Governor

Veloise

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm, of course, thrilled by your conclusion, but mostly I want to compliment you on your efforts to sort through the retoric and pick someone that has the best chance of success. You've studied the issues, studied the options, studied the candidates and reached a difficult conclusion. You get an "A+" in civics today. :thumbsup:

May all of our votes at least be cast with a similar thought process (and hopefully a majority with the same conclusion :D ).

Thanks civitas - it is a difficult conclusion. I always did get top of my class in political science and even took a few additional semesters in college for fun much to the horror of my friends who couldn't get away from the subject quick enough. To all my fellow UP's - whatever conclusion you reach, the most important thing is to actually get out and VOTE.

...1. The man served as President of Amway for 9 years, and worked there for 25 years. That's not just a few years. His time on the board he has admitted he quit when his father had health problems, more than likely he had to take care of business; both family and actual business. So thats 2 things. What are the etc...?...

Found this on the Daily Kos site by googling for "devos quit board":

from the GRPress

DeVos ran for public office once before, a successful bid for a seat on the State Board of Education. He left two years into an eight-year term when he had missed about a fifth of the meetings and responsibilities at Amway demanded his attention. ...

and

In 1996, Gov. John Engler appointed DeVos to the Grand Valley State University Board of Control. DeVos resigned four years later after missing 16 of 27 meetings. Business and his 2000 school voucher campaign were keeping him away.

There's much more. He was president of the Orlando Magic for two years. "Retired" from Amway to found a closet organizing company with Betsy. (Easy to find with a few keystrokes.)

[multitasking from a 'bent on the DT "Y-fi"]

Found this on the Daily Kos site by googling for "devos quit board":

from the GRPress

DeVos ran for public office once before, a successful bid for a seat on the State Board of Education. He left two years into an eight-year term when he had missed about a fifth of the meetings and responsibilities at Amway demanded his attention. ...

and

In 1996, Gov. John Engler appointed DeVos to the Grand Valley State University Board of Control. DeVos resigned four years later after missing 16 of 27 meetings. Business and his 2000 school voucher campaign were keeping him away.

There's much more. He was president of the Orlando Magic for two years. "Retired" from Amway to found a closet organizing company with Betsy. (Easy to find with a few keystrokes.)

[multitasking from a 'bent on the DT "Y-fi"]

It is an erroneous conclusion based on the belief that Dick DeVos is anything more than a 'business man' in name only. I'll say it again: He is a lightweight and not that bright. He was often sent on nonsensical errands while the real decisions were being made. He may be a lot of good things - but a responsible, smart, sharp, intelligent, problem-solving business man isn't one of them. He's a spoiled rich kid with too much time on his hands and ambitions greater than his abilities.

He is a lightweight and not that bright. He was often sent on nonsensical

errands while the real decisions were being made. He may be a lot of

good things - but a responsible, smart, sharp, intelligent, problem-solving

business man isn't one of them. He's a spoiled rich kid with too much

time on his hands and ambitions greater than his abilities.

There is a tendency for many individuals here to viciously and personally attack DeVos in particular whenever a "Governor" thread shows up. Users like Mejane pop up and throw out hit pieces like this filled with completely unsubstantiated smearing and nastiness. It doesn't add anything to the debate, it doesn't enlighten anyone on the issues, and with discourse at that level you might as well go to the MLive forums. Just because DeVos is "in the public eye" and isn't a member of this forum doesn't mean namecalling and personal attacks are OK. Neither he nor Granholm are abstract political hate objects about whom anything can be made up and said.

And for the record, Civitas is absolutely right--DeVos had to quit the State Board of Education because his father had a major heart attack and he had to step into the leadership role at Amway. As for Grand Valley, you could again point to his need to fulfill his primary obligations at Amway. In addition, during that time he was leading Grand Action and the arena and convention center projects.

