Urban Region Population

architect77

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its an interesting figure, but I fail to see why its relevant. None of those other cities consider themselves a part of Charlotte, nor would any statistician... other than being in the same state. They are neighbors, and certainly related in some fashion due to that proximity. Other than that, what is the relevance here?

Its an interesting figure, but I fail to see why its relevant. None of those other cities consider themselves a part of Charlotte, nor would any statistician... other than being in the same state. They are neighbors, and certainly related in some fashion due to that proximity. Other than that, what is the relevance here?

Sports are obviously more complicated, but South Carolinians support the Atlanta Braves most frequently, so its not a stretch to say they would support the Charlotte ____. For example, the Charlotte Hornets were pretty big in their day. Obviously a "Carolina" name would just mean that much more support from SC.

Even though the Charlotte Bobcats aren't the "Carolina Bobcats," it's obvious they attempt to include SC in its overall fanbase. Examples include the two big glass walls inside the arena depicting the states of NC and SC and their cities, the exhibition game in Columbia at the Colonial Center last year, last year's "Carolinas Caravan" that traversed both states, and the Third Annual Cool School Field Trip back in October that had over 17,000 students and teachers from over 43 cities in North and South Carolina in attendance for a game vs. the Wizards.

If Richmond could apply the 100-mile radius, it would have upward of 6 million - covering most of NOVA and all of Hampton Roads. :) It would be more likely DC Metro would include Richmond in its 100-mile radius, just as Atlanta would swallow Metro Birmingham. IMO, it's better to confine populations to a Federal Statistical census figure which determines areas that primarily trade in a given metropolis. For instance, I bet it could be argued that the Greenville/Spartanburg area is in Charlotte's Statistical district.

When I started this thread, it wasn't my intention to glorify this bit of trivia or give it any importance whatsoever. Also it's not really specific to Charlotte either. It does reveal however that the Tarheel State is one of the most populated areas in the country, despite having more Mayberries than metropolises.

All this ranking really means is that within a 100 mile radius circle, the areas with the highest population in the country are NY,LA,CHI,PHILA,?,PIEDMONT NC/SC.

Charlotte just happens to be near the center of this phoenomenon. The circle's tangents are Greenville/Spart.,the Triad, Columbia,Asheville. The ranking is nothing more than the result of several smaller metros that happen to be relatively close together.

But why don't these cities rank better than PIEDMONT NC/SC?

1) Dallas/Ft. Worth 5-6million ...... less than Pied/NC/SC's 7 million

2) Atlanta 5.2million....(Birmingham 152 miles away-not in radius)

3) Houston 5million.......less

4) Miami or Orlando......Florida's population is linear...100mile radius at any point in FL won't have more than 7million

5) DC...maybe DC/BLT almost at 7million.

6) Detroit.....6million

7) Boston....6million

If anyone is curious about another city or region, I used this site to get mileage.

http://www.geobytes.com/CityDistanceTool.htm

And remember we're talking strictly about the population within a 100 mile radius circle. If DC was 90 miles from Richmond, only the part of DC within the 100mile radius would be counted, not all of the DC metro.

Now I feel stupid for spending so much time on this. NC....the 21st century's Empire State.

Sports are obviously more complicated, but South Carolinians support the Atlanta Braves most frequently, so its not a stretch to say they would support the Charlotte ____. For example, the Charlotte Hornets were pretty big in their day. Obviously a "Carolina" name would just mean that much more support from SC.

Over the years Charlotte has been known as the center of either the 5th or 6th largest urban region in the United States. In other words, more than 6 million people lived within a 100 miles radius of Charlotte.(And that was in the early 90's) Does anyone know how it ranks now?

This extraordinary statistic is easy to understand: When you do a 100 mile sweep in all directions, you would get CLT's 2,000,000, the Triad's 1,500,000, Greenville/Spartbg's 1,000,000+, Columbia's 500k+, etc.

How does it rank today?

1) NY Metropolitan area 21,500,000

2) LA, Riverside, Inland Empire 18,000,000

3) Chicago 9,000,000

4) Philadelphia 7,500,000

5) Bay Area, CA 7,000,000+

6) Washington/Baltimore 6,000,000

This reaffirms the I-85 Corridor's designation as the hottest stretch of interstate for industry and business also.

Again, this bit of trivia is just that; a bit of trivia, however there is obviously a difference between an isolated metropolitan area and those within a megalopolis like the Northeast Corridor.

This site is named UrbanPlanet isn't it? I would think discussions on demographics would be welcomed.

Also the US Census predicts that North Carolina will be the 7th most populous state in 2030 with 12,227,739 residents. And I believe in their accuracy. Back in 1990 they predicted that Georgia would replace NC as the 10th most populous state in 2000, and they were correct. Actually Georgia ranked 9th, NJ 10th, and NC 11th, however NC took back the 10th position again last year.

Archived