NFL Punishment

ampm

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

If Jones actually follows up on his priority changes once his one year ban is complete, I see no reason to not let him play again. The one year punishment is enough...if he learns his lesson. Chris Henry better be glad he didn't get himself in any more trouble. These two need to learn from Rae Carruth, doing 20 for killing his girlfriend.

If Jones actually follows up on his priority changes once his one year ban is complete, I see no reason to not let him play again. The one year punishment is enough...if he learns his lesson. Chris Henry better be glad he didn't get himself in any more trouble. These two need to learn from Rae Carruth, doing 20 for killing his girlfriend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ Yep, that's all it would take. Very simple: commit a crime, lose your contract. Done. Finito.

Nobody would miss Pacman Jones if he were kicked out of the league, especially not if his team got a free pass on his salary cap impact. These men are professional athletes, meaning they should be expected to act professionally. More to the point, they should be held to the same standard of accountability that other professionals -- lawyers, for example -- are held to. Screw up, and you're done. Period.

It'd be a crime-free league practically overnight, and I doubt you'd hear a single complaint from the players who are actually living right.

^ Yep, that's all it would take. Very simple: commit a crime, lose your contract. Done. Finito.

Nobody would miss Pacman Jones if he were kicked out of the league, especially not if his team got a free pass on his salary cap impact. These men are professional athletes, meaning they should be expected to act professionally. More to the point, they should be held to the same standard of accountability that other professionals -- lawyers, for example -- are held to. Screw up, and you're done. Period.

It'd be a crime-free league practically overnight, and I doubt you'd hear a single complaint from the players who are actually living right.

I agree if a zero-tolerance policy were enacted, many players would get their mind right especially if it meant their contracts would be terminated. This would bring order into pro sports with the quickness. At the same time, many of these athletes grow up in tough neighborhoods so they don't know right from wrong and for them, athletics is a way out of the ghetto. It's hard to do right when you come up in an environment where wrongdoing prevails. They bring the streets into the league and when they mess up, often it's attributed to their upbringing. For some athletes, they mess up one time and learn their lesson because they know what will happen if they don't straighten up. For others, they repeatedly foul up until they mess up so bad that their careers are at stake and eventually wake up. Other athletes are a lost cause, you give them chance after chance but eventually you stop because they don't care enough to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived