Downtown Raleigh's Future

Here is where you can download or view the the State of Downtown Raleigh report.  Personally I love the way they present this tax revenue per acre for example.  Very good report.  What Raleigh may lack in tall high rises compared to Charlotte I think it makes up for in streetscape and pedestrian experience.  

State of Downtown Raleigh 2023

All the residential development is great for the downtown area.  First time I have seen the stat on how much the State of NC has in office space (3.5 M sq ft) 

• Like 4

On 9/14/2023 at 2:09 PM, KJHburg said:

All the residential development is great for the downtown area.  First time I have seen the stat on how much the State of NC has in office space (3.5 M sq ft) 

For what its worth, the chatter is again to move offices out near the fairgrounds. Parts of DEQ are looking to be moved so make space for DPS in Archdale (the DEQ that won't fit in Green Square.  the borg and the Admin building are on the chopping block, with Admin being a rebuild (that would take a few years) and the borg future plan unknown. so no net gain for downtown but a substantial reconfiguration nonetheless. Always a hope to sell off to more private projects since State employees mostly don't want to be downtown (a few do like me, but most never leave the campus) and therefore contribute little to downtown spending and such. They just require several half empty parking decks taking up space that that could be used better. 

• Thanks 2

550-room Omni Hotel and Resort has been proposed on Fayetteville Street. The process to negotiate with the developer has started.  

Update: "Omni Hotels and Resorts plans to build a 550-room hotel featuring a rooftop pool, spa, and meeting space. It will be built on a parking lot across from the Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts. The 27-story hotel will be about as tall as the Truist tower. Raleigh city council selected the developer to build a new luxury hotel downtown to allow for bigger conventions."

Edited by carolina1792
Updated details.
  • Like 3

So the Omni is going to block the view between the Capitol and Memorial? Not sure that's a good move. For a city with relatively few 'thats cool' items, the book ends of a Greek revival Capitol and a Classical revival performing arts center are among the best tandem building sets I can think of in the SE. Akin to the US Capitol and Lincoln Memorial tandem on a smaller and less renowned scale. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

So the Omni is going to block the view between the Capitol and Memorial? Not sure that's a good move. For a city with relatively few 'thats cool' items, the book ends of a Greek revival Capitol and a Classical revival performing arts center are among the best tandem building sets I can think of in the SE. Akin to the US Capitol and Lincoln Memorial tandem on a smaller and less renowned scale. 

It's not going to block the view between these places, because this development is only taking up one of the two blocks. The other block will be developed later on.

1 minute ago, J.Kirk said:

It's not going to block the view between these places, because this development is only taking up one of the two blocks. The other block will be developed later on.

Got any site plans or something I can look at? The only article I read said Salisbury to Wilmington which would block the view. 

12 hours ago, J.Kirk said:

Per this rendering, there will be a skinny plaza between the hotel and other development. 

rendering.jpeg

Furthermore, just to use the DTRaleigh Forum, Johnathan Melton has said the two City-owned parcels in front of the PAC will be open space, and that they will determine next steps on the other parcel in the next few weeks. He mentioned he is in favor of resubmitting an RFI for multifamily mixed-use. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, KJHburg said:

The proposal the city of Raleigh picked for Moore Square East includes local developers and Greystar which is the largest apartment management firm in the country,

Here is the proposal and combines high rise apartment market rate tower,  affordable housing component, a new Raleigh Rescue Mission and possible grocery store and hotel.

Redevelopment of Moore Square East and South | Raleighnc.gov

Redevelopment of Moore Square East and South - Loden East RFP (usgovcloudapi.net)   detail plans here   Looks like a 30 plus story high rise apartment tower.  In Charlotte they have built the 33 story Ascent Uptown apartment tower. 

Wouldn't trust Greystar to do anything but make themselves money. Smell a tad corrupt to me anyway after apparently landing prime State owned parcels not once, but twice in Raleigh without any RFP process (Elan City Center and off Pullen)

• 3 weeks later...