As for this:

DeVos has been chairman and board member of the Education Freedom Fund since at least 1994 which is an organization that gives scholarships to low income kids to allow them to go to the schools they want. He and his wife have given hundreds of thousands of dollars to that organization as well as many other educational organizations, which has allowed something like 4000 kids have educational choice. That's not to mention his board membership with the Thunderbird school of management beginning in 2003, and trustee membership with Davenport from 1991-2000. I think quite a stretch to say that he's "notorious for getting bored with things, and with education, no less."

http://www.devosforgovernor.com/MyStory/?id=6

Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. Not to be sexist (but this has to be sexist... you'll see why), but men should not speak for women's rights. Men are not the ones who suffer the ramifications of pregnancy. They can have a good ol' time, and it's the woman who pays the consequences, every time.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. Not to be sexist (but this has to be sexist... you'll see why), but men should not speak for women's rights. Men are not the ones who suffer the ramifications of pregnancy. They can have a good ol' time, and it's the woman who pays the consequences, every time.

Not really wanting to veer completely off topic here, but I can't let this go. You make light ^^^, but if the average "car salesman or the phone guy" is condescending to women, why on earth would they ever see fit to vote for one or treat his wife/girlfriend with the respect she deserves? Might it not represent a larger attitude? If "joe average" acts in a condescending or disrespectful manner toward women doesn't it reverberate? Women who are treated this way over time think that's all they're worthy of, so why would they challenge the status quo and do something ambitious? Yes, we have a woman for Governor, currently. We also have a Woman in the US Senate, but for every woman in these kinds of positions there are both men and women doing damage to the the whole equality issue, making it all the more difficult for women to be on a level playing field with men.

I just had to put in 2 cents in on this - sorry if it's following off topic. If a car salesman, mechanic or any other salesman / service provider tries to pull a condescending "little lady" attitude with me or rip me off, I take my business elsewhere. No one is putting a gun to my head to do business with the moron. It's like if you don't like a particular radio or TV program - CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

Pro-life and pro-choice are nice, convenient labels much like conservative and liberal. Groups on both extremes always want to make it clear cut, but there is a large spectrum of views on when the new life form is considered to be fully human, and the rights/responsibilities of the pregnant woman.

In my opinion, the people who view life as fully human upon conception should be targeting fertility clinics first. A large majority of women will choose not to abort an unplanned pregnancy. While at a fertility clinic, the practice is to destroy the large majority of frozen embryos. You'd think that fertility clinics would be perceived AND acted upon by these groups as if mass murder were being committed. Because their effort against fertility clinic practices is so lackluster, and where both men and women could ultimately receive criminal penalties if held to the same standard as what they're proposing regarding abortion, it's very easy to see anti-abortion efforts as an assault on women's rights.

I hope we can elevate this discussion beyond abortion. I'm surprised it's got so much traction, here, considering that Michigan is a solidly pro-choice state meaning the governor could do very little with the issue. I stopped talking about DeVos' personal beliefs long ago, as even if he does get elected, he's outside of the mainstream of Michigan and wouldn't have luck in trying to roll back any of Michigan's values.

There is a tendency for many individuals here to viciously and personally attack DeVos in particular whenever a "Governor" thread shows up. Users like Mejane pop up and throw out hit pieces like this filled with completely unsubstantiated smearing and nastiness. It doesn't add anything to the debate, it doesn't enlighten anyone on the issues, and with discourse at that level you might as well go to the MLive forums. Just because DeVos is "in the public eye" and isn't a member of this forum doesn't mean namecalling and personal attacks are OK. Neither he nor Granholm are abstract political hate objects about whom anything can be made up and said."

Let's compare user stats, shall we?

michigan pilot has been a member since 1/06 and has contributed all of 3 times to

discussions in this forum. Mejane has been a member since 12/05 and has

contributed to a variety of threads adding up to 248. Who is it again, who is

"popping up"?

I HAVE NOT attacked Dick DeVos PERSONALLY. He is a man running for a publically

elected office. I have concerns about his fitness for the job. I throw out no hit pieces -

my posts are well thought out and valid. I will not reveal sources. I am not 'making

things up' nor am I lying. I most certainly am not nasty, given how far nasty goes

in general, as well as occasionally on this forum.

I make comments as they pertain to job fitness, not comments on this man's personal

life or character as a human being. I also am not name calling. I hate no one, nor

have I suggested I am filled with hate towards another human being. Dick DeVos may

be a great guy to have a beer with, or have as a friend, father, or son, I just don't

think he is the best choice for governor. My comments potentially enlighten on the

issues as they pertain to ability to handle said issues. Check your definitions and

readings of these things and then understand that while you may not like what you

hear, suggesting my contributions belong elsewhere says more about you than about

me.

Archived