Fayetteville Crime

My wife had the window smashed and door damaged on our 2007 Denali this morning when her diaper bag containing wallet was stolen from the vehicle. It was parked right outside the door of the Washington Regional Center for Exercise on Woolsey at 7:00 a.m. Turns out this already happened three or four times this week! She is pretty upset and it ruined our day dealing with the aftermath.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to hear that- absolutely sucks. And you are right- it's easy to get a false sense of security in our little "paradise". Random crimes of opportunity will happen in the most unlikely places. It's a good wakeup call for everybody to watch out. And I hope there is some security added at that area.

Does anyone have the numbers on the amount of crimes in Fayetteville? I would guess they have stedily risen over the past years due to the rising population. There seems to have been more murders over the past 2-3 years, I can think of 5 or 6 just in Fayetteville that I can remember.

The police tend to believe the best way to fight property crime is for people to take precautionary measures to reduce the likelihood of being victimized in a property crime. There just isn't enough money or manpower to pursue property crime cases when we need to more worried about violent crimes and illicit drugs. It's also unfortunate that we all tend to take for granted that NWA is a relatively safe place, which it is as far as life threatening crimes are the concern.

I wouldn't say that crime is going up in Fayetteville because you were victimized. You just happened to be one of the thousands of people in any city across the country that fell victim to one of the most common crimes reported. It can and likely will happen to every one of us on this forum and we should learn from your experience by taking that extra measure to protect our property.

Sorry to hear about that. For a city the size of Fayetteville, we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country, and the police have a high rate of solving these things, but these things do happen. Always lock your personal stuff in the truck, don't leave any packages, purses, wallets, cell phones, etc., in view. Again sorry for the loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Take it from me, it's a real shame when you don't want to go out to eat at your favorite restaurant after a certain time in the evening for fear of being mugged or the establishment being robbed. When the business is hit twice in a week, and many other times throughout the Spring/Summer, you feel completely unsafe and might even question going there during hours of daylight. Six in the evening, this time of year, is still very much "daytime"... it's still fairly bright out. I had to stop in Advance Auto Parts over here by my office when I got off work last night, only to find that it had been robbed literally minutes before. Had I walked in 10 minutes earlier I likely would have been a victim. Or imagine being in line at Kroger when the bank branch inside the store is robbed. That didn't happen to me, but it did happen to a number of unfortunate people yesterday who were just minding their own business and doing their shopping. Could have been my wife... when we lived in this area a couple years back she often shopped at that Kroger store. Given all this crime, you'd think I lived in fear constantly... but it's quite the opposite... I feel safe most of the time. With the major exception being not wanting to go out and dine at certain establishments that I just feel are too risky given their surroundings.

You guys are still very lucky, and from personal experience I attribute your recent crimes to the Summer season. Around here, Summertime and the holiday season are the two times each year you can expect a real surge in crime, particularly shootings and homicides in the Summer and armed robberies around the holidays.

There were two police chases, multiple shootings, and several armed robberies in my region over the past 24 hours... in a metro very similar to yours in population. I really do consider you guys very lucky. For all the cities in your metropolitan area with sizable populations, for there to be 1-2 major crimes per day somewhere in the metro area would actually not be bad at all. With over 400,000 people, if a handful of people are victimized by crime in one day, the odds are still very much in your favor that you will not be one of them. In this case it just happened to be a member of this forum who it happened to (and by the way, mzweig, I'm sorry that happened to your family.) Just count your blessings... you live in one of those regions, much like Champaign, IL, where I would consider moving just for the low crime rate and the overall feeling of security. Even though I feel safe here most of the time, I don't think I'd ever feel unsafe somewhere like that where such crimes are extremely isolated and not occurring all over the city. I do understand that it's all relative, though, and you're just simply not used to such things happening.

Hope I'm not out of line throwing my 2 cents in on this subject. It's just a perspective from an outsider who grew up around the criminal element and has lived all his life in a region where such crimes are unfortunately just a way of life. Lots of people from Little Rock could also relate, I'm sure.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, we do have it good. Heck, though, crime was even much more rare up here just a decade ago. Its sad to me that crime is inching up, even just a bit.

Fayetteville used to be one of those towns where you felt you could walk just about anywhere, any time of night. Its definitely changing in that regard.

Price of progress, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was just a matter of time. As our metro continues to grow crime is going to grow along with it. What I hope is that people quit taking it for granted. Speaking as someone who grew up in a much poorer rougher part of the state, I think a lot of people leave themselves open to potential crime. Many of my friends up here don't even think about locking their vehicles and such. I have worried that eventually some people will start trying to take advantage of the situation up here.

Archived