Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

DDRC's May agenda is now online and it shows the request for the corner of Park and Hampton has been withdrawn.

I don't see where that request has been withdraw; 1501 Park Street still looks like an active part of the agenda to me while the items above and below it (Harden Street items) have been withdrawn/deferred.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Vista yesterday at 1:00 and drove around forever before finding a parking spot. I'm not complaining. I'm glad. I really believe there are more people in the Vista at all hours now because people who before the recession thought nothing of putting a tank of gas on their credit card and heading to the beach are now exploring their own back yard in the most populous MSA and city in the state. Recessions are good for something.

I was in the Vista yesterday at 1:00 and drove around forever before finding a parking spot. I'm not complaining. I'm glad. I really believe there are more people in the Vista at all hours now because people who before the recession thought nothing of putting a tank of gas on their credit card and heading to the beach are now exploring their own back yard in the most populous MSA and city in the state. Recessions are good for something.

It was packed in the Vista yesterday. There was a waiting line for a table at Mellow Mushroom during lunch despite the fact that the students are gone. BTW, you can park in the Lady Street or Convention Center garage when there aren't any parking places on the street.

Yes, it's impossible to get in and out of there. I like the building, but I bet it will be closed within 2 years because of the difficulty with access.

I actually think this project will do just fine. They need better connectivity behind the hotel though. They need a way to get from Richland St. to Williams or Laurens St.

There was already a street there (Richland) with people living back there. I haven't heard of many wrecks there and people have been living back there for generations.

The difference is that there aren't very many of them and they are very familiar with the intersection. People using the hotel will be unfamiliar with it and many will be worn out after driving and make bad decisions there.

Yes, it's impossible to get in and out of there. I like the building, but I bet it will be closed within 2 years because of the difficulty with access.

I don't think it'll close, but I'd bet they'd try to get an access road to laurel and block off the current entrance/exit.

You could be right though. if you are unfamiliar with the area, you'll blow right past it coming in from 126.

There is a railroad tench between Williams an Laurel, so they'd have to build an expensive bridge that the RR company probably wouldn't approve of to start with. People can always make a left and use Pulaski St.

Pulaski St. is on the other side of Huger, how does that play into this?