County Metro Population Figures 2006!

Here are the county/municipio estimates as of July 2006 for Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico.

Hawaii

125px-Flag_of_Hawaii.svg.png

M166899322.GIF

--Honolulu figures are sometimes harder to gauge because there is a lot of military families that go in and out of the state annually but regardless its still loosing quite a bit of people domestically most either moving to other islands for cheaper housing like the Big Island or the US Mainland. However, the foreign born population continues to grow and are replacing the domestic out-migrants. I can't wait to see the 2010 Census to see just how much of the population they make up, i'm sure it will be quite significant.

IMMIGRANTS SETTLE IN

Source: Honolulu Advertiser

Although a number of residents left Hawai'i for jobs elsewhere, that loss was offset by migration from people from foreign countries.

The census said 9,275 people left the state from April 1, 2000, to July 1, 2006. However, 31,092 new residents moved here from other countries. That made the net gain from domestic and foreign migration combined 21,817 residents, or an average of 3,650 per year.

Most of the state's population gain over the six-year period was due to a natural increase of 56,251 babies, or an average of 9,400 births per year.

Honolulu was the only county to suffer a net loss in migration. It also was the only county to gain more of its population from a natural increase.

From July 1, 2005, to July 1, 2006, Hawai'i County's population increased by 4,730 residents, while O'ahu added 5,218 people, Maui 1,633 and Kaua'i 639.

Of the 6,720 residents who moved here from foreign counties during the year, 5,535 settled in Honolulu.

The census estimates also document a greater dispersal of the state's population, which likely will provide the Neighbor Islands with greater political and economic clout in the years to come.

In 1990, Honolulu was home to 75.3 percent of the state's population. By July 2006, Honolulu's share of residents had dropped to 70.8 percent.

Hawai'i's oft-forgotten fifth county is Kalawao, consisting of the Hansen's disease settlement on Kalaupapa, Moloka'i. The Census data estimate a decline in the Kalawao County population from 147 in April 2000 to 120 in July 2006.

The state as a whole added nearly 74,000 people from April 1, 2000, to July 1, 2006, an increase of 6.1 percent. But Hawai'i County claimed 30 percent of those new arrivals, the Census Bureau said.

======================================

Alaska - 2000-2006

125px-Flag_of_Alaska.svg.png

Anchorage: 278,700 (+18,417)

Anchorage-Matanuska-Susitna Borough: 359,180 (+39,575)

Fairbanks North Star Borough: 86,754 (+3914) *Gains over all although the city lost -801 people last year

Juneau City and Borough: 30,737 (+26) *Gains over all although the city lost -144 people last year

====================================

Puerto Rico - 2000-2006

125px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png

San Juan-Caguas-Fajardo, PR Combined Statistical Area: 2,706,052 (roughly +83,176)

San Juan Municipio: 426,618 (-8,301)

-Arecibo Municipio: 102,216 (+2,085)

-Bayam

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're welcome. BTW where is Toa Alta? Is it a part of San Juan's metro? Also, what are the reason's for San Juan and Bayamon losing people while the other municipios nearby are gaining? Aren't most of the condo or housing projects in San Juan?

Yep Toa Alta is a suburb of San Juan,its right next to Bayamon(west of Bayamon).

Maybe crimes and cost of living is making people leave both San Juan and Bayamon,plus there are almost no new residential projects in Bayamon and the San Juan ones are mostly expensive and for high-class people.

Toa Alta's new urbanizations are pretty cheap too,I have family that bought there.

Rican427, interesting it's too bad the growth isn't wide spread. I'd like to see Ponce and Mayaguez gain more people and become major players too but its probably not going to happen (same with other cities in Alaska outside of Anchorage and Hawaii outside of Honolulu).

dgreco, yeah it will be a pretty big deal. Although, the metro is getting really close to a million already if you count the influx of people like the military and tourists. In 2005 according to the Hawaii State Data Factbook the daily average census including military and tourists was 946,425 (187,668 for the Big Island, 79,338 for Kauai and 181,534 for Maui a state total of 1,394,965) Hopefully the proposed transit system will be in place before it tops a million which will be sometime after the 2010 census. Luckily Honolulu's growth has slowed down a little due to heavy outmigration to other islands and the mainland, this may buy the city some time to build or improve infrastructure and build afforadable housing/rentals to accommodate more people. Right now foreign inmigration and natural increase are the city's main area's of growth. I was actually surprised to see the foreign inmigration increase so much over last year although its still no where near the levels it used to be when it hovered around 8-9,000 annually.

Archived