Possible Quicken Loans Building

detwaa84

I'm going to detour this thread for a second while all other talks are on hold for the moment...but speaking of Quicken Loans, supposedly, Kwame's new $420,000 home in Florida they purchased 4 months ago (October of 2007) was financed by Quicken Loans.

John Bennett, webmaster for "Detroit Uncovered", asks, "Should we read anything into this deal with Quicken and the sweetheart deal Mayor Kilpatrick gave Quicken's owner Dan Gilbert?"

It sounds far fetched, and though I'm sure even if there was some sort of deal in the making, this doesn't threaten QL's move to the city. BUT, if there is an uncovering of a deal, that brings in the state too. I doubt there's anything here, but just bringing it up shows how much people really distrust the mayor.

sources: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...BLOG01/80125017

http://www.firejerryo.com/

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allow me to interpret that comment for you. What you meant to say was, people are questioning EVERYTHING the mayor does from now on, and for obvious reasons. This is one of many reasons why it is so important that he follows city union requests and resign. Nobody can trust him. It's getting pretty pathetic to keep hearing people justify this guy.

He HAD a second chance. It was called his reelection. He could have come clean on the stand back in August, but he made a decision to deceive everyone and everything he was associated with and thought to himself, "these fools voted me back into office and they're stupid enough for me to get away with anything...watch this, I'm going to lie for them...for them, cuz they're paying for it."

People are out just to get the mayor! One thing happen and now they trying to find other things as well.

I hope you're joking about this. I hope you're not trying to defend this guy after he's got a proven track record for being an a-1 f--- up. He needs to resign, and people need to realize that nobody is running a smear campaign on him. He really IS just that stupid. Look how much he's cost the city already. Since he was hiding out on Thursday, it means he wasn't able to attend the meeting in Washington DC to get federal money for the city.

Honestly I am not joking about my comment because it is sometimes true. Even when he first came into office, it seemed like people were questioning him because of his young age and even before he had done anything wrong yet. I agree that he does make stupid decisions and he needs to pay for them and his reelection was his second chance, but some of the things that they are just bringing to the forefront in the freep (mayor and Beatty rendezvous), are things that he did back in 2002 and 2003 when he first became mayor.

What I'm saying is that I think many just concentrate on the negative aspects of the mayor rather than both negative and positive. He has done alot for the city of Detroit, and I don't think he gets enough praise for that. He is the forerunner of Detroit revitalization efforts, without him I don't think Detroit would have came as far as it has since he came into office. I think that the mayor should pay back the money that it has cost the city to run this whole trial. Instead of resignation however, I say let Kwame serve the rest of his term as mayor and then not allow him to serve again.

On a side note, how can the mayor be so dumb sometimes? You know that people are questioning your moves, you need to come clean. I think that if he would have came clean and told the truth then things would be different for him. It would have distilled some trust into the people looking at him.

^ Hmmm, I don't buy that argument. People concentrate on the negative because that's all we see, the positive side comes from other people. I don't give him credit for Quicken, or any of the renovations downtown. They are the work of organizations and investors who actually care about putting money into the city. Kwame rather take money from the city by ringing up charges on the city credit card.

Honestly I am not joking about my comment because it is sometimes true. Even when he first came into office, it seemed like people were questioning him because of his young age and even before he had done anything wrong yet. I agree that he does make stupid decisions and he needs to pay for them and his reelection was his second chance, but some of the things that they are just bringing to the forefront in the freep (mayor and Beatty rendezvous), are things that he did back in 2002 and 2003 when he first became mayor.

What I'm saying is that I think many just concentrate on the negative aspects of the mayor rather than both negative and positive. He has done alot for the city of Detroit, and I don't think he gets enough praise for that. He is the forerunner of Detroit revitalization efforts, without him I don't think Detroit would have came as far as it has since he came into office. I think that the mayor should pay back the money that it has cost the city to run this whole trial. Instead of resignation however, I say let Kwame serve the rest of his term as mayor and then not allow him to serve again.

On a side note, how can the mayor be so dumb sometimes? You know that people are questioning your moves, you need to come clean. I think that if he would have came clean and told the truth then things would be different for him. It would have distilled some trust into the people looking at him.

I can't speak for the newspapers, but I can tell you why I'm harping on his affairs. His affairs have cost the city more than 9 million dollars in legal fees, to the police he was so quick to fire. This proves what bad character this man has, and it further validates what people have been saying about the party at the Manoogian mansion (would a man willing to fire people protecting the city, be quick to have a exotic dancer killed). Also over the years he has been using city funds to take Beatty on "dates".

As far as the positives he's done for the city ... alot of those things he's taking credit for are things that Dennis Archer started the ground work on. I'm not saying that the guy doesn't do ANYTHING, but just think how much work any of us could get done while also doing 14k text over the course of 2 months. This to me shows how easy he is to distract.

