Met Life is Leaving Hartford

Yankee.Peddler

I was browsing the Courant this afternoon and found this article. Nothing surprising...

MetLife Confirms Move From Hartford

3:55 PM EDT, April 19, 2007

By DIANE LEVICK, The Hartford Courant MetLife Inc. confirmed today that it is buying a Bloomfield office building and moving about 2,000 employees there -- 1,300 of them from Hartford's CityPlace -- in a deal that's a boon to the suburban town but a bust for the city.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-metli...headlines-local

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was browsing the Courant this afternoon and found this article. Nothing surprising...

MetLife Confirms Move From Hartford

3:55 PM EDT, April 19, 2007

By DIANE LEVICK, The Hartford Courant MetLife Inc. confirmed today that it is buying a Bloomfield office building and moving about 2,000 employees there -- 1,300 of them from Hartford's CityPlace -- in a deal that's a boon to the suburban town but a bust for the city.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-metli...headlines-local

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/op_ed/...0,5746792.story

Not Back To The Suburbs!

Young Workers Want To Be In TheThick Of Things, Not An Office Park

April 6, 2007

MATHEW P. JASINSKI

Hartford is likely to lose MetLife to Bloomfield. Given the bottom line, this should come as no surprise. Many MetLife employees may miss downtown's restaurants and CityPlace's view. Some might even wax nostalgic for lunchtime strolls, rather than a drive to some strip-mall sandwich shop. That is if they decide to leave the building at all, what with the selection in the cafeteria. In the end, however, even those few disheartened souls will find solace: free parking.

But time will tell - if it has not already - that the short-term benefit to the bottom line is not worth the long-term cost to the talent pool.

Sorry, Whaler, but you aren't supposed to post entire articles.

I like this quote.

We must realize, however, that many college graduates actually flee Connecticut for costlier places and lower-paying jobs.

This is what we need to realize, it's not about cost, convenience, or job markets that we hemorage young people year after year. It's because CT is boring. Suburbs are boring. Duh. We don't need a study to just wake up and realize this.

NH may have been its benefits, but there are no jobs there. Nada. It's Yale and that's it. Even the Mayor DeStefano has openly said he wished he even 10% of Hartford's corporations.

Companies lost under the Perez administation

MetLife

ING

MassMutual

WFSB

also: Afghan House, TJ Maxx, B. Dalton, etc.

Quite honestly a lot of the decision making for college grads and their after school career has to do with the cost of living. There are numerous graduates from NYC schools who take jobs in Manhattan but also in suburban New Jersey and in both cases decide to live all the way out in the middle of nowhere in PA because its cheaper. If the cost of living in Connecticut is to high students will not stay in the state, if there are jobs in the state but high living costs they will move to the cheapest area which might not be CT's cities downtowns

Quite honestly a lot of the decision making for college grads and their after school career has to do with the cost of living. There are numerous graduates from NYC schools who take jobs in Manhattan but also in suburban New Jersey and in both cases decide to live all the way out in the middle of nowhere in PA because its cheaper. If the cost of living in Connecticut is to high students will not stay in the state, if there are jobs in the state but high living costs they will move to the cheapest area which might not be CT's cities downtowns

• 2 months later...

I just worked in the "South" Building today, and, I must say, it's an awesome building. I talked with someone in the know, and they said parking was the issue, all day long. Metlife didn't want anything from anyone except parking, and this place had it. The Mayor was full of crap saying he made any effort what-so-ever....

I just worked in the "South" Building today, and, I must say, it's an awesome building. I talked with someone in the know, and they said parking was the issue, all day long. Metlife didn't want anything from anyone except parking, and this place had it. The Mayor was full of crap saying he made any effort what-so-ever....

Archived