Alpine Meijer To Get New Face

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Construction Update:

Other than last minute restocking taking place in the men's dept., the entire clothing section is done and looks spectacular! Moving to the back of the store, the ceiling over the old Pharmacy area is now painted and new lighting installed. Moving southward along the back concourse. One will notice the new paint and plumbing sections have been opened and fully stocked. although the back wall in this area still needs paint while further to the south new flooring was laid in the former location of the paint department. Heading to the south east corner one will notice that the new pharmacy area is well under way of being stocked along with health and beauty currently being moved from the old pharmacy area. Next one will notice at the south end of the checkout lanes that lanes 1-9 have been added. These include 4 new U-Scan lanes arranged in a two by two configuration just outside the drop ceiling area, 2 express lanes in a double row configuration, and three regular checkout lanes. Also a cart holding area with the rent-a cartoon cars (What ever they are called :dunno: ) capping off the south end of the checkout lanes. However lanes 10 -14 still need to be added and the drop ceiling over head finished off before the checkout lanes are done.

As for the brown coverings over the garden center's canopy, these are retractable and will be raised in the warm months to allow access into the garden center and then lowered as they are in the winter when the garden center is closed to protect products from the elements. Most Meijer stores with garden centers are equipped with these retractable covers or white colored variants.

Here is a photo of them I took today showing the coverings in their lowered position.

brownretractablecoversmw1.jpg

Construction Update:

Beginning outside, the northeast section of the building, namely the transition space between the old seasonal dept. and the old garden center has been striped of its exterior walls leaving only the roof and the lower half of the wall with the garage door in intact. Its quite supervising how much light the interior window holding the entrance into the old garden center let's in. Sadly this window will not stay as the walls of the transition space will be rebuilt in cinder blocks. Eventually the transition space into the old garden center will become the new bakery.

Heading inside, one will find the beginning stages of framing for a new wall defining parts of the new deli appearing at the former location of small pets. Also plastic has appeared on the ceiling directly above the entrance to the old garden center.

Heading to the back wall of the sales floor, one will find that several coats of plaster has been applied to the new drywall filling in the void left by the demolition of the old pharmacy service desk. Also Heath and Beauty along with Over-the-Counter products is about 80% through the move to the new pharmacy area. Further down the back wall, the opening into the layaway dept has been reduced in size to about a third of what it was before. Also the Automotive Dept. is now being renovated while just to its south, Sporting and Exercise Equipment have found a new home. In addition, paint work on the ceiling over the old pharmcy area is now complete and new lighting from E4 to Bottle Returns is complete and in working order.

Moving to the addition E4 received some graphics on the partition separating it from the Office and Schools Supplies. Oh yeah. The last of the Video game display cabinets is finally stocked and organized.

Moving to the new Pharmacy area one will find it about 80% stocked.

Lastly, some organization of the greeting cards and gifts area has taken place.

Here's some pictures of the work now going on at the north east section of the store.

necournerconstruction1ky2.jpg

necournerconstruction2sk6.jpg

Demolition of the walls here are complete while a worker uses a large diamond tipped wet saw to to cut into the concrete flooring. A bobcat is at the ready for hauling away debris

To assist with the scavenger hunt, i.e. housewares is where seasonal used to be, E4 is in the clearance area, etc., the store has already hung those large graphics & words banners over the pertinent stock. V-e-r-y helpful when you are in Grocery and need to find the new and relocated Office stuff. And the type can be read clear across the store!

Where will the furniture relocate to? Meijer stores like Wilson and Clyde Park have their furniture over in the back of their store. Unless it plans to relocate to the automotive section, there really isn't any other place for it to go right now. So your saying that housewares is right by where the old garden center was at?

Where will the furniture relocate to? Meijer stores like Wilson and Clyde Park have their furniture over in the back of their store. Unless it plans to relocate to the automotive section, there really isn't any other place for it to go right now. So your saying that housewares is right by where the old garden center was at?

Construction Update....Just a quicky.

Check out lanes 11 and 12 are currenly being installed which willl leave only two more lanes to go and the last bit of drop ceiling before the checkout lanes are done. Heading to the back of the sales floor, one will find that the asiles of the old pharmacy area are now gone.

Lastly expect the Grocery section to soon fall under the saws and hammers of construction workers as some of the ambient light fixtures eluminating the dairy cases containing the yougerts, buiscuits, butter, etc. along with some the display graphic have been removed.

