Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

All the financial business has been ironed out with funding for the new Atlanta Falcons Stadium. Falcons owner Arthur Blank has requested that the new edifice be an Atlanta icon. Enter Kansas City based 360 Architecture. They were recently awarded the honor of designing the new retractable roof stadium. Now that we have all of that out of the way, let the face off begin.

360 Architecture has presented two designs in the preliminary stage that could be the new home for the Atlanta Falcons. You decide which one you prefer.

Option A: The Pantheon of Atlanta

A circular concept with a swirling design of roof panels, opening the full length of a football field. Opening, closing would take five to seven minutes.

Pantheon1%202013-05-01%20at%2010-thumb.j

Pantheon2Screen%20Shot%202013-05-01%20at

Option B: The Solarium

A more traditional, rectangular stadium with two large roof panels that would pull back into wing-like structures. Opening, closing would take less than 12 minutes.

solarium1-thumb.jpg

solarium2-thumb.jpg

solarium3-thumb.jpg

So there you have it: a preliminary look at the two options Atlanta must consider. One is iconic and quite unique in design and the other harkens to Atlanta's past. There's a video presentation of both options. I'm impressed with both. Which one say you? Option A or Option B?  

Option B all the way. I'm not typically a fan of the randomness seen in Option A, and besides, I love being able to see the skyline from Option B. I think B is a better fit for the city of Atlanta while still standing out enough to be instantly recognizable. 

Immovable Media from Youtube is at it again...and in a grand way. 

In his own words:

I toured the entire 2.7 mile Atlanta Streetcar loop on April 26th and file this update today. It would have been sooner but post production took longer than anticipated. I ended up labeling all 12 of the Streetcar stops and all of the major roads & intersections along the way. 

Thank you once again. With his video, he brings to life the complete 2.7 mile route of the street car. I was trying to imagine it in my head and now I have a visual. The video also shows that Atlanta was once a streetcar city. Too bad streetcars were deemed obsolete just after their heyday. With that said, I am glad to see Atlanta among one of the cities enjoying its resurgence as a viable transportation option.

Enjoy the video. 

Entire Streetcar Loop

• Like 1

Here is a slide show of the two competing designs for the new Falcons stadium just west of downtown. 

Enjoy:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/04/30/slideshow-atlanta-falcons-stadium---.html?s=image_gallery

I think the Pantheon design is very avant garde. Along the lines of the Syndey Opera House or even the Eiffel Tower considering the style of architecture for when it was built. It definitely would give Atlanta an instant recognizable landmark. It's quite unique considering other stadiums and domes in the US. I can also understand some people's aversion to this design because it seems that the "eye" or opening is not large enough. Design-wise I give the edge to Pantheon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/04/30/slideshow-atlanta-falcons----solarium.html?s=image_gallery

On the other hand, many football fans are yearning for an open air experience. The Solarium design gives them almost a complete open air experience with the ability to turn into a closed or dome venue. Of course we know that Mr. Blank and the Atlanta Falcons are footing $800 million of the bill and the city of Atlanta is footing the other $200 million. So what Mr. Blank wants, Mr. Blank gets. The Solarium design also will afford patrons the pleasure of sweeping skyline views. My only issue with this design is it reminds me of the Lucas Oil stadium in Indy. For fan open air experience I give the edge to Solarium.

Mr. Blank has said that he wants something iconic yet something that pays homage to Atlanta's past. Since the Superbowl seems to favor domes over stadiums, I'm also curious to see which usage makes the deciding factor. We all know that this stadium will be used for more than Atlanta Falcons football. It has to make financial sense. We shall see which one wins out. I also wonder will the name change from the Georgia Dome to [sponsor's name here] Field. We have Coca~Cola and then there is Delta Airlines...which recently did not renew it's sponsorship of a facility in Milwaukee. It would make sense to change the name since with this new ownership configuration, the State of Georgia is no longer in the mix.  I suppose that time will tell.   

Edited by Lady Celeste

• 1 month later...

Oh wow...who would have expected this to happen?

