Alpine Meijer To Get New Face

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I have to admit I only read the last page or so, but I am looking forward to seeing the completed project! I used to shop that store all the time and now that I am on the NE side, I go to Knapp and Beltline and am spoiled by that nice store. Alpine really needed some updates.

I'll have to look through this thread more to see what's been said about the outlet coming to Apline...

Love the pictures (and the note to shoplifters! :lol: )

Docs Construction Update:

First thing I want to tell everyone who is planning on shopping at meijer. The south temp entrance is now shut down to work on the building of the new retail entrance. I repeat, the south entrance is closed! Please use the middle and north entrances. I did bring my camera, but saw a lot of construction workers, so I didn't want to take pictures. I did take one of the new grocery entrance, but haven't developed it yet.

I went in through the north entrance, and I look to the right when I get in and where the pets used to be, they were working away in there. I saw that they were welding so I didn't really look in there much. Also, it smelled like fumes when you walked in, and there's a lot of equipment noise going as well. Pets are also in a temp location by the bakery dept. I didn't go in that area too far because it was smelling like fumes all around there.

Moving a little southward from the entrance. The first thing I do want to say is that greeters are giving a sheet of what the store aisles are like, and it's also posted by there as well. It was updated the 19th.

Moving a little westward. Some of the new lighting that was up in the boys/girls department was functioning.

Moving a little southward. The woman's department was sectioned off in preperations of painting the ceiling and removing the carpet from there, and then eventually putting down new flooring.

Over at Guest Services: One would notice that the words guest services has come off the wall. Inside, still working on it, but it's starting to take shape.

Right after the elevator, you can't walk past there. All sectioned off.

Moving west, once you got down a ways, you could actually see from a good distance into the new expansion of the store. It was lit up, and they were in the process of cleaning things up in there to get ready to put shelving in there. Lots of hard hats in there. I finally made my way to the brand new e4 department. Still not that bright back there, the photo lab I do believe is open, and they still about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way stocked. Still not organized yet.

Moving North, Layway was all torn up. That's all I know from there.

Moving further north, music shelves were all empty and are now in e4. Signs are posted saying where they are.

Well that about wraps it up. That was abouit all I saw. Stay tuned for more updates from me or others.

Construction Update:

The big news of this update is that E4 is open for business. But unlike the E4 found at the Standale Meijer, Alpine Meijer's new E4 is much better and has a wider selection of products. Also video and still cameras are displayed at the entry point to the department instead of the back. Check out Veloise's bold shots taken a couple of nights ago. The second big news of the day is the closure and demolition of the temporary retail entrance. The south end of the promenade up to the elevator is sectioned off by plastic while inside the sectioned off area, the temporary retail entrance, restrooms, old photo lab, and the former tobaccos sales have been completely demolished along with the partition that defined the south end of the concourse from the housewares, and former consumers electronics areas. Outside a worker was beginning to demolish a section of the front awning that stood in the way of the planed location of the new retail entrance. To enter the store, one must now use the ether the existing grocery entrance or the center entrance.

Going back inside, floor work and paint work on the ceiling in the north half of the clothing dept. are complete. Also most of the new lighting in that area are up and running making that area and E4 the brightest sections of the store. With this area mostly done, construction workers have shifted there attention to the south east quadrant of the clothing dept as that area is now sectioned off and the removal of ductwork and plumbing from that section of ceiling was underway. Meanwhile at the north east corner of the store demolition of the wall that accommodated aquariums small pets is complete. Added to that, it was obvious, although unseen, that workers were cutting into the buildings steel structure in that area using plasma cutters as one got the strong bitter sweet oder of melting and burning metal.

Lastly going outside once more, the shade canopy being constructed in the front half of the garden center is fast taking shape as horizontal cross members were installed on the vertical columns put in place last week.