Check out lanes 11 and 12 are currenly being installed which willl leave only two more lanes to go and the last bit of drop ceiling before the checkout lanes are done. Heading to the back of the sales floor, one will find that the asiles of the old pharmacy area are now gone.

Lastly expect the Grocery section to soon fall under the saws and hammers of construction workers as some of the ambient light fixtures eluminating the dairy cases containing the yougerts, buiscuits, butter, etc. along with some the display graphic have been removed.

The ceiling lights of the groceries are still in place. However, if go back to the very last aisle and look up at where the wall juts out and overhangs the refrigerated cases containing yogurt, butter, biscuits, etc. you will noticed that the small angled florescent lights mounted on the underside of the blue band have been removed.

As for the beauty products, about half of the stock has been moved to the new pharmacy area.

Do you mean the lights on the ceiling are now down? Is the beauty stuff also in the new area too?

Construction Update:

Demolition of the over hanging wall that started above very back aisle of the groceries has now expanded over the milk and eggs and the meat cases. Meanwhile the back wall of the sales floor from E4 up to bottle return has been painted and some of the graphics applied. Also, new tile is already being laid in the old pharmacy area. Next the last bit of ceiling over the clothing area has been painted and lights installed. Basically the ceiling from the North Concourse southward and from the checkout lanes westward are done. Outside foundation work has begun for new cinder block walls to be built at the north east corner of the building.

Overall the interior is looking better and better with each passing day. Go Meijer! Go!

Construction Update:

Demolition of the over hanging wall that started above very back aisle of the groceries has now expanded over the milk and eggs and the meat cases. Meanwhile the back wall of the sales floor from E4 up to bottle return has been painted and some of the graphics applied. Also, new tile is already being laid in the old pharmacy area. Next the last bit of ceiling over the clothing area has been painted and lights installed. Basically the ceiling from the North Concourse southward and from the checkout lanes westward are done. Outside foundation work has begun for new cinder block walls to be built at the north east corner of the building.

Overall the interior is looking better and better with each passing day. Go Meijer! Go!

Yeap! The Over hanging walls over the meat coolers, milk, and the very back aisle are gone revealing nice straight walls. Thus it now feels open and spacious back there. I can't wait to see what new paitwork and lighting does back there.

As for the graphics, only some of them were applied to the back wall since my last visit. Once the poster graphics are up the back wall will look more colorful.

With the graphics, for some reason, it seemed like the meijer out on Wilson had beautiful and colorful graphics on the walls. The ones at the Alpine meijer didn't have them beautiful color ones in the new part unless they did that or are going to do that. Do you mean that kinda low ceiling in the main isle where the meets are located that is coming down? That would be good if that is the case and that it's not coming back. I liked the other meijer stores better that didn't have that over hanging wall/ceiling if under it.

i asked an old manager of mine a few Q's about this building, and I forgot to ask the important ones! *doh*

Anyway, GM is mostly done, theres some wires and things that need to be taken care of, but for the most part its finished. All of the temp lights are down, and most of the store is in place. This store is second only to Knapp's Corner for size in the area. The outlet store that used to be by Plainfield, but will now be on Alpine near Lamoreaux.

Would it be the bowling alley on Alpine Ave. about 500 ft north of Lamoreaux St.? I was looking on Google Earth and from what I could tell, the bowling alley is the only building in that area big enough to house the outlet store. That is unless the outlet plans to build build a new building somewhere in the area.

i asked an old manager of mine a few Q's about this building, and I forgot to ask the important ones! *doh*

Anyway, GM is mostly done, theres some wires and things that need to be taken care of, but for the most part its finished. All of the temp lights are down, and most of the store is in place. This store is second only to Knapp's Corner for size in the area. The outlet store that used to be by Plainfield, but will now be on Alpine near Lamoreaux.

Would it be the bowling alley on Alpine Ave. about 500 ft north of Lamoreaux St.? I was looking on Google Earth and from what I could tell, the bowling alley is the only building in that area big enough to house the outlet store. That is unless the outlet plans to build build a new building somewhere in the area.

Just South of the 7 mile Rd. and Alpine Intersection....Gotcha. Got to love Google Earth. You will find me at the Alpine Meijer on a weekday sometime during early to mid afternoons.

I had the site incorrect previously. (My second mistake ever!) It's going in what was a Red Shield thrift w-a-y north on Alpine, presently labeled with Georgia (??) Carpet Outlet. Directly across from a Speedway.

