Hotel Sierra

atlrvr

sammyjoey: I can no longer drive past uptown without thinking about your Linnaean classification of the Charlotte skyline. Thank you.

haha

who knows, maybe one day jerry reese will get his way and the charlotte devil rays' and carolina panthers' stadiums will create the stadium family in third ward :whistling:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised the other day when I was riding up South Blvd, that you can see this hotel peaking out into the skyline a little. I didn't think it would have much impact at all since it was 17 stories, but guess I was wrong. Though, I think the tallest building on that side of uptown is The Park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of the matchy matchy look with the arena. It could have made its own architectural statement.

God this goes way beyond matchy-matchy :dunno:

I had no idea the Sierra was going to be like this----to me, this essentially looks like stylistic absurdity. It almost looks like the city owns the arena and the Sierra.

I had no idea the Sierra was going to be like this----to me, this essentially looks like stylistic absurdity. It almost looks like the city owns the arena and the Sierra.

This pic doesn't even show the fact the Sierra uses the same metallic panels as the arena. I'm sure the architect was instructed to use the same exact materials as the arena - but who would have ordered that?

I personally don't have any issue with the look of Hotel Sierra. Actually I may be one of the only here who likes it matching the arena as I think it adds to the overall feeling of the block.

I agree 100 percent. The Hotel Sierra is a very nice looking structure in my opinion compared to some others around with that more "modern" look. I prefer brick to the tin can looking construction seen in some of the cheap looking projects seen downtown like Imaginon,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

good call on the mural. if not an artist-directed piece, you'd think they could at least do something for the Bobcats there.

Definitely also better than the Vue's giant brick wall.

the Vue's wall is intentionally like that so that a future building could be built right next to it. considering that, i thought they did a decent job of making it not so ugly.

good call on the mural. if not an artist-directed piece, you'd think they could at least do something for the Bobcats there.

I'm really hoping that it is Bobcats or at least Arena related. One of the things I have liked about the look of the hotel is how much it does match the arena and adds to the sense of a major arena complex on that block. Normally I would be opposed to that idea on paper, but in this case the lack of anything else there on the east side of the arena is a plus.

A billboard or preferably an electronic billboard sign there would really increase the draw/impression of life on that side of the complex.

• 1 month later...

Its no mural but the west side of the Sierra has a pretty interesting (for Charlotte) vertically oriented sign / logo on the metal section visible in InitialD's first photo above. The building is really becoming a nice addition to the skyline (particularly as you ride in on the blue line).

Sorry about the lack of photo evidence -- I was camera free tonight.

Archived