sorbus - a mirage?

mimesis

Does anyone know what happened to the planned "Sorbus" store downcity? When I bike past there yesterday, the building had opened up as another "Space at Alice" gallery. I had suspected that the whole "Sorbus" thing was a ruse: never heard of the place, and no web presence.

I don't mind having another gallery space downtown, as long as it has continuous, good quality shows, and doesn't turn into another dead spot like the "Space at Alice" across from Tazza.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The exhibit at 220 Westminster Street will be up for the next week. After that point construction will begin for a new tenant.

The new tenant, who will be unveiled next week, is a prominent local retailer who is opening their flagship store on Westminster Street.

Sorbus is "real" store, which exists at Mashpee Commons on Cape Cod. Due to unforeseen personal events, Sorbus will not be opening at 220 Westminster.

Additionally, the "Space at Alice" across from tazza is a temporary exhibition space until construction begins for a restaurant later this summer. We like to provide local artists and galleries with a place to exhibit while our retail spaces are vacant or in transition. I think this is a solution that benefits the entire Downcity community.

The exhibit at 220 Westminster Street will be up for the next week. After that point construction will begin for a new tenant.

The new tenant, who will be unveiled next week, is a prominent local retailer who is opening their flagship store on Westminster Street.

I'm still trying to figure out who the "prominent local retailer" could be... Do we even have a prominent local retailer? And a flagship store suggests they already have more than one... Oop! Downcity perhaps? Spardello's Downtown? (Total guesses on my part, no info at all...)

- Garris

oop seems to be the obvious choice and westminster would be a great spot for them, though it would be directly competing with their only other store, which is just a few blocks away in the mall.

spardello's would be a decent option as well.

will the retailer be announced this afternoon or tomorrow?

oop seems to be the obvious choice and westminster would be a great spot for them, though it would be directly competing with their only other store, which is just a few blocks away in the mall.

Archived