Relettering of SouthTrust Building

superjack

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you guys. I don't know what has happened to me, but I have a true appreciation for the simplicity of that building with its clean lines and curved corners. I disdained it when it was first built and even lost sleep over it for quite a while (I have a tendency to obsess sometimes), but now I even like the construction material. There's something about the building that seems to marry the classical with the industrial. It's classically simplistic with a high-tech look. And it changes color depending on the sky. When the capitol dome returns to that soft, elegant green, it, along with the Capitol Center, the Meridian, the 1st Union building, the domes on the future Greek Orthodox cathedral, the roof on the South Carolina Supreme Court building, the international student offices building next to Cornell Arms, the awning on the Hampton Inn on Gervais in the Vista, and several other roof tops and domes will all contribute to a beautiful green hue all over the city, both on the skyline and from more up-close and personal vantage points.

There's something else I want to say about the Capitol Center. I have noticed that the more buildings that are built downtown, the better that building looks. That is because DDRC (Columbia's architectural review board) makes sure to recall features of existing structures when approving new ones to be built. The arc over the Meridian Tower seems industrial also, thus marrying the industrial with the the building's otherwise classical design and construction materials. The different shades of green in the Meridian also compliment the coloring of the Capitol Center, which can appear anything from a very light green, to a very light gray, to almost a very pale blue, depending on the sky.

The Capitol Center could use some lighting to make it noticeable at night. The little work done to the lighting of the BOA tower on Main has made it look better amongst the skyline at night. The Capitol Center needs to do something more to stand out in the night skyline.

The Capitol Center could use some lighting to make it noticeable at night. The little work done to the lighting of the BOA tower on Main has made it look better amongst the skyline at night. The Capitol Center needs to do something more to stand out in the night skyline.

Reliable rumour has it that 1301 Gervais (the Wilbur building) will be seeing a change before long. The huge white letters will be replaced with the Wilbur Smith Associates logo. FYI, the building's management insist it is the Bank of America Tower, regardless of the name atop.

Maybe they got tired of having two BOA buildings in the same city. It was confusing. So when WSA was renegotiating their lease about three years ago, the Meridian was wooing them. 1301 building management included the name deal as part of their enticement for WSA to stay put.

Seems the largest tenents get the priviledge of having their names in lights.

Archived