Just steps from Centennial Olympic Park, the City of Atlanta plans to spend up to $771,000 to remodel space for an art gallery in the city's office building that once housed the Atlanta Journal/Constitution. This was kept quiet but is a much needed shot in the arm for the burgeoning tourist area that surrounds Centennial Olympic Park.

Marietta-Street-City-Gallery-300x252.jpg

Why make a rendering with it raining? 

The planned exhibit space will encompass 3,400 square feet and provide two galleries accessible through one entry, according to Camille Russell Love, who heads the city’s cultural affairs programs and who presented the plan Tuesday to the Atlanta City Council’s Community Development Committee. The design for the project was produced by Stanley, Beaman & Sears and includes a nine-story scuptural element along the south corner of the building, facing Marietta Street. Inside will be one gallery with natural light, and a second gallery with artificial light that’s planned to host digital art, video and other light-sensitive projects, according to the city’s announcement in August 2012. 
  • Like 1

It's now official...

Coca~Cola has officially announced that the company will relocated 2000 suburban workers to Downtown Atlanta from the Wildwood complex in Cobb County. Oddly enough, Cobb County officials lauded the decision and one said "a healthy core of Atlanta is vital to the metro area as a whole". Regional cooperation is so terribly vital. Coca~Cola has always been such a community oriented corporate citizen. Now they all can take MARTA to work.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/06/downtown-lands-coca-cola-it-center.html 

The Downtown submarket is starting to heat up now...

Downtown office tower may become apartments.

Downtown%201jv%20fade.jpg?v=1

250 Piedmont Avenue.

A developer is eyeing the conversion of a vacant 20-story downtown office building to high-rise apartments.

Atlanta-based Paces Properties LLC has put 250 Piedmont Ave. under contract, according to commercial real estate executives with knowledge of the plan.

Paces, led by CEO David Cochran, could not comment. The final negotiations and design of the project are expected to unfold over the next several weeks, sources said.

Article found here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/06/14/downtown-office-tower-may-become.html

This may make some unhappy but it appears that the iconic Pantheon design has won out for the new Atlanta Falcons Stadium. Between the two I actually liked it better. It's more unique and breaks the mold of Atlanta's normally conservative architecture. The design has been tweaked to address some issues expressed when the design was initially unveiled like 1) the "eye" not opening enough and 2) the design not utilizing Atlanta's skyline as an identifying backdrop. 

falcons-pantheon-new-side-view*304.png

More pictures here for those who are interested: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/

This may make some unhappy but it appears that the iconic Pantheon design has won out for the new Atlanta Falcons Stadium. Between the two I actually liked it better. It's more unique and breaks the mold of Atlanta's normally conservative architecture. The design has been tweaked to address some issues expressed when the design was initially unveiled like 1) the "eye" not opening enough and 2) the design not utilizing Atlanta's skyline as an identifying backdrop. 

falcons-pantheon-new-side-view*304.png

More pictures here for those who are interested: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/

I was really hoping the Solarium design would be chosen; I personally think it went better with Atlanta than the Pantheon (while still being much more innovative than conservative). I certainly don't mind an avant-garde design, but the specific design of the Pantheon just wasn't pleasing to me, and I don't think the roof opens up nearly enough. On the interior, it doesn't seem different enough from the Georgia Dome.

Then again, I was against the construction of a new stadium from the start. The Dome is only turning 21 years old this year, which by no means is old enough to warrant replacement. Not only that, but it underwent renovations just five/six years ago. Plenty of teams still use stadiums built in the 1960s and 1970s and are perfectly fine with them, so why should a stadium built in the 1990s be replaced so soon?

While I am definitely not for the new stadium getting built, I really like this design the best.  I think it helps add some pizazz to the Atlanta skyline (even though its not a highrise).  I am disappointed that my graduation hall will be demolished though.  The other design looks too "college"-ey to me.  It is also boring and conservative in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Centennial Olympic Park

Skyview Atlanta...the really big ferris wheel on Centennial Park is now officially open. With Atlanta hosting 40.4 million tourist last year (http://www.successfulmeetings.com/Destinations/Meetings-South/Articles/Atlanta-Attracted-Record-Number-of-Visitors-in-2012/), I'm sure this is bound to please some of the many visitors to the Downtown district.  