When I hit the door yesterday someone was in the parking lot scribbling notes. I almost said, "hi, Tamias," but it turns out the person works there. (Telltale red shirt.)

Doc's Update:

We will start outside at both the grocery and retail entry. They were digging up cement just outside of both of the new entries. To me, this is signs that soon, we will see the new entrys starting to get built from the outside.

Beginning at the checkout lanes. lanes 14 and 13 are still missing, and the drop ceiling panels are now all installed. One could maybe notice that there are little holes in some of the ceiling panels. I think they maybe putting ceiling fans back up soon. Next, I saw the hanging wall gone, wow, hopefully it ain't coming back. Moving to the old pharmacy area. Where the old health products were, they were just getting ready to install new flooring there. They were putting this white type of thing on the floor. I saw the graphics up on the wall that said plumbing/electrical, pets, etc... That all looks like it's completed. Just to the south of where they were putting the new floor down were a lot of empty shelves ready to take stock for the pets and other things.

Next, flooring from about where construction tools used to be and some sporting good type stuff was all removed, and crews were sweeping in that area. In the clothing area, still a little mess yet by where the men's dept is at and some empty shelves yet.

If you go by where the new grocery entrance is to be built, you will notice that they took out some wood and replaced it with plastic so you can see inside the new grocery entry inside the store.

One may also notice a fire alarm system being installed in the store as well. There are little red fire alarm things starting from the new expansion going to almost the grocery area. They are on the ceiling.

well that's all I've got. I do want to say that the out door on the center entrance may have been loose and I got hit by the door going out. ouch. Hopefully they put new doors up soon.

Construction Update:

Inside beginning in the retail section of the store, the blue boarder tile defining the new south concourse is about 3/4 complete the more field tile going in. Just to the west of the greeting cards are located a 20' x 40' section of floor is being prepped for new tile work. This area is most likely to become the new floral dept. Moving westward by about down the slowly emerging new south concourse, one with find the new furniture dept. in place and complete on the concourses north side while further west, additional shelving is in place which will become the new housewares dept. Heading north up the back concourse to the former location of greeting cards, cosmetics, health and beauty, and the old pharmacy, one will notice that the paint dept. is nearly complete and partially open, however the paint mixing counter has yet to be installed. However the more noticeable change is the emerging new pet dept. The floor is complete and shelving is about 85% installed. Highlighting the new pet dept. are the small pets which are predominately displayed at the north east corner where video cassettes and DVD's were ounce located. Heading into the Grocery section a new wall overhang is being constructed over the eggs and milk coolers as well as the meat coolers just to the east. Moving to the Deli and Bakery, one will find that the wall hangs over these areas are now missing while construction work has spread into the deli and bakery. However despite that these dept. have somehow remained open and in full service. That cannot be said for the north east corner of the store as it has been sectioned off and in the the beginning stages of demolition.

Moving outside, work on the new entries is picking up the pace as foundation work is under way, however no further demolition as taken place on affect areas of the building yet. On the north east corner of the building a new cinder block wall is quickly filling in the exposed entry to the former garden center. While the new garden center is in the mists of setting up for the warm season. The canopy shades have been retracted while the southern most two rows of parking have been section off for displaying landscaping merchandise.

Here are some shots from today...

New Pharmacy Drive-Through Window advertising its presences.

drivethruopennz4.jpg

Foundation occurring at new Grocery Entry

fondationworkgroceryentcz4.jpg

Worker at Retail Entry prepping forms

workerprepingformsatretwg2.jpg

Cinder block wall going up and ongoing work on NE corner of the building

cinderblockwallgoingupnoj5.jpg

workonnecornerofblghw9.jpg

Walk along the center aisle dividing Grocery from Everything Else, and check out the difference in appearance. That new white ceiling looks sharp!

I like the way the clearance shelves keep finding new homes. Like a treasure hunt.

Some disparage Fred's selling pets in the same air space as groceries, but geeze! The food is all wrapped, and what isn't should get washed prior to consumption. And the pet:air ratio in many homes is much higher.

Walk along the center aisle dividing Grocery from Everything Else, and check out the difference in appearance. That new white ceiling looks sharp!

I like the way the clearance shelves keep finding new homes. Like a treasure hunt.

Some disparage Fred's selling pets in the same air space as groceries, but geeze! The food is all wrapped, and what isn't should get washed prior to consumption. And the pet:air ratio in many homes is much higher.

Archived