'Boro Peeps

andremurra

Wow, we have our own forum!! I never would have thought a year ago that anyone other than me would be interested in talking about Statesboro, but lookee here! So, I think it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves and say a little bit about ourselves - for us regular forumers and any guests who have a connection to Eagle Territory, or have a memory they would like to share about the 'Boro. :thumbsup:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Statesboro my entire life. I think the population was around 8,000 when I was born, so I have seen a lot of changes over the years. My roots come from Toccoa/Hartwell and North-Atlanta/Dawsonville/Ellijay/Persimmon. I was homeschooled k-12 and am now studying Regional Economic Development at Georgia Southern University. I plan to study Urban Design/Planning at Georgia Tech or Florida State for my Masters (or UF or any Cali schools - anyone know of any TOP Urban Design programs?) My desire is to bring some design/planning exterpise to the Statesboro and Coastal regions. I feel like our area is lacking of forward-thinking leadership. Statesboro is going to grow with or without anyone's permission. I have done several economic development projects for the Georgia, Savannah, and of course Statesboro. More to come!

Edited by andremurra

Hey, everyone! Looks like the great state of Georgia's added yet another subforum to its list. If you have any problems, feel free to contact me, your moderator (Spartan and Krazeeboi can also help if I'm not around, but keep in mind they have their own forums to deal with).

It's great to see just how much interest there is in this city even though it is relatively small when compared to the sizes of the other cities in the Georgia forum that have been given their own subforum (perhaps they could take a hint, heh heh).

Anyways, I look forward to hearing about all the great developments going on this city. I'll be moving all the relevant threads here from the Georgia forum hopefully within the next few minutes.

Also, a short side note, I haven't made the announcement to the rest of the forum yet, but the Statesboro forum will gain another member when I move down there later this year (for GSU).

I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

It's good to see the Boro has its own forum.

I'm a newbie, having only been living here for a few years. I work in a construction and development related job. I can't describe myself too specifically because I come in contact with some of the local government employees and elected officials (city more than county) on a semi-regular basis. Statesboro has a lot going for it, but has a few drawbacks including some of those employees and officials I mentioned earlier. They and their rules make my job interesting, to say the least.

It's good to see the Boro has its own forum.

I'm a newbie, having only been living here for a few years. I work in a construction and development related job. I can't describe myself too specifically because I come in contact with some of the local government employees and elected officials (city more than county) on a semi-regular basis. Statesboro has a lot going for it, but has a few drawbacks including some of those employees and officials I mentioned earlier. They and their rules make my job interesting, to say the least.

It's not a "good ole boy" system, but it does seem that projects that involve local people have an easier time than those that don't. Despite what they may say, their actions seem to discourage development, or at least quality development. What they do encourage through zoning changes and variances is not always of the quality it should be. Statesboro has been lucky to get some development that was built to a higher quality than the city requires (primarily better landscaping and building exteriors). However we still have things like the golf cart and trailer sales business across from the mall and the self-service ice machine on Northside Drive West that should be prohibited at least from an appearance standpoint. But the elected officials don't seem to have a problem allowing those.

• 1 month later...

Well, guys, I'm a freshman at GSU now. I'm hoping to be a History (education) major. Ideally, I'd like to stay until I can get my doctorate.

I just moved here from Douglasville (just west of Atlanta along I-20), so it may take me a while to learn about what's going on in Statesboro. However, I'm sure that'll change soon! I look forward to talking with you guys about what's going up around here.

Glad to have you here. Statesboro's moving on up in Urbanplanet society - we are now hosting our very own moderator!! Perhaps we wont have so many Atlanta moderators saying things like "of the 343984 people added to ga this past year, i estimate that 343914 moved to Atlanta, about 20 moved to Savannah and maybe 5 to Brunswick and 30 to Columbus, and 15 to Augusta!!" That was starting to get annoying (not naming any names tho).

So, Ironchapman, what do you think about Statesboro so far. Im sure its an adjustment from Atlanta metropolitan living, but so far, what do you think? Do you think all of our urbanplanet.org hype is justified?

Edited by andremurra

Hmmm...it's a nice town. Kind of reminds me of my hometown in both size and amount of things to do. Douglasville has about 25-30,000 people and several big stores, as well as the Arbor Place Mall. Statesboro's definitely got more clubs and bars, though (it's a college town, what do you expect? ;) ). That doesn't really matter to me, though, because I don't drink.

Wish there was a Borders nearby, though. I loved going there back in Douglasville.

All in all, though, I've really enjoyed my first week down here. Seems like quite a nice place--and it does live up to the hype :)

One of these days, I'll get my camera and go take some pictures of the GSU campus. I love the layout here.

Im glad you like it here. You should check out the "Book & Cranny" located in the Woodlands Square shopping center. Its in between Quiznos and Bella Bikini (on 301 South across the campus). It is basically a small-scale Barnes & Noble except they have one of every book instead of 50, so they can fit it all into less square footage. They are a very nice couple too that own the store. You can order any book and itll arrive in about two days so its faster than Amazon.com and you dont have to pay shipping.

So what do you think about my student organization proposal from the other thread. Would you be interested in something like that?