Speaking of distractions ... with this whole text messaging foolishness, he missed the meeting in DC where he should have been lobbying for federal funds for the city. Instead he was in Florida trying to keep a low profile (Not that I can blame him for this, BUT because of his actions the city lost out).

As far as to why he's so dumb sometimes, I can't answer that at all. This guy is supposed to be a lawyer, and he's texting about "...we did the right thing to fire those guys, because they were getting close...". He'll probably be dis-barred(sp) for commiting pergury. I mean I think you know I'm not one of his supporters but DAMN, everyone knows you don't put things on e-mail, instant messaging, or text if you don't want them to come up again in the future... especially a supposed lawyer. Even if he weren't distracted with scandals, at this point I have to wonder if he's got the mental aptitude to run a city.

I guess he's all kinds of corrupt then!

So how exactly does the house fit in? He promised his financing business to Quicken as part of the deal? It's money, but a drop in the bucket compared to their total business, and the money wouldn't go directly to Dan anyway. Or is part of the deal that Quicken has to give Kwame a special deal for his house?

I can't speak for the newspapers, but I can tell you why I'm harping on his affairs. ... This proves what bad character this man has... Even if he weren't distracted with scandals, at this point I have to wonder if he's got the mental aptitude to run a city.

Just discovered the description of him hosting a "friend" on his King Day speech trip. (It's in the Freep, and easy to find.)

What

A

Sleazeball.

So how exactly does the house fit in? He promised his financing business to Quicken as part of the deal? It's money, but a drop in the bucket compared to their total business, and the money wouldn't go directly to Dan anyway. Or is part of the deal that Quicken has to give Kwame a special deal for his house?

I was just making the point that...could something become of this? Is there an irony behind the purchase date of the house and that of the Quicken deal? I was just questioning more scandalous intentions since that seems to be the bomb that was dropped lately for the Kilpatricks.

By the way, supposedly, the house was put up for sale. Why that would occur is anyone's guess. :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

Wow; talk about a resurrection...

It may be that we don't have to worry about any of this happening, at all with the way things are going and as quiet as Quicken has been.

A resurrection is right... I miss speculating about Quicken ^_^

We should hear something by November according to the contract. They were required to choose a site by that time. I look forward to seeing what Gilbert plans to do. He is obviously still interested in a move, hints his involvement in mass transit as of late. Fingers crossed for a grand slam project!

Surprised no one got around to posting this. It seems as if this thing is stalled or is moving at a snails pace due to the economy:

Credit Crisis Slows Quicken

Financing for move to Detroit from Livonia is harder to get as market queasiness settles in.

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

October 23, 2008

Almost a year after announcing plans to bring 4,000 employees to a new downtown Detroit headquarters, Quicken Loans Inc. says the global credit crunch may make it tough to finance the deal. Quicken also has pushed back the date for choosing a location from Nov. 1 to sometime before the end of the year.

I'm not quite as pessimistic, because Gilbert has shown a curiously strong want to come downtown in some way. I'm not sure I ever expected this thing to go forward without some bumps in the road and delays; this is Detroit we're talking about, after all, but I don't get the sense that when times are better that Gilbert won't be back. Unlike the Compuware and GM moves, Quicken hasn't just talked about bringing its headquarters, downtown, but being involved in housing and light rail. CEOs don't usually propose such things.

If Quicken survives all of this financial turmoil (which they will, but probably will require more layoffs and possible restructuring), I think they will be back. But I'm thinking more long term. I don't really take much stock in the dates thrown out there by developers, building owners, city officials, etc. regarding developments, since everything in this city takes 10 times longer than expected. Between the economy, difficulty with financing in the city, and all the red tape, it's a wonder that anyone wants to do anything positive in this city!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Gilbert is still looking downtown, but plans have changed, which is completely understandable. That he's rumored to still be moving forward in this economy is pretty amazing, if you ask me.

Will Quicken rent or buy, not build?

Word around Detroit has it that Dan Gilbert will lease space downtown rather than build a new headquarters for Quicken Loans Inc. and its affiliated companies.

Sources say Gilbert's real estate team has been asking around for 250,000 square feet of space to rent. That amount of contiguous space leaves just a few options: 1001 Woodward, Comerica Tower, Chase Tower or some of the city's older, underused buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the city gave him incentives to build on downtown property, I'm sure that is their preference and it may happen someday in the future. As for now, it is no surprise that they will do what they can to have their HQ presence downtown as a way to walk the walk. It's just a sad product of the reality that this country doesn't seem to know how to operate anymore as a collective whole, even if Quicken is one of the few reputable big companies out there. If they make smart corporate decisions, then I think they have a better chance in the future of a reward of a new piece of real estate in the CBD as opposed to the opposite...opening their palms begging for money.

• 7 months later...

Archived