Downtown Raleigh retail updates

Beth Y

Also, Holly Aiken's new space at the Lady's Shop (Hargett & Wilmington) is almost ready to go. She was in there with her trusty 4-legged companion today (that lab/retreiver is the most laid back dog I've ever seen). Should be open any day now.

Also, not really retail, but Cline Design has leased office space at 415 Hillsborough St in recent weeks. It's along a strip of old 1-story storefronts between Harrington and West St. If nothing else it demonstrates the need for offices, and fills up some previously unused space along a street that needs some activity (although not this isn't really an active use).

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of updates. Some already know this, but the much anticipated Downtown Waraji space isn't happening :( . Empire's space is back up for lease. At least the Siti space is coming along, as is the Mahler Gallery on F-St.

Also, some type of professional firm has moved into the old National Art Interiors Bldg on Hillsborough next to the tracks.

So the rumor I mentioned a little while back about the Yancy's space in the Hudson becoming occupied seems more concrete now. I understand they are making at least tentative plans for an upscale sports bar. Oh how nice a smoke free sports bar downstairs would be!!

Edited by Cecil

• 1 month later...

There is an auction at the old The Warehouse on Cabarrus. I was not aware the City of Raleigh is buying the building, but according to Auctioneer's site it is.

One of Raleigh's familiar nightspots has reached the end. The City of Raleigh is buying the building and we have been instructed to EMPTY THE BUILDING. We will be selling everything not involved in the closing, along with a truckload of beautiful equipment from a Guilford County restaurant recently closed (name withheld by request of the seller).

I don't know if this is old news but it seems like a prime place for a RFP, even if the economy is in a slump.

While walking around last night, I noticed:

- I have no idea what it means, but there is a sign for the Remedy Diner in the former Roly Poly space on Hargett near Cafe Luna.

- A few doors down, work is still being done in the Raleigh Furniture buliding, formerly home to a string of nightclubs. No sign of who/what is going in, just the "financing by North State bank" sign still.

- the floor looks really nice in the former furniture store on the NE Wilmington/Hargett corner, though it may be a while before becoming an actual restaurant.

- the Mahler Gallery storefront is done, not sure about the gallery itself.

- Fourteen appears to be the name of the latest place in the second floor above Martin Street Pizza. No hours or anything, just the letters in vertical formation next to the door to AliBi

- the space on Wilmington Street near Lakeside Lounge/Slims looks to be getting a rooftop deck, visible from the sidewalk at the parking deck entrance.

- Empire has taken over managing the retail space in Carlton Place. The Posh hair salon in there is now open.

Edited by ncwebguy

I am in Providence RI as I write this...cool city. After seeing their American Apparel in a barely renovated building with no other retail nearby except some student eateries, I have decided they would make a good first target for chain retail. The Boylan Pearce Building next to Briggs Hardware would make a great spot.

I am in Providence RI as I write this...cool city. After seeing their American Apparel in a barely renovated building with no other retail nearby except some student eateries, I have decided they would make a good first target for chain retail. The Boylan Pearce Building next to Briggs Hardware would make a great spot.

I used to say the same about H&M but you're probably right...American Apparel would also be a great seed for bringing in mass retail downtown.

I guess we can email the companies and ask for them to consider our city for future expansion. :shades:

I used to say the same about H&M but you're probably right...American Apparel would also be a great seed for bringing in mass retail downtown.

I guess we can email the companies and ask for them to consider our city for future expansion. :shades:

H&M is a bigger operation and I have only been to the Manhattan stores. They seem to need more space, and a bigger demographic even though to us they would be destination shopping and would draw from the whole city potentially. Sad, but I could see H&M and Ikea ending up where Kidds Hill Plaza used to be except that maybe Ikea needs/wants a sea of parking (very anti to their typical environmental policies)

My office is up above Hamlin Drugs, directly across the street from the space where "The Remedy" sign is. Three co-workers said that they discovered that it would be a 24 hour diner that serves breakfast food (among other diner-type food). How exciting, if this is true! I've been dying for 24 hour food in downtown! Anybody have more info on this?

Here's a little more info about Remedy.

American Apparel's first store in Charlotte was not in downtown or a mall, but near one of the light rail stations.

They used to have no mall locations, but opened a second Charlotte store in South Park.

I think a small to medium sized store with a somewhat loyal following will be the first to open in downtown. Though I don't know if that will be American Apparel. It might not even be in the F Street corridor, as Glenwood South may be a more attractive first attempt.

When I saw *diner*, I was/am hoping for 24/7 and breakfast, as opposed to Mo's Diner a block further down East Hargett or Poole's Diner on McDowell. Big Ed's is good, but their hours keep me from going there.

The African-American business district in the segregation era extended east to close to East Street on Davie and Martin, and south towards Shaw. Lincoln Theater was a movie theater for African-Americans during that time, and the Prince Hall Masons Temple is nearby on Blount.

FYI, the Manhattan Cafe is now open in the old NY Deli (?) spot in the Hudson on Wilmington St. I hope they can get a bit more business in that location, but that spot is a little cut-off from the main retail corridor of F-St and has not one or two, but three driveways/loading docks (Hudson, RBC parking, RBC loading bays) between it's frontage and Wilmington/Martin St.

Empire/Neomonde's Sitti (now with an extra "t") is moving along nicely and looks to be more than 50% complete.

FYI, the Manhattan Cafe is now open in the old NY Deli (?) spot in the Hudson on Wilmington St. I hope they can get a bit more business in that location, but that spot is a little cut-off from the main retail corridor of F-St and has not one or two, but three driveways/loading docks (Hudson, RBC parking, RBC loading bays) between it's frontage and Wilmington/Martin St.

Empire/Neomonde's Sitti (now with an extra "t") is moving along nicely and looks to be more than 50% complete.

Ate their today to try it out.

They have a build your own salad bar and a build your own pasta bar. Hot items like burgers and gyros available as well.

The deli sandwiches are all pre-made and sitting in a deli case and pulled out for your order. That was a little disappointing. I know it saves time, but just makes me wonder about the freshness.

Food was OK. I had a chicken parmesan panini that was pre-made in the deli case, they took it out and grilled it.

With chips and drink combo it was $9.14.

There is a sign in the window at the Blount/Cabarrus corner of Palladium Plaza for The Barkery, a pet food store specializing in healthy/organic/etc. foods. The second floor of the corner unit is occupied by a custom home builder. So they managed to get two units for the price of one in there!

Also, there always seems to be a few people in (and outside) Cafe 101 lately, so that is a good sign there as well. Work is coming along at the Oxford (formerly Yancy's). They leave the door open sometimes and there is a lot of hardwoods, like a slightly less dark Hibernian or Ri Ra's (I haven't been in since the change to Napper Tandy's, so I don't know what it looks like now).

Is the lounge above the Riveara also closed, or just the restaurant? I think it would have been tough for them to survive with Sitti opening next door. Taz's also taps the "much less formal" crowd, though it is even less formal than even Times Bar.