Grand Rapids Airport (GRR) News and Developments

joeDowntown

I see Air Canada is running an ad on the Press' website now, listing their fares:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/

(second slot on the right)

Oops. It was there the first few rotates, but now it's gone.

Here was the link:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/us/offers/air/.../grr_aug08.html

I'll be utilizing Air Canada service out of GRR later this year when I have to go to both Toronto and St. John, New Brunswick for work. Unfortunately the planes (18-seat Beechcrafts) being used to and from here are about the size of a crop duster. I think they hand you a parachute pack when you board the plane. :shok:

And speaking of the new parking ramp, on a flight home yesterday, I heard several visitors commenting on the construction as we were taxing to the gate. The conversation centered around why such a large ramp was needed for such a small airport.

Edited by Par75

[im confused to why this ramp has to be so large also :dontknow: Most people are going to Lansing, Chicago, Detroit anyways. It looks to me like they are spending just for a wow factor. There is no reason for a ramp this size for an airport this size.

Have you driven by the parking lots surrounding the airport recently? Those flat lots are huge and consistently 75% - 90% full. Add to that the much needed expansion of a rental car area (to also be housed in this new garage) and I think you'll be surprised that this garage is probably needed. Sure there is some leakage to other area airports (budget travelers who have extra time), but I think it's safe to say that "most" fliers in the area still use GRR. I think you're seriously underestimating how many business travelers we have in Grand Rapids / West Michigan who usually won't take the time to drive to one of the other area airports. For them (me included) it's more about convenience than cost.

Have you driven by the parking lots surrounding the airport recently? Those flat lots are huge and consistently 75% - 90% full. Add to that the much needed expansion of a rental car area (to also be housed in this new garage) and I think you'll be surprised that this garage is probably needed. Sure there is some leakage to other area airports (budget travelers who have extra time), but I think it's safe to say that "most" fliers in the area still use GRR. I think you're seriously underestimating how many business travelers we have in Grand Rapids / West Michigan who usually won't take the time to drive to one of the other area airports. For them (me included) it's more about convenience than cost.

The airport conducted a "leakage" study, I think mentioned earlier in this thread, and I think it was 15 - 20%. Definitely not a majority of travelers are going to other airports.

GRR has just over 1,000,000 passengers a year, and the new ramp will hold 4900 cars. Richmond (VA) International Airport recently added a second 4000 car parking garage, bringing their total to 8000 ramp spaces. They have 1.6 Million passengers annually.

This cool site has an interactive google maps feature showing every airport and its volume of traffic:

http://www.barnabu.co.uk/2200-biggest-airports-in-the-usa/

(click on 2200 airports USA)

• 2 months later...

Airtran would be nice so would jet blue or southwest. just not allegiant. This is good news as the airport has been loosing passengers as airlines and destinations have been leaving and the fact that there is NO lowcost carrier which keeps the average ticket price among the highest

Well... unfortunately WOODTV is speculating it will be Allegiant, based on clues they uncovered this weekend.

Why do you say "just not allegiant."

We have the 4th highest average airfare of any airport in the country, i'll take ANY LCC at this point.

Well... unfortunately WOODTV is speculating it will be Allegiant, based on clues they uncovered this weekend.

Why do you say "just not allegiant."

We have the 4th highest average airfare of any airport in the country, i'll take ANY LCC at this point.

Yeah, what's the difference between AirTran and Allegiant? The kinds of planes they use? Service? Connections?

Yeah, what's the difference between AirTran and Allegiant? The kinds of planes they use? Service? Connections?

AirTran is in a definate growth model. They have a better fleet, and service more cities.

But, maybe if one comes in, it'll pave the way for another.

The GRFIA used to not work with carriers to reduce terminal charges and fees, but I think they've relaxed that policy.

Watch for NWA to start matching routes, and slashing fares, to try and drive the new LCC out of the market.

I wish Southwest would move in. Southwest services some small MSA's, like Providence, Rhode Island, but not Grand Rapids.

The main difference that I have seen is that Allegiant only flies to certain places on certain days of the week. A sort of part-time operation if you will. It seems most of their flights are direct and don't go to a central hub. Which is great if that's what you're looking for and can wait for that particular day of the week.

AirTran has daily flights all over.

I've often wondered what company that Southwest is referencing in its commercials about charges for the first checked bag, booking flights over the phone, etc.

It appears that it is Allegiant. News release says that its charges $15 for the first checked bag and $10 for flights booked over the phone. Still, it will be a savings when compared to other flights out of GRR.

I wish Southwest would move in. Southwest services some small MSA's, like Providence, Rhode Island, but not Grand Rapids.

Providence, RI is certainly not even in the same ballpark as Grand Rapids in terms of airport size, market etc. I am from the Providence area, and I can tell you that while GRR has potential to be the size of the TF Green airport, any comparison between the two airports ends there.