Small Town Photo Tour: York

digital_sandlapper

Here are a few photos I took while finally exploring York this past Saturday. Nice town--the downtown was particularly cool, with a few hip stores, an active movie theatre with its original sign, an inviting pub or two, and cafes and boutiques.

post-9585-1159238243_thumb.jpg

Cool, tiny little spa (!)

post-9585-1159238283_thumb.jpg

View of some historic buildings.

post-9585-1159238307_thumb.jpg

Very charming downtown York.

post-9585-1159238325_thumb.jpg

Enticing pub.

post-9585-1159238351_thumb.jpg

Old movie house, the "Sylvia" now shows indie films (I think).

post-9585-1159238386_thumb.jpg

The old jail has been adaptively reused as residences--very nice job.

post-9585-1159238427_thumb.jpg

Old hotel has been splendidly restored as condos/office space.

post-9585-1159238444_thumb.jpg

York County Courthouse.

post-9585-1159238477_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238405_thumb.jpg

No, this is not Charleston, but a very old building in York now used for weddings (front and back view).

Hope you enjoy them!

post-9585-1159238243_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238283_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238307_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238325_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238351_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238386_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238405_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238427_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238444_thumb.jpg

post-9585-1159238477_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, you got to it before I did. I actually took some shots of downtown York a few weeks ago, but didn't get the chance to upload them from my digital camera or save them to a CD so I had to delete them. But it's OK, since there were a few jewels you missed that I'll have the chance to get next time I venture up that way. ;)

I have actually never stepped foot in SC except for Carowinds. I'm not exactly sure of York's location. From the photos it looks like my size town.

Carowinds is in York County, as is Rock Hill and its namesake county seat where these pictures were taken. Kinda far as a commute to/from Charlotte, and off the beaten path, though. Maybe they like it that way . . . York also had lots of cool houses, which I didn't have time to capture, including some that need loving restoration. Those could probably be had for a steal!

Wow, you got to it before I did. I actually took some shots of downtown York a few weeks ago, but didn't get the chance to upload them from my digital camera or save them to a CD so I had to delete them. But it's OK, since there were a few jewels you missed that I'll have the chance to get next time I venture up that way. ;)

Yeah, there were lots of houses I didn't get to snap photos of . . there was one that was particularly nice north of downtown, on the left, on the corner of the road going toward York Place. It and several others before it on the left had beautiful arched windows that went from floor to ceiling just about. Striking and unusual . . I will have to photograph them next time.

BTW, York was the last town in the state that I had not yet visited, so I had great personal satisfaction accomplishing that. Now, it's time to start over! So much has changed, I'm sure, in many of those that I need to re-visit. I also enjoy traveling to cities and towns in other states, of course, and photographing them. But there's nothing like a little road trip . . .

dig_sandlapper - I can't thank you enough for taking & sharing these pictures! I haven't been through York in probably 10 or 15 years so I had no idea the downtown looks so much better than it did when I was growing up. Or I should preface that - when downtown went downhill after the Walmart opened in the early 80's. I have a lot of good memories of York, especially during the 70's when they used to paint all the fire hydrants as different faces. Then the Belks was open & the town center was quite active. But things took a nose dive after Walmart opened (or to be fair - maybe coincidence?), I remember a few buildings were burnt down, including a Charleston style wooden rowhouse complex parrallel to the railroad tracks.

Anyways - I do thank you & pillsbury & jerseyman, good observation b/c there are many similarities between Aiken & York. Both towns were settled in the 1700's as summer vacation homes for the wealthy plantation owners & Charlestonians. There are a number of beautiful antebellum mansions on Liberty St (I think that's the main drag).

Still - never would have expected York to become a boutique exurb for the Charlotteans. Still, it shouldn't surprise anyone - York became popular in it's early era as a summer haven for Charleston and it's redeveloped into a bedroom haven for Charlotte.

dig_sandlapper - I can't thank you enough for taking & sharing these pictures! I haven't been through York in probably 10 or 15 years so I had no idea the downtown looks so much better than it did when I was growing up. Or I should preface that - when downtown went downhill after the Walmart opened in the early 80's. I have a lot of good memories of York, especially during the 70's when they used to paint all the fire hydrants as different faces. Then the Belks was open & the town center was quite active. But things took a nose dive after Walmart opened (or to be fair - maybe coincidence?), I remember a few buildings were burnt down, including a Charleston style wooden rowhouse complex parrallel to the railroad tracks.

Anyways - I do thank you & pillsbury & jerseyman, good observation b/c there are many similarities between Aiken & York. Both towns were settled in the 1700's as summer vacation homes for the wealthy plantation owners & Charlestonians. There are a number of beautiful antebellum mansions on Liberty St (I think that's the main drag).

Still - never would have expected York to become a boutique exurb for the Charlotteans. Still, it shouldn't surprise anyone - York became popular in it's early era as a summer haven for Charleston and it's redeveloped into a bedroom haven for Charlotte.

teshadoh, you are welcome. Thanks for noticing. Downtown York is similar to Aiken, but that town is much larger and much, much more vibrant than any other small town I know in S.C. (except for Beaufort). That's why I am in love with Aiken so!

York an exurb of Charlotte? Hmm . . I was wondering if that may become the case. That commute sounds rough, but if York keeps getting more and more hip, it'll be sure to happen. It has loads of charm, and several fabulous houses begging for restoration. Wish it were closer to Columbia, so I could do it. (Same goes for Aiken!)

York is in a pretty good spot. Its only 20-30 mins from Rock Hill, which has most big box stores, and its a nice town for those things, and then you are 45-55 mins or so from Charlotte (depending on what part), which has all of your big city needs. The problem is that if you live there, you will likely work in Rock Hill or Charlotte too, so be ready for that commute.

Archived