Triad Photo of the Day

krazeeboi

i wasnt trying to be negative, just asking a question. im not sure of the rules for flickr, or any type of ethics dealing with other peoples work. thats all.

dont you think that its kinda funny that a hopeVI development has the best skyline view of downtown? seems like the view, alone, would make this land extremely valuable, and home to upscale homes and townhouses.

in Winston?

^ yea i was responding to DaAchievers last photo.

I was at the ribbon cuting for college park and I spoke with the President of the housing authority about the very same topic. Apparently there was a lot of concern that Winston would do something similar to LA and knock down low-income housing and replace it with something most people in the area couldn't afford. But you're right, it is a great view of downtown!

i wasnt trying to be negative, just asking a question. im not sure of the rules for flickr, or any type of ethics dealing with other peoples work. thats all.

Not trying to pour salt on any open wounds, but I do wish all UP users who post pics other than their own would acknowledge the photographer and also only post if allowed. I feel many people try to post pictures they take themselves and it probably causes some ill will when these posters see pics posted by a user that wasn't taken by said user and proper credit is lacking. Just my 2 cents on that subject...

Now, a Triad pic for the day.... I think most folks can figure the location....

P9040172.jpg

This should help sort out using other people photographic work:

General Copyright Principles

You should follow the principles found in U.S. copyright law:

1) If you didn't create it, or obtain distribution rights, you don't own it or have rights to copy, store, publish, or distribute it.

2) The creator/author/owner must explicitly relinquish rights for an original work (photograph, illustration or other art work) to be placed in the public domain.

3) Fair use allows the copying of small portions of an original work without the owner's permission, but only for evaluation, criticism, education, and news reporting.

4) If you aren't sure, ask for permission.

Also check here for further info: http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3

Edited by coastalmindset

This should help sort out using other people photographic work:

General Copyright Principles

You should follow the principles found in U.S. copyright law:

1) If you didn't create it, or obtain distribution rights, you don't own it or have rights to copy, store, publish, or distribute it.

2) The creator/author/owner must explicitly relinquish rights for an original work (photograph, illustration or other art work) to be placed in the public domain.

3) Fair use allows the copying of small portions of an original work without the owner's permission, but only for evaluation, criticism, education, and news reporting.

4) If you aren't sure, ask for permission.

Also check here for further info: http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3

In the case of Flick.com, people waive their rights and its public domain, unless they choose to have a private gallery or a special note that the photos are copyrighted.

I was at the ribbon cuting for college park and I spoke with the President of the housing authority about the very same topic. Apparently there was a lot of concern that Winston would do something similar to LA and knock down low-income housing and replace it with something most people in the area couldn't afford. But you're right, it is a great view of downtown!

o thats interesting. glad to hear that HAWS is doing a good job of bringing affordable, but nice housing to the city. i really do hope they reach their goal or eradicating all public housing in winston. i think the last one is up in the Liberty st./airport area. if they can bring something similar to college park here, then that would really help clean up this neglected part of the city.

In the case of Flick.com, people waive their rights and its public domain, unless they choose to have a private gallery or a special note that the photos are copyrighted.

Expanding on this, images marked as non-distributable and all rights reserved under the Creative Commons license (what Flickr uses) are indeed copyrighted against any use, even though they are available for public viewing. ONLY when the Creative Commons license says that you are free to use the image in your own private works (non-commercial) are you free to post an image on a public forum such as this.

I will add that it is against our rules to violate copyright of any media on our forums. I will honor the Creative Commons license however that states that an image can be used for private use.

REGARDLESS I believe (and in many instances this is required of the license) that anyone posting images from a place such as Flickr that are not their own should give credit to the originating photographer.

Thats reasonable by giving the person credit...by not allowing people to use such photos kinda opens up a can of worms because I know alot of people post photos on urban planet, not from flickr that are likely copyrighted images. in most cases people dont mind if you post their photos for viewing purposes, but giving the person credit is appropriate.

Edited by cityboi

^^^you have several photos of GSO...and a very nice camera. why dont you just post yours.

matter of fact, i think thats a good idea. why dont this photo of the day thread be dedicated to the user posting THEIR OWN photos. that way we can say, "hey, nice photo cityboi, twincity, DaAchiever etc."

kinda dont like that unless we have a seperate thread for posting photos that are not taken by us but then that gets kinda silly. I say that because there are some pretty nice photos out there on the web and I personally think the "photos of the day" should be posted regardless of who actually took the photos. Besides thats difficult to enforce anyway because most cases you cant prove whether someone took a photo or not. No...lets try to keep things simple. We dont want to have a reputation of being an over restrictive forum. That hurts the growth of urbanplanet and people dont like to feel like they are walking on pins and needles everytime they make a post or post a photo. Like I said, that opens up a can of worms and then you have to restrict the use of photos not taken by members across the board and I know most members wont like that at all. But I will post my own photos when I can. Its just when I happen to see wonderful photos taken by others, I think some make great "photos of the day" and there is nothing wrong with that. The easiest thing to do is to make the person or group known below the photo you post. I think most people can live with that. Just like how we provide sources for other information we post. Sure its more creative to go out and take your own photos and post them here, which I do all the time btw. But people have been posting photos taken by others since this forum started in 2003. There have been no problems with that that I am aware of, so I see no need to change things. As they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Edited by cityboi

But people have been posting photos taken by others since this forum started in 2003. There have been no problems with that that I am aware of, so I see no need to change things. As they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Actually there has. We have been sent legal orders to remove photos from this site in the past. Sometimes it is simply the copyright holder that has gotten angry that someone posted their image(s) without permission but other times it is taken to the extreme and we receive a cease order to stop publishing the photo(s) in the forums.

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes here that users simply aren't aware of. Just because users aren't aware of a problem doesn't mean there hasn't been one. The rules we have (that many feel are too restrictive) are actually there because we have had a run-in(s) with the negative effects of not having that particular rule there.

I know there are many that feel we are too restrictive on this or that but the truth of the matter is that the rules are there to protect us and to protect you. We don't particularly have the money to fight a legal battle thus we simply avoid it up front. It is MUCH easier to restrict the posting of copyrighted material rather than deal with dozens of e-mails each week asking to take a photo or group of photos off of the site. We do not have the resources to deal with it, especially since all staff are volunteering their time to bring all aspects of this site to you.

Yes, allowing the posting of photos but requiring that you abide by copyright law may be opening up a can of worms, but we're giving the benefit of the doubt that you guys aren't law breakers and that you will do the right thing. If you post an image that is copyrighted and strictly prohibited from being posted elsewhere then you are breaking not only our rules but US copyright law. If you post an image that was taken by someone else but have permission to post it here then by all means give credit to the author.

Now back to your regular scheduled program...photo of the day!

It depends, were you on public ground (sidewalk, road, etc.)? If so, the security guard had no business telling you where you could take photos. I recommend every photographer carry one of these:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I can't tell you how many times that piece of paper has saved me from getting questioned.

Anyway, here's a photo I took this evening:

1389167215_5505dbd82f_b.jpg