The Shoppes at River Crossing

poohsfolks

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true; the new Kroger under construction in Milledgeville is over 90,000 square feet, so I could see this space going to Kroger as well.

Wait, on second thought, isn't Kroger about to expand their store on Tom Hill Sr.? Would they really open a new larger-size store about 3 miles from another store being expanded? I mean I know Publix has two stores in the general area, but they're smaller...

Wait, on second thought, isn't Kroger about to expand their store on Tom Hill Sr.? Would they really open a new larger-size store about 3 miles from another store being expanded? I mean I know Publix has two stores in the general area, but they're smaller...

I don't know if they still plan to do that.but they have put out a construction bid for a new kroger in north macon,said they are working out terms with the developers.accoring to my friend who has worked been in management with kroger in macon for over 20 yrs,he was told they were going to start expanding and remolding the tom hill kroger and that shopping center after they finished the forsyth rd kroger.last I talked to him that was still the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

As I have thought about it, I noticed someone has aparently bought the old Northwinds Square site. I could see Kroger taking the large lot in the center and building their 100,000sf store along with 20,000-40,000sf 0f retail space.then have the other 20 or so out lots.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^^ Well as you know William Baker is the General Growth Manager for the shoppes. He told me that the record number of emails he had gotten thus far was for the White House Black Market Boutique, which the shoppes got. But he told me something I was unaware of. Many of the big national retailers have a 10 mile radius to show whether or not a certain store would have enough customers to support it. I told Mr. Baker is was not fair, because the Shoppes has customers as far north as Clayton and Henry Counties, since Southlake Mall has become a ghetto mall, and just recently loosing JCPenney. But he said he did not like it either but that is what most of the national retailers go by.

He wanted to take the space that originally was reserved for the Olive Garden and put in a Cheesecake Factory or P.F. Changs. He also wanted J.Crew, Kate Spade, Kenneth Cole, Brooks Brothers, A{sodEmoji.|}X Armani Exchange and he even thought about that empty third pad for a store like Z Gallery or Crate & Barrel, but once again, that stupid 10 mile radius applies.

I have always loved Macon, and I also have family in Macon, so naturally I want to see it thrive.

As far as Macon Mall is concerned, I guess everyone will have to wait and see. It is such a shame Macon was becoming a major retail center in Georgia, with only Metro Atlanta as the state's leader. Well I am getting sort of off-topic here, but Macon is by far my favorite city behind Metro Atlanta, and I will continue to hope for its growth and prosperity. :good:

Interesting.most of my family and friends live in that 10 mile radius,but we still do most of our serious shoping in Atlanta....the Olive Garden space seems kinda small for a Cheesecake Factory most of them are between 10,000-15,000sf I believe thats space is around 6,500sf.I could still see P.F.Changs going in there in the future.

The location is in Zone- C facing the main highway where the Mexican restaurant La Parrilla is also located, down at the corner where if you cross the street you will be right in front of Barnes & Nobel. George supplied the updated blueprints that indicated that space as "The Olive Garden."

The interesting thing about Mr. Baker is that he has over 20 years of retail experience. He used to be the General Manager for Macon Mall up until 2007 when General Growth Properties approached him about becoming the G.M. of The Shoppes, and looking at things now, he made the right decision. He told me the reason the fountains and waterfalls at the mall were shut down had nothing to do with being a traffic impediment, it was simply just one less thing that Hull Storey Gibson had to worry about maintaining, with the cost of doing so. And he is NOT at all impressed with HSG. He told me if they can pull if off, great, if not, The Shoppes will be here for all to enjoy.

As far as Mr. Bakers comment on the Cheesecake Factory, I believe he was going to reconfigure that space by getting other retailers to relocate at General Growth Properties expense, and take a couple of those stores to give him what he needed for the restaurant. The revenue generated would more than cover the relocation cost of two retailers, according to Mr. Baker. So if he can snatch national retailers like White House{sodEmoji.|}Black Market, then he is going to try to get the big wigs from GGP to help him woo in more national retailers such as the ones mentioned above in my previous post. Let's wish him and the GGP Team success. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I think The Shoppes can easily get more stores. I had PF Chang's takeout tonight and it was delicious! :)

Macon really seems like it's struggling, but yet the north part of Macon seemed so nice and thriving, so I'm sure they can get more. But then again. I'm sure there are a lot of people who go to Atlanta to shop.

For me, that's the problem with Greenville. They have a lot of stuff, but Charlotte and Atlanta have larger stores and stores that they don't have in Greenville. Well, when I (and others) shop in Charlotte and Atlanta, then they aren't going to get larger stores and new stores. There's really no good way, haha. That same thing applies to Macon and Atlanta.

I just figured that Charlotte and SouthPark have much more and is only about 2 hours vs. the 1 hour and 15 minutes to Greenville, so I often chose to go to Charlotte now.

Diva II now open. Maybe we should have a parade!! :yahoo::fun: Looks like I need to go down on a Friday and talk with Mr. William Baker, the General Manager of The Shoppes At River Crossing, and the former General Manager of Colonial Macon Mall back in the good ol' days before Parisian shut down and the decline started under the terrible management of Jones LaSalle. Honestly I do not know which is worst, Jones LaSalle or Hull Storey Gibson. Anyway a new store in this economy is always welcomed. Now if they would just add Belk and put it in like Center Court if that is what they are going to call it, The Summit would be great. Shame though they did not built all the major retail in the same location, such as Belk, The huge one level free standing JCPenney, and Khol's, but for some reason they decided for The Summit to be where I (just for fun) was designing a 2 level enclosed mall, yes that is right. A 2 level ENCLOSED, CLIMATE CONTROLLED mall. They are great in the fall and spring, but the humid summers and chilly winters makes me think that before this decade is over, malls just might make a comeback, you think? :silly:

Archived