Now for a couple of pictures. (Although I'll leave the interior shots to a very brave and bold Veloise :thumbsup: )

Closed Retail Entry and Demo starting on Front Awning

closedretailentryanddemgm1.jpg

Garden Center's shade Canopy taking shape.

sahecanopyhorizonalmembab3.jpg

Construction Update:

E4, having been open for a couple of days, is now is fully stocked and organized with the exception of one of the "Playstation 2" video game display cabinets The Photo lab is up and running along with some of the self help digital photo kiosks. Moving eastward, I got a good view into the rest of the addition. Floor tiles and paint work on the walls are now all the way up to the pharmacy. Even the department names and graphics are hung as well. The Pharmacy itself has finally been drywalled and is awaiting paint. Again moving east up the retail concourse one will find workers in man lifts doing some work on the ceiling above the furniture area while in the sectioned off area enclosing the south half of the clothing dept. the floor was being striped of carpet and old tiles followed by a thorough cleaning in preparation of new floor tile. Of note: I forgot that to include in one of my previous updates that the new floor tile being installed has a self adhesive backer which explains why the tile work goes so fast. No waiting for mortar and grout to dry equals quick, easy, and efficient work. Somebody on this thread had positive reactions to the wood floor tiles. I've seen floor tiles that look like real wood floors, such as those being installed at Meijer, at any of the home centers. So its easy to get Meijer looking floors in one's own home. Anyway back to the update. On the north end of the checkout lanes, a 20 by 20 foot section of flooring was sectioned off as workers were applying a coat of self leveling thin set in preparation for yet more tile work. This area I'm predicting will accommodate a cart coral to which another will be found at the opposite end later down the renovation's time line. At the north east area of the store the small pets were returned to their cages so you can once again go and buy your kid a hamster. Lastly, for the interior, Guest Services has been renamed "Customer Service" as boldly indicated by new navy blue sanserif lettering installed on the blue frieze above the service counter.

Outside, ongoing demolition work on the front awning section at the planned location of the new retail entrance has striped away all of the finish surfaces and substrates leaving the metal structure within exposed while work at the new grocery entrance goes on. Next one will find a plastic tent erected just off of the addition in front of the new garden center's canopy. Inside this tent one can see a large hole has been dug. I'm assuming this is for work to integrate the storm water collection system upgrades to the building. Wrapping things up an excavator and bob cat were at the south east corner of the property doing grade grade work next to the RAPID bus stop.

Now for some pictures

A peek inside the area planned for the new grocery entrance

peekinsidenewgroceryentzm3.jpg

On going demo work on front awning at planned location of new retail entry

frontawningdemoworkzc6.jpg

Some big Tim Allan toys in action at south east corner of property

gradeworkatsecournerofpgd9.jpg

I'm pretty sure they will bore out the hole just before going into construction mode on the grocery entry. Oh.. about the mice and rats. Don't worry about them. They will just fine their way into a jar or too of Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Yum! :thumbsup:

A peek inside the area planned for the new grocery entrance

peekinsidenewgroceryentzm3.jpg

That sure dosen't seem big enough for 4 doors. Also, mice and rats could easily get in through there if that sits open.

Those point-of-sale coupons that print out? The ones related to what you just scanned? There's now one that proclaims the Thrifty Outlet's pending move to the Alpine store area.

Oh, and Corp's official line on photos: don't bother asking because we won't give permission. (I asked.)

Is that the outlet store being displaced by the new Plainfield Meijer store soon to be built?

....Thrifty Outlet's pending move to the Alpine store area.

Oh, and Corp's official line on photos: don't bother asking because we won't give permission. (I asked.)

Construction Update:

As a demonstration of the breakneck pace this renovation has been relentlessly maintaining, the midsection of the Addition that includes Office and School Supplies, Board Games, Toys, Bicycles, and Seasonal is now open. This leaves only the Pharmacy/ Health and Beauty Areas at the front of the addition under the shroud of temporary walls and plastic. Added to this, the new flooring as well as paintwork on the ceiling of the south half of the clothing dept are done. This space is now being fitted with beautiful new displays and racks that will give the clothing dept. a very high end department store look. Once the clothing dept. is fully furnished, one will feel like shopping at Macy's than at a discount grocer/retailer. Next the new light fixtures installed over the automotive and hardware areas last week are now functioning. Moving northward along the back of the sales floor, construction work is going on at the layaway room which is now missing its north wall. It is still unclear to me as to what will happen to this space. But as stated in one of my previous posts, layaway may look like those found at new Meijer stores, complete with small service deck, double swing doors to the back room, and a pair of restrooms. Heading to the north east corner of the store one will find that in addition of the east wall that accommodated the small pets, fish, and birds, being gone, the entire space behind that wall including the second story floor deck has been completely demolished leaving only the bare cinder block walls and the exposed ceiling. This leaves plenty of room for the new Deli, Bakery and Purple Cow. Moving southward to the checkout lanes, the north half of the new drop ceiling above has been paneled making for a nice bright and very clean look. Also the cosmetic revisions to Customer Service is now complete giving that space a very friendly and inviting look. Lastly going back to the south east corner of the store, One will find one of the walls defining the new Retail Entrance has been roughed in.

Outside, starting at the work at the location of the new grocery entry, one will currently find a bobcat entering and leaving that gutted space as it hauls away large chunks of concrete flooring with its front end loader attachment. Moving southward to the location of the new retail entry demolition workers have broken through the exterior wall leaving behind an eight foot high by fourteen foot wide hole covered in plywood. Moving further southward to the new garden center, workers were attaching metal studs on along the edges of the canopy which will receive navy blue finish trim panels alonf with doing more work on the roof while the shade canopy was being worked on by two workers in a man lift. Last but not least, grade work on the south east corner of the property by the bus stop is nearly finish as one can see the outlines of new side walks that will better connect Alpine Ave. to the Meijer Property.

In all I'm still mesmerized by the frenzied pace of construction here at the Alpine store. If construction for some of the more glitzy projects like the new Medical Towers went non-stopped 24 a day think how much could get accomplished.

One more thing: Meijer has posted a webpage pertaining the remodeling going on at various stores including the Alpine Store. It gives a preview of what the stores will look like with they are done.

Link to Meijer's store remodel webpage

Now for some Pictures.

Grade work at SE corner of property nearly done, outlines of sidewalks seen

finishedgradeworkoutlinwo1.jpg

Metal Studs being attached to new garden center's canopy

workersinstallingstudstko5.jpg

Garden Center Canopy with metal studs

canopywstudsoc6.jpg

Bob cat at new grocery entry receiving more chunks of old concrete to haul away

bobcatatnewgroceryentrywh1.jpg

Demolition at retail entry leaving a plywood covered hole on front wall

bigholeatretailentrycq2.jpg

Workers busy on the new Garden Center's shade canopy

workingonshadecanopyfx4.jpg

Going by the interior wall workers have roughed in next to the closed temporary retail entrance, that space is likely to become the cart warming room while the new retail entrance will be located just to the north at the former photo lab (now completely demolished). Since the doors of the temporary retail entrance were recycled from the original retail entrance, it is very likely that contractors will opt. to go with all new automatic doors in all three entrances to the store.

In addition, I will reiterate one of my previous posts pertaining to what the new Grocery and Retail entrances will look like.

Based on the new Iona Meijer, which feature nearly the exact entrances as the ones to be built at the Alpine Store, The grocery entrance and the retail entrance each are very likely to feature four automatic doors, two leading into the store and the other two leading out. Each entrance will be accompanied by a cart warming room accessed by its own set of double doors.

Here's a couple of images from my prediction model to illustrate.

The Retail Entrance as predicted.

predictedretailentryxk6.jpg

The Predicted Grocery Entrance

predictedgroceryentrancnj3.jpg

The Retail Entrance Interior.

predictedretailentryintyb1.jpg

The Predicted Grocery Entrance Interior

predictedgroceryentrancge8.jpg

Looking NW at the Predicted Store Front based on renderings displayed at the Alpine Meijer.

predictedstorefrontuf7.jpg

Over at the retail entrance, are they going to build 4 new doors to the right of the entrance or build 2 more doors and then redo the current two up there?

Archived