for an overhaul and an update to the entrances (I'd honestly be happy with working accent lighting for one.)

FWIW, here is the site plan and rendering of the small parcel at Weddington and George Liles Pkwy (new section currently under construction):

http://www.collett.biz/Content/Uploads/collett/Properties/Willow-Oaks-Flyer-Publix-update-12.19.13.pdf

WHAT IN THE WORLD is that Probst Property "Preparing to take to Market" shown on page 8?  I remember there being a small mixed-use proposal a couple years ago at Concord Farms and 29, but I thought that fell through, not to mention this looks entirely different in scope.  Whatever this is, coupled with whatever lands that HUGE (page 4) Philip Morris lot, this area of Concord is going to be transformed.  I really hope the city is responsible with this.  Maybe they'll be smart and let Publix be the only big box in this area.

Edited by AuLukey

WHAT IN THE WORLD is that Probst Property "Preparing to take to Market" shown on page 8?  I remember there being a small mixed-use proposal a couple years ago at Concord Farms and 29, but I thought that fell through, not to mention this looks entirely different in scope.  Whatever this is, coupled with whatever lands that HUGE (page 4) Philip Morris lot, this area of Concord is going to be transformed.  I really hope the city is responsible with this.  Maybe they'll be smart and let Publix be the only big box in this area.

I believe the proposal that you're referring to is this one: http://www.concordnc.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Vir-CURdbv8%3d&tabid=468

I wouldn't bet on there not being any big box stores. Harrisburg is somewhat against this, but I haven't seen Concord be even a little bit against a big box store. Hence the Wal-Mart across from Concord Mills. I did find the fact that the Propst Farms property was being prepared for market surprising however. I'm not sure if the city will find opposition from Christy's Nursery/MUGO which covers a large amount of property on Hwy 29/Future George Liles and Concord Farms Rd. The value of their property will only climb and I'm sure for the right figure they would slice their property up or even move, but I have a hunch that they will choose to sit on it for as long as they can.

FWIW, it appears that there are pylons being constructed for the bridge across 29 at the future George Liles Pkwy. You can see the rebar cylinders stacked up next to Hwy 29 and of course the very large boring machine next to Hwy 29 as well.

It's actually a pretty big let down that that was for a city/county plan rather than a private developer's plan.  And you're probably right although most of the major big boxes have already been eaten up just north at Afton Ridge.  I can't see a Walmart, maybe a Costco given all the residential that surrounds this site.  Not wishful thinking, just my expectations of Concord not seeing their visions through to fruition.

• 7 months later...

Seems that the old Phillip Morris plant was sold to Victory Industrial Park, LLC. via twitter by David Whisenant from WBTV.

Good news for this gigantic site.

Thought I'd revive this thread.  Here is a bit more information about the buyer of the Phillip Morris plant.  It turns out that they will be manufacturing electric-vehicle batteries. 

I'm glad to see that the region still has a good draw for manufacturing.

The property also is served by dedicated rail spurs from Norfolk-Southern, which is completing a new intermodal terminal on 230 acres adjacent to the Charlotte Douglas International Airport, according to CBRE Group Inc., which helped market the vacant plant.

It's good to see that we're already seeing an impact from the new intermodal terminal

Take it for what it is worth though, there is still a lot of vagueness to the article about jobs and specifics.

Very happy to see this site utilized and nice to see it go to a forward looking industry.

I swear on clear days from the top of the hill you can just see the edges of Uptown. Always thought it was really neat composition, the large PM plant, NASCAR, and the city in the distance.

(Did Bruton really want a Monorail out to the track?! Let's doooooo it!)

• Like 2