See it here: http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/22837690/new-skyview-ferris-wheel-to-open-tuesday

Zoo Atlanta

Also, in other warm and fuzzy news, Zoo Atlanta's panda Lun Lun gave birth last evening to the United States' first twin panda babies since 1987! Awwwwww!!! Congratulations to mother Lun Lun, papa Yang Yang, Zoo Atlanta and the City of Atlanta. Everyone loves panda babies. They are so adorable. I am sure that visits to the zoo should skyrocket in a few months. In 2012 Zoo Atlanta had 866,000 visitors so this should definitely help.  

See the babies here: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/16/us/panda-twins-born/index.html

I am on pins and needles as I wait for more exciting news of the College Football Hall of Fame, currently under construction, on the south end of Centennial Park. Also, construction continues on the National Museum of Civil and Human Rights on the north end of the park. There's just so much to do. 

Coke campus revamp ready to ramp up!

Atlanta's most iconic company plans to revamp its 26 story North Avenue headquarters tower and the surrounding campus. It was previously announced but now the company is moving forward with the modernization.

The project would take shape over the next several years. The first phase includes the modernization of the 26-story North Avenue Tower with the company’s logo — a familiar sight on the Atlanta skyline for more than 30 years.

More found here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/07/19/coke-campus-revamp-ready-to-ramp-up.html

07.19%20Coke%20Exterior%20Image%20RGB*30

In interesting intown transit and sports news...

The Atlanta Braves pitch a maglev train to Turner Field. 

The Braves are partnering with a private company to build a maglev train from MARTA's Georgia State University Station to Turner Field as a way to improve accessibility. How can one NOT like this proposal? This would also bode well for the plan redevelopment of the area around Turner Field. This is VERY forward thinking on the part of the Braves...whose lease on Turner Field is up for by December 31, 2016. If I was a betting woman...which I am not...I would say that it's safe to say the Braves will get their extension on very favorable terms.   

Here is the proposed route. 

bsdv.jpg  

Announcement found in the Atlanta Business Chronicle: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/07/26/braves-pitch-maglev-train-to-turner.html

Also in sports development news....

It appears that the negotiations for the south site necessary for the Falcon's new retractable stadium may be on again. Great news as this location is accessible by two MARTA stations. The deadline to make a decision on the north site (Northside Dr. @ Ivan Allen Blvd) or the south site (Northside Dr. @ ML King Jr. Dr.) is August 1st. A decision has to be made to insure that the new stadium will be ready for the 2017 football season.

Read about ongoing negotiations here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/07/25/friendship-baptist-church-may-have.html   

Wow, a private maglev train to Turner Field? As you said, there's nothing to dislike about this. And that area could certainly use a shot in the arm as far as development goes.

And I thought for sure the south site for the new Falcons Stadium was a no-go, but it looks like it could happen. Interesting to see how this unfolds.

The on-again, off-again negotiations between the two churches and the Atlanta Falcon, the State of Georgia and the City of Atlanta have become so annoying. Apparently the negotiations are off again regarding the south site. I'm pretty much over it at this point. Wherever it is built at this point, I am fine with it. I'm just glad that it's not out in the suburbs.

Now on to construction videos....courtesy of our very own Immovable_Media!

On the southern end of Centennial Olympic Park.

College Football Hall Of Famehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFceJ8kww8
The site is roaring with activity! 

On the northern end of Centennial Olympic Park.

National Center for Civil & Human Rights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkpcNw8sr88
Crews are up to what appears to be the 2nd or 3rd floor. The unique curvatures of the building can already be seen.

And on the amusement for young and old:

I've been video documenting the progress on the ATL Streetcar. SO FAR I've created two construction updates one from April 30th, and the other from July 30th. Lots of progress made over the last 8 weeks! :ok:

Thanks for watching! Don't forget to Like, Favorite, and SUBSCRIBE!!!! Feel free to spread these videos around!

Apri 2013                   

July 2013

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel planned near the Georgia Aquarium.

