So we just moved to South Charlotte...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mods may relocate this topic to the relocation thread, however here's a general welcome on behalf of the board.

Did you move within Charlotte or from outside of Charlotte?

If you're a local you're probably aware of Creative Loafing and Charlotte Weekly for more neighborhood/culture centric news - restaurant reviews, concerts, so on. If you're new to Charlotte look for them at your local grocery store.

On your side of town a couple of personal favorites for good cheap eats are Township Grille and Karl Ehmer's Chef's Market. Also check out the Matthews Farmer's Market - couple doors down from Renfrow hardware in the downtown Matthews area - Saturday mornings 7-noon - features food grown within a 50mi radius of the town.

The mods may relocate this topic to the relocation thread, however here's a general welcome on behalf of the board.

Did you move within Charlotte or from outside of Charlotte?

If you're a local you're probably aware of Creative Loafing and Charlotte Weekly for more neighborhood/culture centric news - restaurant reviews, concerts, so on. If you're new to Charlotte look for them at your local grocery store.

On your side of town a couple of personal favorites for good cheap eats are Township Grille and Karl Ehmer's Chef's Market. Also check out the Matthews Farmer's Market - couple doors down from Renfrow hardware in the downtown Matthews area - Saturday mornings 7-noon - features food grown within a 50mi radius of the town.

Welcome to my side of town Spartan! I'm pretty much a native (going on 42 years) but have lived almost exactly where you described your location for 13 years (near the Outback). I can still see all those wooded lots in my head that have been bulldozed but some call that progress I guess.

One of my favorite places to eat is Rusty's Deli at Quail Corners Shopping Center. I'm a burger guy, and they have the BEST bar none, hamburgers in Charlotte. They have lot's of other stuff too and the staff is incredible and alert to your needs. You might even run into John Kasay or Dan Morgan from our beloved Panthers. They eat there occasionally.

I also prefer the Harris Teeter there as opposed to the Food Lion that is much closer to my home. I do run in to the FL every now in then if it's not deli stuff I need.

I haven't tried the Pier 51 seafood place yet at McMullen Creek Market but with the recent seafood scandal going on, I doubt it will be anytime soon. I thought I'd mention it though since you say you like seafood.

Also in McMullen Creek Market is a little Chinese restaurant called Quik Wok. Everybody has their opinions on Chinese food and I am not exempt. There are some bad Chinese restaurants on this side of town, but for the money, I like Quik Wok. Great Sa Cha Chicken & Lo Mein. Down the road a half mile is Carmel Commons Shopping Center. One of the older s/c on this side of town. The Great Wall of China is my favorite Chinese food place there. Very consistent and great staff. Also, the Tin Tin Chinese Buffet is extremely popular. I live a stones throw away but have never been mainly because it is always so crowded and hard to find a parking place.

I've never eaten at Wan Fu, beside the Outback Steakhouse, but they ALWAYS have a crowd there. I use to think it was a Mafia hangout, LOL.

Also, Lowe's (hardware) is pretty good over at McMullen Creek. Ten times better than the Home-I can't get service-Depot at the Centrum (across from Carolina Place Mall).

Well, I'm gonna end here. I may jump in if you have anything specific you need to know. Or you can send me an PM.

Welcome!

In your area:

- I love the wings at d. d. Peckers (bar) on Park Rd.

- Mio Posto has pretty good non-commercial Italian food

- Bangkok Ocha for good Thai

- Head up Carmel Rd to Mellow Mushroom for good pizza and a great beer selection

- The Waldhorn (mentioned up-thread) is fabulous authentic German with a good selection of German beer

- Oh wait, you said you're not big on going out

If you're new to Charlotte, then outside your area you'll want to know/do:

- The Farmers Market on Yorkmont near 77&Woodlawn

- Brawley's Beverage just south of Park&Woodlawn for perhaps the best beer selection in town

- Lowe's Foods at Providence and 485 has the best grocery store beer selection I've seen

- Take a picnic basket and a frisbee for a round of frisbee golf at the Winthrop campus in Rock Hill, or at Reedy Creek

- For excellent seafood, go about 3.5 hours east to Oak Island and have the guys at Haag & Sons cut you off a fresh sword or tuna steak to grill, along with some fresh local shrimp boiled up in Swamp Fire. Mmmmmm.

- Go uptown and walk around

- Suburban retail centers to check out, just to see what's there: Stonecrest at Rea & 485, Arboretum at Pineville-Matthews (every just calls it "51") & Providence, Prominade at 485 & Providence, South Park Mall area, Ballantyne just south of 485 at Johnston.

- Minor League baseball (Charlotte Knights) just off 77 just into South Carolina. Great cheap outing.

- So much more.

Spartan - I live right near you. At the Arboretum (at Providence & 51), there are some pretty good restaurants. Of note: Mickey and Mooch (an upscale place, I think it has a variety of items), there's also a Qdoba, Acropolis Cafe, a few Chinese/Japanese places, a good pizza place, Avanti for Italian, and several others. At the Promenade (Providence and Ballantyne Commons/McKee) there are many chain restaurants, including Macaroni Grill, On the Border, Sushi 101, a BBQ place, Wolfgang Puck Express, and others. Welcome to sprawlsville! :)

Archived