Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

All of what? We are talking about perceptions in regards to laws that draw attention to this area. Perceptions are perceptions.   However, I agree that the topic would fit cozily in "N.C. Civil rights."

Sorry, I apologise, that was a very hastily written post. What I meant by "all that" was your post and the reply under it. But, I agree that this goes in the "NC Civil Rights" thread. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, KJHburg said:

Just back from a trip to Raleigh area and though often compared with Charlotte in many ways the 2 cities are very different as most of your know. Raleigh is much more suburban and as I posted in their Urbanplanet they have more high rises in the suburbs than Charlotte does. But we have them were it counts downtown. Downtown Raleigh is very small basically 5 by 2 blocks. They have 3 buildings over 400 feet tall versus 13 with 2 more under construction in uptown Charlotte. Their percentage of office space in the suburbs is much higher than ours. In Raleigh 17 and 18 story office buildings are being built in the suburbs along their original Beltline. All and all very interesting and their city is booming like ours. Lots of apartments being built everywhere including close to downtown and traffic everywhere. Of course the economies are very different. Raleigh feels like an endless suburb even more so than Charlotte. 

Charlotte airport office park (sub market) over 13,333,543 sq. ft.  is larger than any office park sub Market) in Wake County as being  Cary the  Largest at 11,981,433 sq. ft.   Charlotte also have more sub markets 11 that Raleigh 6, 7 if you count Cary..  Not at the present any tall buildings out side uptown.  Wake county just over 35.2  million sq. feet of office space compare to Charlotte 68.5 million sq. ft.  Up town Charlotte office market  is larger than   RTP ,  or  Durham County and Orange County together.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 2

Wake county is 57% larger than Mecklenburg, by area. The distance from Fayetteville to Raleigh is just a bit more than the north to the south axis of Wake County. And Rocky Mount and Wilson are closer to Raleigh than that. Remember this when considering statistical area, metropolitan area, zoning reach and development.

Wake County controls a far larger development area then Meck BoCC

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Welp the riots and shooting have made national news. Media being terribly irresponsible with their reporting. Well this is a bummer

Hopefully this will all blow over pretty quick.  Wild night.  You know crap's wild when the Walmart gets looted and 85 has fires set on it.

Poor Ely got a taste of tear gas last night. What the hell was he doing in that mess?!

Also, I may be a little bias here, but I think Adam Rhew from

Charlotte Magazine has a damn good shot at a Pulitzer for this photo last night.  Incredible.

image.png

Edited by ah59396
Photo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

Hopefully this will all blow over pretty quick.  Wild night.  You know crap's wild when the Walmart gets looted and 85 has fires set on it.

Poor Ely got a taste of tear gas last night. What the hell was he doing in that mess?!

Also, I may be a little bias here, but I think Adam Rhew from

Charlotte Magazine has a damn good shot at a Pulitzer for this photo last night.  Incredible.

image.png

Yeah, he is gonna win something for that. Amazing shot.

Also, it's headline national news this AM, but bottom line is the nation is desensitized to these stories. It'll be out of the cycle very quickly, by tomorrow likely. Especially with NYC bombings and Bradgelina divorce going on. 

What I don't understand is how black people think it is going to  help their cause looting and setting fires and throwing things at cops. I understand there were A LOT of people there last night calling for peace, but the bottom line is there wasn't. Helps no one, ESPECIALLY those who are supposedly "protesting" 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah, he is gonna win something for that. Amazing shot.

Also, it's headline national news this AM, but bottom line is the nation is desensitized to these stories. It'll be out of the cycle very quickly, by tomorrow likely. Especially with NYC bombings and Bradgelina divorce going on. 

What I don't understand is how black people think it is going to  help their cause looting and setting fires and throwing things at cops. I understand there were A LOT of people there last night calling for peace, but the bottom line is there wasn't. Helps no one, ESPECIALLY those who are supposedly "protesting" 

To be fair, it's not "black people" that think this is going to help.  There are rotten people in every group.  There are 300,000 black people in Charlotte and there were about 100 involved in the worst aspect of last night.  Plenty of white people were setting cop cars on fire and vandalizing stores after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup in Vancouver back in 2011.  Didn't mean white people supported it. 

I know you didn't mean it that way, but there are rotten apples every where.

Except for Steelers fans.  They are all awful.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

LOL Correct.

And yes, that isn't entirely what I meant. But put it in context. The protest was initiated by black people for the unjust things happening in America right now. 100% valid. But then the situation devolved like it unfortunately so often does and essentially gave those bad apples an excuse to riot. I understand those people who set fires, threw things at cops and looted Walmart likely don't care about social change because they are the bad apples they are. But there has to be some practicality applied. There has to be some kind of "hmmm, maybe NOT setting fires and looting is the way to get racist white people to not be racist." 

In other news, its really fantastic that our gov signed a law that prevents the release of body cam footage. Great "common sense" Pat *sarcasm*

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Welp the riots and shooting have made national news. Media being terribly irresponsible with their reporting. Well this is a bummer

In what way is the media being irresponsible? Which outlets?