A new seven story hotel has been proposed near the Georgia Aquarium. Plans were filed with the city on August 7th.  The seven story Hyatt House will be catty-corner to the aquarium at Ivan Allen Blvd and Luckie Street. The hotel will have 150 rooms, a restaurant and meeting space. It would be the state's second Hyatt House. According to those close to the proposal, the flag is not a done deal yet.

With the new attractions in the area, as well as existing attractions, I think an extended stay hotel will do extremely well. Oddly enough, this hotel would be a few blocks away from the new Falcon's retractable roof stadium if the north site is finally chosen. It is also a short walk to the Coca~Cola world headquarters. I am assuming that it will only be seven stories as to not block the views when the roof is open. Either way, this is great news for that part of downtown.  

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/08/14/hotel-planned-near-georgia-aquarium.html     

Remodeled Sun Dial Restaurant Reopens! 

I forgot to mention above that the Sun Dial restaurant atop the Westin has reopened. After the a $1.3 million dollar renovation, the restaurant hopes to once again dazzle with its stellar views 723 feet above Atlanta. I was taken here for prom dinner as a sophomore so I have many fond (and wholesome) memories of this place. 

sun-dial-bs7*304.jpg

More stellar photos here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/08/13/remodeled-sun-dial-restaurant-opens.html?s=image_gallery

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be outdone by Perimeter Center, Buckhead and Midtown Districts:

There is yet another hotel announcement for the Downtown District. This announcement is on top of the recently announced hotel planned for Ivan Allen Blvd @ Luckie St across from the Georgia Aquarium. This hotel will be a 129-room Homewood Suites by Hilton and will front Marietta St across from STATS restaurant and the College Football Hall of Fame (currently under construction). Below is a rendering of the new hotel.  

hilton-image_1-thumb.jpg

The less open lots we have in the entertainment/tourist district the better. This is a very short stroll to the park, CNN Center, Philips Arena, the GA Aquarium, the Ferris Wheel and all of the upcoming attractions in the area. Although the other districts of town are more awash in development news, there is really a great deal of development going on Downtown. The 18 story student residential tower geared towards GA State Univ. students is currently rising. Also, as mentioned earlier, the College Football Hall of Fame and the National Museum of Civil and Human Rights are under construction on either side of the downtown jewel known as Centennial Olympic Park.

We also can not forget the proposals like the 350,000 sq foot mixed used building planned at 285 Marietta St across from the CFHoF or the new retractable roof stadium for the Atlanta Falcons. Now it is only a matter of time before Novare Group or Post Apartments announce an apartment building for the district. 

Meanwhile in Downtown....

Georgia State University breaks ground tomorrow, September 12th, on its new Law Building.

Exterior6-thumb.png

The sustainable building will take shape at the corner of John Wesley Dobbs Avenue and Park Place, basically in the shadow of the stair-stepped Georgia-Pacific tower. Officials expect classrooms to open for the fall semester in 2015.

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-11%20at%2011.13.

This will be a great addition to that part of Downtown.  

Not to be outdone by Perimeter Center, Buckhead and Midtown Districts:

There is yet another hotel announcement for the Downtown District. This announcement is on top of the recently announced hotel planned for Ivan Allen Blvd @ Luckie St across from the Georgia Aquarium. This hotel will be a 129-room Homewood Suites by Hilton and will front Marietta St across from STATS restaurant and the College Football Hall of Fame (currently under construction). Below is a rendering of the new hotel.  

hilton-image_1-thumb.jpg

By the way LC, that rendering is of the existing Hilton Garden Inn next to the aquarium.  The new project, Homewood Suites, will "bookend" the parking structure that is attached to the HGI.

14o6.png

Edited by Martinman

Meanwhile in Downtown....

Georgia State University breaks ground tomorrow, September 12th, on its new Law Building.

Exterior6-thumb.png

The sustainable building will take shape at the corner of John Wesley Dobbs Avenue and Park Place, basically in the shadow of the stair-stepped Georgia-Pacific tower. Officials expect classrooms to open for the fall semester in 2015.

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-11%20at%2011.13.

This will be a great addition to that part of Downtown.  

That looks quite nice.

Man, if it weren't for GSU, there would hardly be any new construction happening downtown.