Fayetteville is Northwest Arkansas

Doesn't it seem like Fayetteville is trying to one-up the rest of Northwest Arkansas with a statement like "Fayetteville IS Northwest Arkansas," by the group of people at the Fayetteville Visitor Bureau. It seems a bit immature and only promotes division among Northwest Arkansas cities. I though Bentonville's comments were bad, but that one by Fayetteville really is over the top. I really like the rest of the "Bureau's" claim:

"Centrally located to everything the state's fastest-growing area has to offer, Fayetteville has so much to do, you may never need to leave the city limits. Discover the area's most vibrant nightlife, unique shopping, historical sites and outdoor activities that take advantage of the magnificent Ozark Mountains. And don't miss the new Clinton House Museum, it's just one reason that Fayetteville IS Northwest Arkansas."

Centrally located? Okay. Oh, and I really love the part about the Clinton House. :thumbsup:

[edit] forgot the link... www.experiencefayetteville.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking the reason the slogan doesn't and won't really communicate very well to people in NWA is because we aren't viewing it the same way someone from Rhode Island would. We look at it say that's really dumb because we are coming from a different perspective. I think if you look at it in reference to someone wanting to visit, its not so dumb. They're basically saying to visitors, if you're visiting here we've got everything you want. We are THE place to visit in NWA. I mean if I was going to visit the area, I'd agree that I'd want to visit Fayetteville more than any of the other cities.

Here's an example of how a city can show pride without making false claims... Springfield, Missouri Chamber of Commerce:

Springfield may be one of the country's most common city names, but Springfield, Missouri, is anything but common. A premier mid-size metro area, Springfield is a great place to work, go to school, raise a family, or retire. Why?

Because everything you need is here

Doesn't it seem like Fayetteville is trying to one-up the rest of Northwest Arkansas with a statement like "Fayetteville IS Northwest Arkansas," by the group of people at the Fayetteville Visitor Bureau. It seems a bit immature and only promotes division among Northwest Arkansas cities. I though Bentonville's comments were bad, but that one by Fayetteville really is over the top. I really like the rest of the "Bureau's" claim:

"Centrally located to everything the state's fastest-growing area has to offer, Fayetteville has so much to do, you may never need to leave the city limits. Discover the area's most vibrant nightlife, unique shopping, historical sites and outdoor activities that take advantage of the magnificent Ozark Mountains. And don't miss the new Clinton House Museum, it's just one reason that Fayetteville IS Northwest Arkansas."

Centrally located? Okay. Oh, and I really love the part about the Clinton House. :thumbsup:

Much of what is said is true. Fayetteville does have the area's most vibrant nightlife, still the most shopping (Not for long), historical sites such as the Old Washington County Courthouse, Fayetteville National Cemetary, etc, and countless ourdoor activities. The only thing I wouldn't agree with is that it's centrally located in NWA.

Also, I doubt Fayetteville tries to one up NWA by claiming it's the Number one city. If anyone is guilty of this it's Rogers. Ever heard of a speech from Rogers Mayor Steeve Womack. That man is stuck in a bubble and thinks that Rogers is one up NWA. I've heard about 3 or 4 of his speaches and every single one always includes that Rogers is a "world city" with world class shopping, top entertainment venues (I can't think of one venue), etc etc.

Yeah but that's what cities do, try to convince everyone that THAT particular city is the place to be. That website doesn't get any direct benefit for having people go to the other NWA cities. As fas as being centrally located, yeah the only think I could say is what's their interpretation of northwest Arkansas. I do know some people who don't just use it to refer to just a couple of counties up here but more the region including Crawford and Sebastian counties including the Van Buren/Ft Smith area. Although I don't think many people up here regard that as northwest Arkansas. But that's the only other thing I can think there.

Yeah but that's what cities do, try to convince everyone that THAT particular city is the place to be. That website doesn't get any direct benefit for having people go to the other NWA cities. As fas as being centrally located, yeah the only think I could say is what's their interpretation of northwest Arkansas. I do know some people who don't just use it to refer to just a couple of counties up here but more the region including Crawford and Sebastian counties including the Van Buren/Ft Smith area. Although I don't think many people up here regard that as northwest Arkansas. But that's the only other thing I can think there.

As fas as being centrally located, yeah the only think I could say is what's their interpretation of northwest Arkansas. I do know some people who don't just use it to refer to just a couple of counties up here but more the region including Crawford and Sebastian counties including the Van Buren/Ft Smith area.

I really don't see why everyone is getting so excited about this. It is a small quote on a website that almost nobody will ever see. Those who do will probably not even give it a second thought. But you have to take pride in you city if you work for it and live in it. They may have went too far but it is really not too big of a deal.

Fortunately, most people doing a basic google search for Fayetteville will not come across the experiencefayetteville.com website. They'll most likely end up looking at a Northwest Arkansas website that combines all the cities amenities into one location. Besides that the official Arkansas visitors guide places Fayetteville in the Ozarks region and Fort Smith in the River Valley region. So I guess some people have their own opinions about where Fayetteville is located and the official state and city governments have a different opinion.

Fortunately, most people doing a basic google search for Fayetteville will not come across the experiencefayetteville.com website. They'll most likely end up looking at a Northwest Arkansas website that combines all the cities amenities into one location. Besides that the official Arkansas visitors guide places Fayetteville in the Ozarks region and Fort Smith in the River Valley region. So I guess some people have their own opinions about where Fayetteville is located and the official state and city governments have a different opinion.

I would like to add a small note. The city of Fayetteville and the Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce are NOT connected in anyway other than sharing a parking lot. While they interact a lot, that is about it. Any Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit entity entirely supported by fundraising drives and membership fees. The Convention and Visitors Bureau (host of experiencefayetteville.com ) is actually much more related to the city since it is funded by the HMR tax.

So, in effect, this IS being said by the city of Fayetteville...

I would like to add a small note. The city of Fayetteville and the Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce are NOT connected in anyway other than sharing a parking lot. While they interact a lot, that is about it. Any Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit entity entirely supported by fundraising drives and membership fees. The Convention and Visitors Bureau (host of experiencefayetteville.com ) is actually much more related to the city since it is funded by the HMR tax.

masons_dad1 Feb 2 2007, 06:38 PM

I agree that a visitor could spend a week here and never need to leave Fayetteville to enjoy themselves. Unfortunately, most visitors will be coming through XNA and will have to wonder what all that neat stuff is between Bentonville and Fayetteville. They may be inclined to take a trip up to the Pinnacle Hills Promenade area and wonder why those people in Fayetteville lied.

There's a whole lot of "nothing" between Fayetteville and Fort Smith.

Thanks, I didn't realize the city of Fayetteville is running experiencefayetteville.com, but I know the city runs accessfayetteville.org, which has nothing for visitors. Truth be told, experiencefayetteville.com has a lot of great links and info, although it's not a pretty website like Bentonville's Chamber of Commerce website. Just wish the city of Fayetteville wouldn't come off as such a snob.

The "nothing" between Fayetteville and Fort Smith includes Devil's Den state park, scenic 71B, Mt Gaylor, White Rock, Terra Studios, the Pig Trail, the Mulberry River, Lake Ft Smith, historic downtown Van Buren, and probably many more unique locations and definitely some great views.

My opinion is that NWA collectively is a wonderful place and each city offers value to defining NWA.

I know many of the economic development voices of Fayetteville (Rust, Ramsey, Coody, UA reps, etc) actually pitch the

• 2 years later...

Archived