I noticed Andrew Dunn in the agenda this morning highlighted the fact that the victim was black in his headline, but failed to report the officer that shot Scott was also black. To me that's irresponsible. 

NPR did a much better job at laying out the story:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/21/494844130/after-police-shooting-protesters-in-charlotte-n-c-shut-down-interstate

Maybe have Andrew take a read of some of these stories for pointers. Unless of course the agenda is more about headline grabbing and clickbait. 

43 minutes ago, The Force Sleeps said:

In what way is the media being irresponsible? Which outlets?

I noticed Andrew Dunn in the agenda this morning highlighted the fact that the victim was black in his headline, but failed to report the officer that shot Scott was also black. To me that's irresponsible. 

NPR did a much better job at laying out the story:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/21/494844130/after-police-shooting-protesters-in-charlotte-n-c-shut-down-interstate

Maybe have Andrew take a read of some of these stories for pointers. Unless of course the agenda is more about headline grabbing and clickbait. 

Huh? The agenda article says the cop is black

You guys are smarter than this. Peaceful protests get no real media attention so the only way to make the country safe for all its citizens is to have a dramatic enough protest to get people's attention. Otherwise the masses just shrug and move on (eg the collection of the 'it will blow over" remarks above). 

I certainly don't want to see anybody get hurt, but IMO I don't think what happened last night (the protest) was inappropriate given what happened to precipitate it (the shooting).

Edit: why aren't we having this discussion in the Civil Rights thread?

Edited by kermit

All I will say is that when I heard what had happened in my home town of all places, I got passionately, righteously, and indignantly angry. I know intellectually that reacting from those feelings may not be productive, but this kind of tragedy, no matter who's responsible, will tear a person's sense of right and wrong apart. I feel sadness for the victims, and I feel sadness for many of the officers who kill them. This Charlotte officer is a 26 years old African-American man with a track record of caring about under-served communities. There's no way he slept a wink last night. I don't know what to do, I just know I'm sick of tragedy after tragedy occurring, and knowing that there are people who feel none of it matters. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

26 minutes ago, kermit said:

You guys are smarter than this. Peaceful protests get no real media attention so the only way to make the country safe for all its citizens is to have a dramatic enough protest to get people's attention. Otherwise the masses just shrug and move on (eg the collection of the 'it will blow over" remarks above). 

I certainly don't want to see anybody get hurt, but IMO I don't think what happened last night was inappropriate given what happened to precipitate it.

Edit: why aren't we having this discussion in the Civil Rights thread?

Tell me how you feel after walking home on a late night in Uptown and you get a gun pulled on you after a BLM protest and the person yells BLM, laughs, and rolls off. It's not an encouraging feeling.

Edited by ES Charlotte

From a perception perspective, this isn't going to die out soon. Maybe 6+ months from now, but this year Charlotte will be remembered for a place of social unrest from HB2 to these riots. This isn't going to get brushed under a rug and there is a lot of competition in the Southeast for re-locating businesses and expanding a workforce. We don't have a strong national brand as a city and what most people know now is we lost the All Star Game and have riots. We have a lot of office buildings coming online...

Edited by CLT2014

25 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

From a perception perspective, this isn't going to die out soon. Maybe 6+ months from now, but this year Charlotte will be remembered for a place of social unrest from HB2 to these riots. This isn't going to get brushed under a rug and there is a lot of competition in the Southeast for re-locating businesses and expanding a workforce. We don't have a strong national brand as a city and what most people know now is we lost the All Star Game and have riots. We have a lot of office buildings coming online...

Anyone still talking about Dallas or Tulsa or Oklahoma or Cleveland or Baltimore? Sure they get a mention when something like this happens again. But they leave the cycle pretty quickly. At least on a national scale. Americans have the attention span of a goldfish. 

Edited by Jayvee

11 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Anyone still talking about Dallas or Tulsa or Oklahoma or Cleveland or Baltimore? Sure they get a mention when something like this happens again. But they leave the cycle pretty quickly. At least on a national scale. Americans have the attention span of a goldfish. 

People might not talk about it daily, but I view all those cities as locations of social unrest and don't have the best opinion of them. If you ask "Do you think positive or negative things about X city" and they had a riot recently people probably go.... "ehhh.... negative"

Edited by CLT2014

11 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Not all of us are awful!  I still shake my head at cars I see all over that have everything Pittsburgh splashed all over it.  Saw one today with flags sticking out of both windows in the back, stickers over the side and back windows and stuff around the license plate.

I love my hometown teams, but don't push it in everyone's face.

9 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I agree. Charlotte (the whole state basically) has been taking L's. Everytime i hear about charlotte it's bad. You guys have no brand as a city. I can't name one thing charlotte is known for besides banks, and that's nothing special. This doesn't look good for companies looking to relocate.

No shade, I like Charlotte. Nice city.

• Like 1