Olive Garden

westside96

On the city shopping areas, my point was simple. Compare apples to apples and be accurate. If you use a separate suburban city (Mt. Pleasant) for Charleston, then do the same and use a separate suburban city (Simpsonville) for Greenville. Accurate and apples to apples. There is enough mis-information on the internet and I would think we would all try hard to be as accurate as possible. The orginial comparison was factually inaccurate.

On to Spartanburg and Olive Garden, this is good to see. :thumbsup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the city shopping areas, my point was simple. Compare apples to apples and be accurate. If you use a separate suburban city (Mt. Pleasant) for Charleston, then do the same and use a separate suburban city (Simpsonville) for Greenville. Accurate and apples to apples. There is enough mis-information on the internet and I would think we would all try hard to be as accurate as possible. The orginial comparison was factually inaccurate.

On to Spartanburg and Olive Garden, this is good to see. :thumbsup:

Haywood and Woodruff have a unique relationship within Greenville when compared to other cities in this state. most (though certainly not all) of the stores that locate in one have not chosen to locate in the other, which I can only assume is due to their proximity. You can't really compare Westgate to either of them for that reason - apples to oranges. Thats one reason that I generally refer to them as one large shopping district which combined . This is true for Rivers Ave and Harbison too. Splitting up Haywood and Woodruff Rd makes any comparison more difficult.

I have more that adequately corrected myself by explaining what I meant by primary markets vs submarkets, and I'm done beating that horse. I absolutely do not buy the arguement that a suburban city is somehow separated from the central city. Its all the same urban area. It doesn't matter what political jurisdiction its in. Simpsonville is no Mount Pleasant, IMO, but I'm not debating Simpsonville's existance as a strong submarket.

Simpsonville definitely has a lot going for it, it should not be slept on and it will only continue to improve as time goes by. To me Simpsonville is another Summerville. There are hundreds of towns in SC and elsewhere that would kill to be in Simpsonville's position. When people talk of shopping in Atlanta, they don't separate the suburbs from the central city. Major retail centers like Vinnings, Galleria and Buckhead while urbanized and glitzy aren't exactly in the city proper of Atlanta but no one will debate their importance in the Atlanta metro or even count them as secondary markets imo.

There have been rumors of the Olive Garden coming to the area as well as a Costco. There is a lot of land on either side of the current built up area for more development. A huge industrial area is in the works just north of ext 199 with over 9 million sq ft of space.

Wow! I saw this "Olive Garden" thread on the main index and had to chime in. I'm surprised that an OG is getting a thread here, considering it's just another chain. I hosted, bussed and waited tables at an Olive Garden in Michigan for 2 years while in college back in the early 90's. People think it's fine dining, and that there are actual chefs in the kitchen. Ha. More like guys with tethers on. And yes, the "salad and breadsticks are to die for". Too bad they don't know an Olive Garden salad with their Italian dressing and two breadsticks has more fat and calories then a Big Mac and Super Size fries. But the women clamor in at lunchtime to get their fix. :rofl:

Thanks for the laughs guys. :thumbsup:

While I dont disagree with your opinion on Olive Garden's food, one of the point of this thread, at least from my perspective, is that this chain isn't a big deal and yet we are just now getting one in Spartanburg. If you hang around this forum a while or jst explore back a few pages, you'll see that Spartanburg has a suprisingly low number of generica chains. Its not necessarily a bad thing to NOT have chain restaurants, but its just a situation that makes you go: :blink: if you live here. There's no reason or thesse chains NOT to locate here, except for a lack of space on a major highway in an existing commercial district.

So today is the big day. The Herald-Journal has a nice artilce about the building and its design. Maybe its just me, but I think this is pretty tacky. An Italian villa really doesnt blend in with Spartanburg, SC. Greenville's Olive Garden on Laurens Rd has the stucco look I think. That would be much better suited for Spartanburg, given our city's love affair with stucco.

Archived