CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Easley Town Center

g-man430

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I'm dating myself, but it seems to me that the Walmart on the other side of town (the one in the strip mall with the Bilo, on the way to Clemson) just opened a few years ago- maybe sometime in the '90s?

If the Walmart had just stayed at Foothills Mall (the former enclosed mall where the Lowe's is now), sprawl and dead shopping centers could have been avoided- very unfortunate.

Maybe I'm dating myself, but it seems to me that the Walmart on the other side of town (the one in the strip mall with the Bilo, on the way to Clemson) just opened a few years ago- maybe sometime in the '90s?

If the Walmart had just stayed at Foothills Mall (the former enclosed mall where the Lowe's is now), sprawl and dead shopping centers could have been avoided- very unfortunate.

Yes, it does seem like such a waste to shutter the relatively new Wal-Mart on Pendleton Street. There is some talk of Big Lots moving in or Sam's. Probably the latter would be an okay option. In general though, it seems fairly standard for Wal-Mart to abandon their 'older' megastores for newer ones. It is just unsightly when these huge buildings and their massive parking lots sit empty.

Hasn't that Walmart been there for at least 15 years or so? That seems like a while for a Walmart. Regardless, it is always sad to see what comes of shopping centers abandoned by Walmart. I'm sure the one in Easley will be no different. Sam's could definitely save it. Big Lots would help it hang on for a little longer, perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kmart will continue to draw some business from the neighboring Bi-Lo from customers who do not want to deal with the Walmart crowd. Both Kmart and Bi-Lo will struggle.

Kmart is slowly closing some stores in South Carolina. The remaining Super Kmart Center in North Charleston on Rivers Avenue closed. The Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville has been closing for seven years.

Just wondering how long the Easley Kmart can hold on, with Walmart now almost right next door? I drove by both on Saturday. The new Walmart looked packed, with the parking lot almost totally full. The Kmart had just a few cars in front.

K-mart always just has a few cars in front... usually the employees. It'll be interesting to see how long they survive and what Easley will do to promote a business to replace not only their location, but the old Wal-mart's as well.

The Bi-Lo next to the old Walmart seemed to have a decent number of cars in front of it- if it goes under, that means no more Bi-Lo in Easley?

The South Pendleton Street Bi-Lo will draw some business with Big Lots opening up in part of the former Walmart, but it will lose business to its closest direct competitor, Ingle's, on Pelzer Highway.

The Bi-Lo on Calhoun Memorial Highway will suffer greatly with the new Walmart. The nearby Ingle's may lose some business, but will still fare well. It is rumored to add a pharmacy after closing its video department.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tractor Supply Company it looks like also according to the Greenville News. Site plan is being reviewed by the city currently. Like with Academy Sports and Sam's Club though, a building permit has not been filed yet.

Tractor Supply Company? Seriously? LMAO.

How pathetic this development has turned out. Easley's one chance to step up a notch and they get Walmart, Sam's and Tractor Supply. The developer should look to a different business. I've seen demographic studies of the Powdersville area, and it can support much better retail.

Sad.

Ugh, so much freaking parking. Did nobody ever think about trying to create a real streetscape? 123 is such a monstrosity of urban sprawl.

Agreed. This development has a limited life......give it 10 years and then Walmart will decide to move again.

Archived