Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

The vista is really starting to come along. I got a chance to drive through the vista while going to Mellow Mushroom's today for lunch. And I was saying to myself in the next 5 years this section of Columbia is going to look really different. At the bottom of the vista near Public's they are building none stop. I think now the city should start adding more national recognized shops.

Here's an article from The State about a four-story building proposed for Lady Street at Lincoln in front of the new parking garage. It will have retail on the ground floor and offices on the top three floors. It is not expected to be ready until spring, 2010 because there is no rush due to the present state of the economy. The article also touches on the fact that some projects in the Vista are being delayed (not cancelled) because of the economy.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/610461.html

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel at Lady and Huger is going to be all brick. The bricks on the top floor are taupe or tan. They're putting them on now.

Also, the one-story opaque bricked up building at Gadsden and Washington on the same side of Gadsden as Memorial Park is undergoing a major reworking. They're giving it a new roof line and knocking out the bricked up window areas. The windows will be very large and square. They're also putting in small square windows overlookiing the park. There are no signs saying what it's going to be.

Blame the historic guidelines for the Vista.

It can still have a dominant brick exterior and yet be architecturally interesting. The city simply doesn't demand more when it comes to architecture and creating memorable places. I think it takes the attitude, "Well, we should just be glad we're getting something, so let's not rock the boat too much." The only exception seems to be when there's an outcry from a neighborhood association (in which case, the outcome is likely to be worse than what it was before ala Five Points South). Otherwise, the city will never demand anything else on its own.

It can still have a dominant brick exterior and yet be architecturally interesting. The city simply doesn't demand more when it comes to architecture and creating memorable places. I think it takes the attitude, "Well, we should just be glad we're getting something, so let's not rock the boat too much." The only exception seems to be when there's an outcry from a neighborhood association (in which case, the outcome is likely to be worse than what it was before ala Five Points South). Otherwise, the city will never demand anything else on its own.

I agree. The city would much rather have a somewhat bland, but profitable, hotel.......than a bankrupt, closed hotel that wasn't feasible due to the cost budget.

I agree. The city would much rather have a somewhat bland, but profitable, hotel.......than a bankrupt, closed hotel that wasn't feasible due to the cost budget.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here (which is fine with me, LOL), but I'm not saying that it has to be the Taj Mahal; just something a bit more visually interesting.

But it looks like they're going with this design, but instead of the corner having a solid brick exterior, it will also have the lighter colored exterior towards the top:

SpringHillSuites.jpg

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here (which is fine with me, LOL), but I'm not saying that it has to be the Taj Mahal; just something a bit more visually interesting.

But it looks like they're going with this design, but instead of the corner having a solid brick exterior, it will also have the lighter colored exterior towards the top:

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I can name three developers in town who are currently simplifying developments due to the economy. If they don't have to put the bells and whistles into the deal, then they are not going to. They want to put a "signature" on their projects, but not if it won't generate any additional rental income (or room revenue for the hotels). The city/county wants/needs the property taxes and income taxes, so they are going to be a little more lenient on design requiremnets than they migh have been two years ago. Just my $0.02 worth, and maybe not even worth that much...... :lol:

^I can understand that, but in this case, the SpringHill Suites was actually proposed before we starting seeing the signs of the economic downturn. This project in particular had no little bells or whistles to begin with. I know it's not a full-service hotel so some things will be lacking, but still.

^I can understand that, but in this case, the SpringHill Suites was actually proposed before we starting seeing the signs of the economic downturn. This project in particular had no little bells or whistles to begin with. I know it's not a full-service hotel so some things will be lacking, but still.

Agreed. It is most likely being built to the minimum Springhill franchise design requirements.

post-1947-1229452857_thumb.jpg

Agreed. It is most likely being built to the minimum Springhill franchise design requirements.

I'd probably say it's one step up, as most SpringHill hotels have an all-beige, EIFS exterior. At least this one has an exterior that's mostly brick. Good aerial, too.

I like that pic IRR. It shows how much the Kline property is just SCREAMING to be developed. I loved the original plan they had for it, and I hate that it's taking SOOOOOOOO long to get started...if it ever gets started at all.

I thik it will be worth the wait, especially with the vacant old bus barn property right next to it becoming available as well. I also hope a quality development comes to the land behind Renaissance Plaza, to the west of Memorial Park. That's another lot screaming out for development.

Here is an elevation I found on LoopNet for 825 Lady Street:

xy_F0391EA6-C5F3-430B-B6B6-E637B6AECA51__.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this will be located at the corner of Lady and Lincoln -- positioned directly in front of the new parking garage. Apologies if this has been posted, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it. NAI Avant is leasing the space. From their listing:

[*]Planned 44,368

Edited by emerging.me

That's not half bad, especially for that location. Thanks for providing the rendering, EM. :thumbsup:

I agree. Inoffensive, relatively context-appropriate design. Decent infill project. It'll be pretty much across the street from the Lady St. side of Center Vista. Lady St. will really be jumpin' in a few years.

I wonder what the next frontier in the Vista will be? I guess bridging the gap between Main with Assembly redevelopment. Washington St. is poised for a ton of infill projects, as are the North-South streets that need to be fleshed out before it all becomes cohesive.

Edited by emerging.me

^Hopefully, the next wave of development in the Vista will encompass the undeveloped parcels along Gervais. For the longest time, I said that Pulaski needed to get in on the action, and now the brownstones are under construction. The Vista west of Huger is starting to develop its own vibe with City Club taking the lead, and that can only get better once the Kline property gets developed. Right now, I think the key properties are the Kline property, the adjacent former site of the bus barn (those two can probably be considered one big site), the property behind Renaissance Plaza and across from Memorial Park, and the vacant lots at Assembly and Main.

Here is an elevation I found on LoopNet for 825 Lady Street:

xy_F0391EA6-C5F3-430B-B6B6-E637B6AECA51__.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this will be located at the corner of Lady and Lincoln -- positioned directly in front of the new parking garage. Apologies if this has been posted, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it. NAI Avant is leasing the space. From their listing:

[*]Planned 44,368